The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Global W.  (Read 3801 times)

Offline HTguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Global W.
« on: Feb 25, 2015, 07:37 PM »
I guess Global Warming is obsolete now because we are having all this cold weather, especially with all that fraudulent data!!!!!! :o ;D

Offline zorchester21

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Global W.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2015, 07:39 PM »
I dont know it hit 25 today... ::)  Felt pretty warm to me ;D

Offline Epkomd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2015, 07:41 PM »
I saw 37° this afternoon... First time its been above freezing in awhile..

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2015, 07:42 PM »

Offline HTguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2015, 07:43 PM »
How about 2 or 3 nights ago, -15 in some parts of the state!!! :o ;D

Offline zorchester21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2015, 07:46 PM »
Global cooling ;D Gotta have both :)

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2015, 08:25 PM »
How about 2 or 3 nights ago, -15 in some parts of the state!!! :o ;D
-28f in st. francis near allagash!

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2015, 08:32 PM »
The cold weather is a result of global warming....19 below on my truck temp gauge  in windham when I left for work the other day......damn ph.
_

Offline HTguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2015, 08:54 PM »
The cold weather is a result of global warming....19 below on my truck temp gauge  in windham when I left for work the other day......damn ph.
_

How is it a result?

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:08 PM »

How is it a result?

I don't really know,i'm watching Animal Planet and they're talking about Megaladon and giant squid attacking ships and they're blaming it on global warming so it must be true  ;)

Offline shellback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:24 PM »
It's amazing that no matter what the weather is it is because of global warming.I remember in the 70s the big story was the next ice age was coming.The problem I have is people pushing science theory off as science fact.200 years or so of recorded history is nothing but a blink of an eye as far as the earth is concerned so when I hear it has never been this cold or this warm or this rainy or this dry or anything it makes me wonder.If you had the equipment to measure things the way you can now a thousand years ago and have been compiling that data since then maybe you have something but when you have it in such a short span all I can think of is chicken little.

Offline marabou

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2015, 03:53 AM »
Look at Alaska and BC right now pretty weird

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2015, 04:28 AM »
"For example, the authors write that “‘global warming’ has not been global.” This is true, but it’s irrelevant because climate experts don’t claim that the Earth will heat up the same amount everywhere. This is why many scientists prefer the terms “climate change” or “climate disruption” to the term “global warming.” Some parts of the globe will warm a lot, some will warm a little, and a few will cool. Pointing to those few areas that have remained cool or only warmed a little is irrelevant.”
http://scholarsandrogues.com/2014/01/26/supreme-court-amici-curiae-epa-climate-change-greenhouse-gas-regulation/

"They still give us good sense of the long-term picture, the one that is more important for us to worry about anyway: that temperatures are increasing, and that natural factors can’t explain this increase. As the researchers argue, then, their findings ought to put to rest assertions by climate “skeptics” that climate models overestimate how much warming we’re going to get.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2015/02/04/no-climate-models-didnt-overestimate-global-warming/

There’s this too; probably the most up to date research on the topic: "Ocean acidification is a global, long-term problem whose ultimate solution requires carbon dioxide reduction at a scope and scale that will take decades to accomplish successfully. Until that is achieved, feasible and locally relevant adaptation and mitigation measures are needed. To help to prioritize societal responses to ocean acidification, we present a spatially explicit, multidisciplinary vulnerability analysis of coastal human communities in the United States. We focus our analysis on shelled mollusc harvests, which are likely to be harmed by ocean acidification. Our results highlight US regions most vulnerable to ocean acidification (and why), important knowledge and information gaps, and opportunities to adapt through local actions. The research illustrates the benefits of integrating natural and social sciences to identify actions and other opportunities while policy, stakeholders and scientists are still in relatively early stages of developing research plans and responses to ocean acidification.”   http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/v5/n3/full/nclimate2508.html

"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Why work when you can fish?
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2015, 04:50 AM »
Global warming is caused by to large of a goat and sheep herd! ;D
Is it ice time yet???

Offline GRGS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2015, 04:55 AM »
I think Buddah nailed it !

