Author Topic: Smitty Sled Kit  (Read 6033 times)

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
Smitty Sled Kit
« on: Feb 21, 2015, 04:18 PM »
So if I pre-cut the wood, drilled the holes , provided the hardware, and the rope, and I sold this as a kit except for the skis............ you guys would be interested? I would use 2x4, 2x8 or 2x10 for risers, with the price being slightly more for each. Give me your thoughts. Thanks Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
Re: Smitty Sled Kit
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2015, 04:24 PM »
I fashioned my DIY sled after the smitty,but I think there are folks out there who aren't DIY ers,or do not have the time that would buy the kit.I say go for it,take some orders to see how much interest there is,if it is enough,you are good to go.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2015, 04:28 PM »
Great idea Smitty.      :bow:

A word of caution about those that cant build one from your excellent instructions and photographs, they may not have what it takes to put "Tab A into slot B" . Please be forewarned, Sir.     

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2015, 04:30 PM »
Researching patents........2 words.......ching ching......lol
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2015, 04:30 PM »
What about your time, gas, wear and tear on your equipment (drills, saw) all this stuff cost money. Don't sell yourself short. People should be willing to pay for a good product. The thing is can you build it and still make money? You have to ask yourself what is your time worth and how long will it take to make each kit?
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2015, 04:39 PM »
I would do 2"x6" risers with 2"x3" cross brace ....with all holes drilled ...include a paper drill template for the screws ( ski through riser) ...I would give a parts list 12 xyz length deck/wood screes ...4 xyz length carriage bolts ...4 xyz length eyebolts w/nuts...1 16 foot 3/8 diameter rope...2 straps etc  .Just my thinking.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline auge

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2015, 04:43 PM »
Folks,What does a Smitty sled look like? Thanks,auge

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2015, 04:54 PM »
Auge; I'm sure you've seen one if you've ice fished for awhile. Its a raised platform with down hill skis or some other runner system you put your sled on. Makes the drag so much easier.
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2015, 04:57 PM »

Welcome to Iceshanty Auge.     :thumbsup:

Best get busy at this link, Auge.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.0

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2015, 05:50 PM »
Dang smitty! You should have thought about that before everyone built one!!!!!!  :)
Yea-ching, ching, on patents.
I know one of the guys that invented the DBM for Remingtons and guess what, they got nothing out of that when Remington started putting them on their guns. I think it was 10 yrs. after the patent, and with a slight mod.
I know they said they should have sold the patent, instead of originally trying to manufacture and market the DBM on their own. You wouldn't have that problem, since you would be making them yourself, unless you got too many orders and had to hire help.  :laugh:
Maybe you just could sell it as "the original smitty sled", at least you are well documented on here, and no one could argue with that!
Good luck!

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2015, 05:59 PM »
is there a minimum height from the skis say to the box/gear, thinking it doesn't want to be to low so your plowing thru sno?

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2015, 06:02 PM »
So if I pre-cut the wood, drilled the holes , provided the hardware, and the rope, and I sold this as a kit except for the skis............ you guys would be interested? I would use 2x4, 2x8 or 2x10 for risers, with the price being slightly more for each. Give me your thoughts. Thanks Smitty

hey smitty, just be advised that you must contact Scott(aka) Iceshanty about selling .you must be a paid member of the Iceshanty Militia to post stuff in the for sale section. not sure how it would work selling multiples of the same product. just a heads up for you.

HIMO
                                                                                                                   Iceshanty Moderator
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2015, 06:14 PM »
There just went the profits!  :laugh:

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2015, 06:28 PM »
hey smitty, just be advised that you must contact Scott(aka) Iceshanty about selling .you must be a paid member of the Iceshanty Militia to post stuff in the for sale section. not sure how it would work selling multiples of the same product. just a heads up for you.

HIMO
                                                                                                                   Iceshanty Moderator

No doubt....I'm just tossing the idea around.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2015, 03:35 AM »
Making a couple dozen isn't a huge investment. The ice season is coming to an end in a couple of months. Either get busy or wait til next season.

There's nothing patentable that can't be altered slightly and reproduced, so if I were you......I'd get busy before the market evaporates.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2015, 05:25 AM »
        I don't want to burst your bubble smitty, but Eskimo has a manufactured a sled like yours, I don't know if it is as versatile
        as yours, to fit all sleds or just their sleds. Here's a link to look at. Good luck if you go forward.
        I want to see the little people succeed. Theirs is a little pricey, so go with your idea and make money.

IW

http://stuccu.com/s/Eskimo+Lake+Runner?tr=related_search                                                          

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2015, 06:04 AM »
Ya smitty if you can come in at say $400 and make money you will still be.cheaper!!! $600!!!!! Anybody have one of these things?

