The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: willoughby change adaptation ????  (Read 1110 times)

Offline troutslayer 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big ray
willoughby change adaptation ????
« on: Feb 23, 2015, 09:36 PM »
so 5 years ago we started hammering perch in willoughby it was new the perch were huge and now there every where i wonder how many lakers are now feding up on small perch vs smelt i noticed a decline in fish on the ice just from what i have heard and what i have seen personally ... what do u all think and i kno some of u fish the lake alot too just some food for thought
aka half rack 23 willoughby

Offline stimpyNEK

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: willoughby change adaptation ????
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2015, 03:38 AM »
where abouts are the perch?we went both southside and northside sunday and not one bite?
Its T shirt weather until you can actually die of hypothermia

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2015, 04:19 AM »
TS23, I've fished Willoughby for 30 years and the bite has been off for quite a few years but I always attributed it to the new bait laws, shiners suck on a finicky fish like a laker,maybe they are gorging on the perch?

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2015, 06:18 AM »
Have you checked the stomach contents of a kept fish?  In other lakes I've seen plenty of fish with smelt, perch, and mimic shiners in their belly.  I doubt they pass up an easy meal.

Also, consider baiting a few traps with a dead perch or a perch fillet right on the bottom.

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:06 AM »
Have you checked the stomach contents of a kept fish?  In other lakes I've seen plenty of fish with smelt, perch, and mimic shiners in their belly.  I doubt they pass up an easy meal.

Also, consider baiting a few traps with a dead perch or a perch fillet right on the bottom.
Perch fillet...that's a good idea. Or maybe a slab of perch on a bucktail jig or Swedish Pimple.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline troutslayer 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big ray
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:50 AM »

no I haven't throw most all Lakers
Back... I saw a guy 2 years ago get a 9 pounder on a 3 inch perch
.and stimpy there every where to just under the ice as far down as 60-70 ft deep

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2015, 08:02 PM »
Fished Willy this afternoon and first jigging hole was in 45 fow. As lure reached 15 feet off the bottom,
 the flasher exploded with fish. Lakers not - big school of perch. I caught supper 9-12 inch perch. 
I swam from shore 35 years ago pulling out a snagged line only to find the yellow green rather than
bright silver flash I was expecting. First time I drove to Willy love at first sight..

Offline troutslayer 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big ray
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2015, 12:26 AM »
Fished Willy this afternoon and first jigging hole was in 45 fow. As lure reached 15 feet off the bottom,
 the flasher exploded with fish. Lakers not - big school of perch. I caught supper 9-12 inch perch. 
I swam from shore 35 years ago pulling out a snagged line only to find the yellow green rather than
bright silver flash I was expecting. First time I drove to Willy love at first sight..
its a awsome and challanging lake and i like it hopefully if things work out ill be getting a boat this spring and start trolling for bows and lakers

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2015, 11:05 AM »
Yesterday afternoon seemed like the the coldest place on earth considering
 temps and unrelenting wind. She has a lot of snow on her and definitely making
access to the ice difficult.

I agree seeing more perch than years past. All the perch had small smelt in them.

Offline buckfordave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2015, 02:00 PM »
Just got home from a Trip there today. walked on from the south end headed out to about 40 fow and headed toward the east shore set out a couple tip ups with dead smelt.(a few inches off the bottom dont know where to buy bait up there ) the walked along and drilled holeout to about 90 FOW..lots of ice is say least 3 feet..but also love my new eskimo Propane auger!! only caught 2 small laker2-3 lbs but anyone who fishes up there knows u will take it!! have fished plenty of days with no flags or bites but also my best one came from the same area about 4 years ago when i jigged up a 17 lb fish so u never know but if u dont go you cant catch em .. :tipup: Good luck to all

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.