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2015, 05:08 AM »
I know.....you can’t believe science. Try leaving your sonar at home next trip.  :woot: :icefish:
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2015, 05:12 AM »
Tax your, land,Gas,House,Health Care,Utilities,Roads,mmmmm whats left Oh yeah  ..The weather!!!!!!
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:54 AM »

How is it a result?
    according to a show i watched on the weather channel, global warming will affect different areas differently. some areas will get hotter and suffer drought like in the west. others will get more rainfall. unfortunitly for us in the northeast we will get more severe winters because the more energy produced by a warmer planet will cause more of the cold air over the poles to be pushed south by a warmer more unstable jet stream. so as we will start to get warmer, wetter summers we will continue to get bad winters, which could swing from -30 to 30 in days, wreaking havoc w/ our past relatively stable climate. a warmer planet means more energy to fuel extreme weather.( hurricanes, tornados, heavy rains and heavy snow). of course they could be wrong. ::)

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:51 AM »
For years they have been telling us the ice cap is melting and running down and warming up our local ocean ,This is what I have been told that cold water sinks warm water rises  ,so why isn't our local ocean getting colder ? instead of warmer. Just makes no sense . Al Gore and a lot of followers I think are full of you know what!!!

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:57 AM »
Told everyone "snow snakes" should have never been introduced to maine........ :tipup:
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #20 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:22 AM »
For years they have been telling us the ice cap is melting and running down and warming up our local ocean ,This is what I have been told that cold water sinks warm water rises  ,so why isn't our local ocean getting colder ? instead of warmer. Just makes no sense . Al Gore and a lot of followers I think are full of you know what!!!
The Gulf of Maine is of the Western edge of the Gulf Stream, which flows Northerly bringing in warmer southern water. We are not IN the gulf stream our selves but in kind of an eddy cove.

Localized effects of climate changes need to be understood in the context of the larger system. More than I can wrap my head around other then to begin to grasp trends from articles like these below plus data and studies I read.

"Thermohaline circulation drives a global-scale system of currents called the “global conveyor belt.” The conveyor belt begins on the surface of the ocean near the pole in the North Atlantic. Here, the water is chilled by arctic temperatures. It also gets saltier because when sea ice forms, the salt does not freeze and is left behind in the surrounding water. The cold water is now more dense, due to the added salts, and sinks toward the ocean bottom. Surface water moves in to replace the sinking water, thus creating a current.”
http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/kits/currents/06conveyor2.html

Surface ocean currents can occur on local and global scales and are typically wind-driven, resulting in both horizontal and vertical water movement. Horizontal surface currents that are local and typically short term include rip currents, longshore currents, and tidal currents. In upwelling currents, vertical water movement and mixing brings cold, nutrient-rich water toward the surface while pushing warmer, less dense water downward, where it condenses and sinks. This creates a cycle of upwelling and downwelling. Prevailing winds, ocean surface currents, and the associated mixing influence the physical, chemical, and biological characteristics of the ocean, as well as global climate.
http://education.nationalgeographic.com/education/media/ocean-currents-and-climate/?ar_a=1

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 26, 2015, 06:50 PM »
by time everyones done debating this and figures out the real truth it'll be too late to fix it anyway. i don't think anything could be done to fix the ocean acidfication even tho you threw all our resouces into it. just too massive of a scale. all we could expect to accomplish is slowing it down some.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #22 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:29 PM »
by time everyones done debating this and figures out the real truth it'll be too late to fix it anyway. i don't think anything could be done to fix the ocean acidfication even tho you threw all our resouces into it. just too massive of a scale. all we could expect to accomplish is slowing it down some.

Ocean acidification is not overwhelming,here,  at the moment. Things can be done. It will have effects in specific areas more than others.Any “buffering” actions we can take will help.   There are massive seed clam sets in many areas on the Maine coast. We lucked out last year and, I guess as far as clams go not fishing, this because green crabs got knocked back with these extreme temps. BUT we’ve done experiments where we put clams under netting. When we checked them months later, there where places the clams DID GROW, BUT DID NOT burrow into the mud. Other places they did as they were expected. The clams that wouldn’t go into the substrate would not have survived w/o the netting and so would be dead and gone.

Offline matuliska

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:47 PM »
It is really depressing to read most of this thread.  People who clearly love nature and all it has to offer remaining willfully ignorant of a topic that is already causing significant harm to our environment, and in particular to many fisheries.  Special shout out to the guy who posted stories from the beaver country journal and the Lewiston evening news as if they were scientific journals.  I know I won't convince anyone (you made up your mind long ago), but I hope I do for the sake of this planet and all the beauty it has to offer.

http://www.vox.com/2015/2/26/8116981/james-inhofe-global-warming

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #24 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:03 PM »
It is really depressing to read most of this thread.  People who clearly love nature and all it has to offer remaining willfully ignorant of a topic that is already causing significant harm to our environment, and in particular to many fisheries.  Special shout out to the guy who posted stories from the beaver country journal and the Lewiston evening news as if they were scientific journals.  I know I won't convince anyone (you made up your mind long ago), but I hope I do for the sake of this planet and all the beauty it has to offer.
http://www.vox.com/2015/2/26/8116981/james-inhofe-global-warming

Yeah, it is amazing to me what some that "clearly love nature and all it has to offer remaining willfully ignorant of a topic that is already causing significant harm to our environment, and in particular to many fisheries.” seem to be convinced to believe while they don’t feel affected by it, even to the point of making fun of it.....Granted, it is not a simple issue. There lies the difficulty for some.

