Author Topic: Lake John Saturday  (Read 1273 times)

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
Lake John Saturday
« on: Feb 21, 2015, 09:06 PM »
With the snow storm moving in, I decided to get onto the ice rather than shovel the driveway, so headed out at 4 am for North Park.  Set up at 8 am, and was the first one there.  Only two others came later.  I think the word is out that it has been slow.  According to Bill Wilcox, these fatties are gorging on stickleback minnows and are not hungry afterwards. But I would still rather be there trying. 

Got a small one on the Jawjacker, and about 10 am was able to hook a nice 15" hard fighting Bow on a Kastmaster. That was it for the day, and with the snow moving in about 12:30, I vacated.  Cameron Pass was clear on top, but the Poudre Canyon was pretty nasty with falling snow as I headed east for home.  Took 3 hours to go the 100 miles from Walden to Ft. C.  No traffic to deal with, at least.

Almost as much fun as catching the Bow was trying out a new grill attachment for my Mr Buddy Heater. I saw here on IS last week how to rig up a grill over the heater with a small paint bucket shelf from Home Depot.  I put some tin foil over the grill to keep drippings off the heater, and cooked up a couple of brats and sliced peppers, and heated up a big cup of hot water for the hot cider.  Great way to finish off the day, and now I know I don't have to bring a camp stove anymore.

There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline one_eye

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake John Saturday
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2015, 09:24 PM »
That's the way to cook up a meal. That was a hard drive! At least the cat didn't get you. How was the ice?

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2015, 09:45 PM »
Ice was almost 19".  About 4" of new snow on top, and more coming tonight and tomorrow.  I was warned by Tish at the Resort to not drive on it anyway, as it has been warm and the ice has softened.  But somebody drove out there on the ice today anyway.

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2015, 10:04 PM »
Love the heater/grill idea! I may have to try that  ;)

Offline IceOsprey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2015, 10:27 PM »
Nice fish. You did better than I did at the mile on Friday. I made the same type of grill with my heater. I use dollar tree foil tins with lids to heat up food with no mess. My son loves the grill cheese sandwiches out on the ice.

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2015, 11:23 PM »
Nice fish. You did better than I did at the mile on Friday. I made the same type of grill with my heater. I uses dollar tree foil tin with lids to heat up food with no mess. My son loves the grill cheese sandwiches out on the ice.

Never heard of those tins.  Mine was pretty drippy.  Yours sounds like the trick.  I'll check them out.

Offline IceOsprey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2015, 11:42 AM »
Three for a dollar, work great and then toss, no clean up. I did a can of pork and beans with cut up pieces of kielbasa last trip. Keeps us on the ice longer with full bellies of hot food.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2015, 07:06 PM »
Nic job!  Glad you got out before this storm.  That new cooking setup looks great!
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2015, 07:43 PM »
Man thats a long ways to go for a 15" trout-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2015, 08:55 PM »
Man thats a long ways to go for a 15" trout-

I agree it is a long ways, but there is something about North Park that attracts me, so that even a "bad" day is a good day.  I watched a golden eagle, flushed a sage grouse off the road, enjoyed watching the sunlight on the big snow-covered peaks.  I still think I will get the bite figured out, so will keep trying.

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2015, 02:39 PM »
I'd drive that far just for the north park scenery and wildlife too. Not to mention the peace and quiet ;D
Sounds like a good day!
Selective harvest works!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.