Author Topic: Perch Fishing in Ontario  (Read 2917 times)

lutzey

Perch Fishing in Ontario
« on: Jan 14, 2006, 09:15 AM »
I am looking to take a small trip to Ontario to catch some hardwater perch. Last time I was fishing in Canada was over 20 years ago when I was 8 years old. Would anyone be willing to give me suggestions on good lakes to fish? I will be coming from Wisconsin in early March, however, distance isn't too much of an issue. I may also be interested in a guide, depending on the size of the lake. Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Thanks,

Lutzey

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Perch Fishing in Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2006, 09:33 AM »
Simcoe..Simcoe..Simcoe ....Every mag that I read boasts that Simcoe is the Ontario destination when it comes to Jumbo perch fishing...I myself got skunked last year..but thats just me

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2006, 09:41 AM »
Have not been there myself but Simcoe has amazing perch fishing.....As icejunky mentioned, pick up any Ontario mag, and your sure to find info .....

-Andrew
Andrew

Offline Slop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2006, 10:13 AM »
Simcoe would probably be your best bet for #'s and size Lutzey. There are other options but the drive would be brutal. Heres a link with some more info on what Ontario has to offer.

http://www.fishontario.com/ice-fishing/articles/panfish_hotspots/index.html

Slop

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2006, 04:17 PM »
If your Hitting SImcoe... I wont Be your Guide .. but ill sure help ya out as much as i can... Maps places to hit... that sort of thing early March is Amazing for perch... Great sun days out there and all that... ANyhow Let me know if your coming when your coming and all that and ill try to set ya up... Like i do the other members:>:> LOL but yes id suggest SImcoe as well...
TIght lines!!!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

lutzey

« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2006, 06:24 PM »
Thanks guys....looks like Simcoe is the place to be!! And Germ, I will let you know what I plan one doing. 

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Offline Sunburn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2006, 09:43 PM »
I'm from New York and have fished Simcoe several times.  If you catch it right the perch fishing is truly amazing! Sometimes the action is non-stop! We usually fish Cook's Bay when we head up there, but have also done well in the main lake.  If you choose to fish Cooks Bay you probably won't need a guide, however if you venture to the main lake you may because it's quite big.

Offline FISHINGFAMILY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2006, 08:33 AM »
hi there,me my son and 2 other guys went up there on saturday near clovely cove road ,we only had to go out about 2,00 feet from shore to hit the schools of perch,the bite was on and off all day but we all caught about 60 apiece and each guy came home with about 25 keepers  8" and over most were 10 or 11",once we found a god spot my son and i fished the same spot from 9 am till 5pm,the ice was at least 12" thick,good luck if you go,we dont use guides
 ;D
WORK IS FOR PEOPLE THAT DONT FISH!

Offline dewyg

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing Partners
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2006, 08:59 AM »
I have my shack on LOTW and have been catching hog perch this year,plenty over 12 and at least 10 over 14 with two in the 15 inch class. Most of the local guys leave all perch on the ice the think that they are all full of worms. I usually pick them up and take them home with me. Often I will find 12-14 inch perch lying on the ice waiting for the scavengers to eat them. More for me at the top of the food chain.
Set the hook and keep your line tight!

Offline FISHINGFAMILY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2006, 12:43 PM »
nice dewg,we drive three hours from ny to get there and no way we are gonna leave anything over 8" ,we eat the simcoe perch and never got any worms that we know if,lol,any suggestions for getting the killer big ones you get,we are usually fishing in 26fow,our biggest has been 11 so far ,hoping to be back in a few weeks or so for some more tasty perch,

Offline dewyg

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing Partners
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2006, 07:16 PM »
I'm fishing on the deep side of a 17ft ree I'm at 42 feet and catching numerous fish including limiting out on walleye.(pickeral). We have even caught whitefish, which is new for me.
Set the hook and keep your line tight!

Offline FISHINGFAMILY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2006, 02:45 PM »
sounds like you have one hell of a honey hole to me,i use a vex and a camera and have only seen perch,one of my buddies lost a white fish at the hole 2 weeks ago he was bummed out,with the camera we were hoping to see some white fish cruising around,i hope to go back up in 2 weeks for some more we go out by clovely cove road i hope we can find a big school again my boys love it there,it is nice to have aggressive bites,well good luck next time out

Offline FISHINGFAMILY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2006, 05:27 PM »

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2006, 07:14 PM »
WEll psot some of these pics of the HOG perch :>
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline Road Toad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2006, 08:24 PM »
Caught a 14" perch last week.  10 - 12" are common this year.  Not getting skunked this year - can't keep them off the lines!!!

Offline FISHINGFAMILY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2006, 07:51 PM »
HERE ARE A FEW OF THE PERCH,we went this past saturday as well and caught 85 and kept 21,3 were 12"
http://www.lakesimcoemessageboard.com/post_images/p1010022.jpg

Offline Yogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2006, 09:57 PM »
Hey I am thinking about coming up there actually if the wife lets me I am coming up there.  You seem like you know what you are talking about.  I have a few questions.  What is the limit for perch up there.  I read the regulations and they are kind of confusing.  Where would you recommend staying at up there.  And do I need a guide. Most people are 50/50 on if you do or not.  I heard good stories and bad.  How much will it cost a non resident for a license.  If you could help me out that would be awesome.  Where would you recommend me going out of. 

Thanks
Yogi

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2006, 07:46 AM »
Take a peek at this thread.....Look for my posts I have added 2 links to websites that will tell you all you need to know about fishing in Ontario and Smcoe

Offline FISHINGFAMILY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2006, 10:03 PM »
HI YOGI,
it all depends on the equipment you have and how well you are at pulling your gear out on the ice,i have a 2 man hut and with all the gear it is around a 100 lbs, and heavy if the snow on top is warm and light if the ice is clean and cold,we go out till we find the fish usually forus it is around 22-26 feet of water,a full blown license is $64 and you keep 50 perch per day,i have never kept that many the most keepers for us was 22,if you look on line you can find many guides for all areas and types of fish,they all take you out but if you arent on a school they alll dont move you around,sometimes just moving a 100 feet is all it takes,with simcoe perch all sorts of things work,we usually use a medium spoon are a minnow to attract them in and then switch the types of bait to keep them interested and biting,good luck if you go we are coming out from buffalo again an friday the 17 ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.