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2015, 09:10 AM »
        I don't want to burst your bubble smitty, but Eskimo has a manufactured a sled like yours, I don't know if it is as versatile
        as yours, to fit all sleds or just their sleds. Here's a link to look at. Good luck if you go forward.
        I want to see the little people succeed. Theirs is a little pricey, so go with your idea and make money.

IW

http://stuccu.com/s/Eskimo+Lake+Runner?tr=related_search                                                          

I would be careful of patent infringement. it looks like Eskimo stole YOUR idea.

HIMO
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2015, 10:11 AM »
I would be careful of patent infringement. it looks like Eskimo stole YOUR idea.

HIMO

That Eskimo sled looks, works, acts, costs, nothing like a Smitty IMO...

A Smitty is 2 skis, two boards, and 4 blocks of wood, that breakdown for transport..

Putting two skis on the bottom of a utility sled did not start with Smitty, or Eskimo.. The first person to do that probably isn't even alive at this point..

<*)))>{

Chute82

« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2015, 10:49 AM »
My dad up sled on the bottom of his sled back in the 60's. Matter of fact I still have his sled from the 60's in my garage.  Putting downhill ski on a sled in not a new concept

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2015, 02:25 PM »
I think everyone agrees that the smitty sled is an awesome device. That being said, attaching skis to a (insert anything here) to make it easier to pull in the snow is an idea as old as skis themselves, and sadly there's really nothing to patent here. This is a simplified version, but a patent only prevents another person or company from making an exact duplicate of your idea and selling it for profit. It doesn't protect you from someone making an identical one at home for personal use, or someone else making one to sell that's juuust different enough that your patent wouldn't cover it. Besides, the ability to make one in a custom size that perfectly fits your gear, fishing style, or vehicle trunk is what makes the homemade ones better than anything mass produced in a one-size-fits-all fashion.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2015, 02:43 PM »
There's a FB page called "Smittysledpro!"
Not sure if it's the same thing you're talking about Jeff but it has Eskimo brand seats attached to it!

MK

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #22 on: Feb 22, 2015, 03:57 PM »
I built my version of smitty sled out of 2 downhill skis and a old bed frame over 20 years ago before I ever heard of a smitty sled. And I stole the idea from someone else. I'm afraid smitty type sleds have been around for as long as there have been skis. Plus I agree if a person is not capable of building one they probaly wouldn't be able to put one together anyway.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2015, 04:26 PM »

Here's mine, they are all different but similar

May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Chute82

« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2015, 11:09 AM »

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #25 on: Feb 23, 2015, 11:25 AM »
I surely don't want a expensive 40 pound smitty sled from those other rip off smittysledpro jerk offs.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #26 on: Feb 23, 2015, 11:38 AM »
everyone is trying to cash in smitty! better get yours on the road and sell online except yours will be the original smitty sled name.
heres a thought, make blue prints for sale. sell them thru email and use paypal to collect the funds. no muss, no fuss. can have many designs for sale. you could offer kits too tho. any of us could do it and some are.
the building of them is so fundamental, i don't think a kit pre-fabed is the way to go or at least not here where there are so many other ideas/builds on the concept to browse thru.

Kickstarter page from some guy in Canada

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2136926401/smittysledpro-the-indomitable-ice-fishing-sled?ref=discovery

40 pounds, hah! and thats w/o all the other junk he is trying to up sell like wheels and extensions and bucket holders, tow bars. the video busts me up, the dude tries to get it all in one bundle to carry into the sunset and no where to load it it into and he forget some of it at the boat launch. also, they won't show how it pulls on snow. instead he is out there with ice skaters watching him trying not to fall. also, it has smitty in its name and at the bottom of the page has a button to ask a question, i tried to ask how it got its name, but i do not have a facebook account and don't want one.

everyone is trying to cash in smitty! better get yours on the road and sell online except yours will be the original smitty sled name.
heres a thought, make blue prints for sale. sell them thru email and use paypal to collect the funds. no muss, no fuss. can have many designs for sale.
the building of them is so fundamental, i don't think a kit pre-fabed is the way to go or at least not here where there are so many other ideas/builds on the concept.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #27 on: Feb 23, 2015, 02:34 PM »
I think the Smitty Sled Kit idea is right on the mark! If everything is predrilled, all you'd need to include with the hardware is some real basic instructions with a couple illustrations. It may spread like wildfire!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Feb 23, 2015, 03:15 PM »
Kickstarter page from some guy in Canada

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2136926401/smittysledpro-the-indomitable-ice-fishing-sled?ref=discovery

The one nice thing about his design is you can raise or lower the sled but I wouldn't every buy one, I'd rather make my own from scratch.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 23, 2015, 03:33 PM »
Eskimo's have used sleds for how long ?  They even made their skis out of frozen fish wrapped in skins.
Bud

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.