Offline Bowdoin Boy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 27, 2015, 06:20 AM »
1970 – Colder Winters Held Dawn of New Ice Age – Scientists See Ice Age In the Future (The Washington Post, January 11, 1970).
1970 – Is Mankind Manufacturing a New Ice Age for Itself? (L.A. Times, January 15, 1970).
1970 – New Ice Age May Descend On Man (Sumter Daily Item, January 26, 1970).
1970 – Pollution Prospect A Chilling One (Owosso Argus-Press, January 26, 1970).
1970 – Pollution’s 2-way ‘Freeze’ On Society (Middlesboro Daily News, January 28, 1970).
1970 – Cold Facts About Pollution (The Southeast Missourian, January 29, 1970).
1970 – Pollution Could Cause Ice Age, Agency Reports (St. Petersburg Times, March 4, 1970).
1970 – Pollution Called Ice Age Threat (St. Petersburg Times, June 26, 1970).
1970 – Dirt Will.Bring New Ice Age (The Sydney Morning Herald, October 19, 1970).
1971 – Ice Age Refugee Dies Underground (The Montreal Gazette, Febuary 17, 1971).
1971 – U.S. Scientists Sees New Ice Age Coming (The Washington Post, July 9, 1971).
1971 – Ice Age Around the Corner (Chicago Tribune, July 10, 1971).
1971 – New Ice Age Coming – It’s Already Getting Colder (L.A. Times, October 24, 1971).
1971 – Another Ice Age? Pollution Blocking Sunlight (The Day, November 1, 1971).
1971 – Air Pollution Could Bring An Ice Age (Harlan Daily Enterprise, November 4, 1971).
1972 – Air pollution may cause ice age (Free-Lance Star, February 3, 1972).
1972 – Scientist Says New ice Age Coming (The Ledger, February 13, 1972).
1972 – Scientist predicts new ice age (Free-Lance Star, September 11, 1972).
1972 – British expert on Climate Change says Says New Ice Age Creeping Over Northern Hemisphere (Lewiston Evening Journal, September 11, 1972).
1972 – Climate Seen Cooling For Return Of Ice Age (Portsmouth Times, September 11, 1972).
1972 – New Ice Age Slipping Over North (Press-Courier, September 11, 1972).
1972 – Ice Age Begins A New Assault In North (The Age, September 12, 1972).
1972 – Weather To Get Colder (Montreal Gazette, September 12, 1972).
1972 – British climate expert predicts new Ice Age (The Christian Science Monitor, September 23, 1972).
1972 – Scientist Sees Chilling Signs of New Ice Age (L.A. Times, September 24, 1972).
1972 – Science: Another Ice Age? (Time Magazine, November 13, 1972).
1973 – The Ice Age Cometh (The Saturday Review, March 24, 1973).
1973 – Weather-watchers think another ice age may be on the way (The Christian Science Monitor, December 11, 1973).
1974 – New evidence indicates ice age here (Eugene Register-Guard, May 29, 1974).
1974 – Another Ice Age? (Time Magazine, June 24, 1974).
1974 – 2 Scientists Think ‘Little’ Ice Age Near (The Hartford Courant, August 11, 1974).
1974 – Ice Age, worse food crisis seen (The Chicago Tribune, October 30, 1974).
1974 – Believes Pollution Could Bring On Ice Age (Ludington Daily News, December 4, 1974).
1974 – Pollution Could Spur Ice Age, Nasa Says (Beaver Country Times, December 4, 1974).
1974 – Air Pollution May Trigger Ice Age, Scientists Feel (The Telegraph, December 5, 1974).
1974 – More Air Pollution Could Trigger Ice Age Disaster (Daily Sentinel – December 5, 1974).
1974 – Scientists Fear Smog Could Cause Ice Age (Milwaukee Journal, December 5, 1974).
1975 – Climate Changes Called Ominous (The New York Times, January 19, 1975).
1975 – Climate Change: Chilling Possibilities (Science News, March 1, 1975).
1975 – B-r-r-r-r: New Ice Age on way soon? (The Chicago Tribune, March 2, 1975).
1975 – Cooling Trends Arouse Fear That New Ice Age Coming (Eugene Register-Guard, March 2, 1975).
1975 – Is Another Ice Age Due? Arctic Ice Expands In Last Decade (Youngstown Vindicator – March 2, 1975).
1975 – Is Earth Headed For Another Ice Age? (Reading Eagle, March 2, 1975).
1975 – New Ice Age Dawning? Significant Shift In Climate Seen (Times Daily, March 2, 1975).
1975 – There’s Troublesome Weather Ahead (Tri City Herald, March 2, 1975).
1975 – Is Earth Doomed To Live Through Another Ice Age? (The Robesonian, March 3, 1975).
1975 – The Ice Age cometh: the system that controls our climate (The Chicago Tribune, April 13, 1975).
1975 – The Cooling World (Newsweek, April 28, 1975).
1975 – Scientists Ask Why World Climate Is Changing; Major Cooling May Be Ahead (PDF) (The New York Times, May 21, 1975).
1975 – In the Grip of a New Ice Age? (International Wildlife, July-August, 1975).
1975 – Oil Spill Could Cause New Ice Age (Milwaukee Journal, December 11, 1975).
1976 – The Cooling: Has the Next Ice Age Already Begun? [Book] (Lowell Ponte, 1976).
1977 – Blizzard – What Happens if it Doesn’t Stop? [Book] (George Stone, 1977).
1977 – The Weather Conspiracy: The Coming of the New Ice Age [Book] (The Impact Team, 1977).
1976 – Worrisome CIA Report; Even U.S. Farms May be Hit by Cooling Trend (U.S. News & World Report, May 31, 1976).
1977 – The Big Freeze (Time Magazine, January 31, 1977).
1977 – We Will Freeze in the Dark (Capital Cities Communications Documentary, Host: Nancy Dickerson, April 12, 1977).
1978 – The New Ice Age [Book] (Henry Gilfond, 1978).
1978 – Little Ice Age: Severe winters and cool summers ahead (Calgary Herald, January 10, 1978).
1978 – Winters Will Get Colder, ‘we’re Entering Little Ice Age’ (Ellensburg Daily Record, January 10, 1978).
1978 – Geologist Says Winters Getting Colder (Middlesboro Daily News, January 16, 1978).
1978 – It’s Going To Get Colder (Boca Raton News, January 17, 1978).
1978 – Believe new ice age is coming (The Bryan Times, March 31, 1978).
1978 – The Coming Ice Age (In Search Of TV Show, Season 2, Episode 23, Host: Leonard Nimoy, May 1978).
1978 – An Ice Age Is Coming Weather Expert Fears (Milwaukee Sentinel, November 17, 1978).
1979 – A Choice of Catastrophes – The Disasters That Threaten Our World [Book] (Isaac Asimov, 1979).
1979 – Get Ready to Freeze (Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 12, 1979).
1979 – New ice age almost upon us? (The Christian Science Monitor, November 14, 1979).

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
Is this any Different from the past 4 Billion yrs of the planets Insistent really it goes in cycles whether we do it as Humans or the from Volcano's or Nature whats the Diff.which is worst warming the planet or a Another Ice Ice age??

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #26 on: Feb 27, 2015, 07:07 AM »

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:47 AM »
yup who cares---anybody reading this will be dead soon--a human life is short---we wont be here in 100 yrs---the climate you see out your window is what youll get --in your lifetime

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 27, 2015, 10:06 AM »
yeah but our kids and grandkids will look at us and say " why didn't your generation do something when we could have maybe made a difference?"what are we going to say to them? we cared but there was nothing we could do!

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 27, 2015, 10:20 AM »
The Gulf of Maine has gone from pH 8.2 to 8.1 based on atmospheric CO2 concentration rise. The global Ocean has dropped from pH 8.0 to 7.9 for the same reason.  Historically known pH range for the ocean is 7.4 to 8.4.

So any ocean acidification problem occurring inshore  in Maine is NOT due to anthropogenic inputs.  Because there is not any acidity in GOM water, the Gulf of Maine has a surplus of OH ions (not H ions) and is still very basic (alkaline) and within normal ocean pH levels.

I told you on another site, that your specific acidity problem was most likely due to location and substrate and has nothing at all to do with anthropogenic CO2 increases.

Rather it is probably caused by runoff, with high concentration of fertilizers, or some other pollutants......increa sed rainfall would of course increase runoff.

Aloha

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.