The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Willoughby cusk  (Read 1330 times)

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Willoughby cusk
« on: Feb 19, 2015, 05:17 PM »
I just found out I have the next five weeks off to fish and am almost lost on where to start. Im thinking of heading up to Willoughby for cusk for the next few nights. Does any one know if they are biting up there yet.

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Willoughby cusk
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2015, 07:59 PM »
I haven't been out there in a couple years, but when I lived in the NEK, I ice fished for them a few times at night. I had pretty good luck getting them in about 30 FOW in the general vincinity of where Mill Brook comes in. I would get them with whole crawlers on bottom. Had better luck though with a half a yellow perch sitting on bottom. Never got any huge ones there, but it wasn't uncommon to come home with a dozen or so around 20". Makes the best chowder if you can get the slimy skin off em!

Offline NEK_VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2015, 08:28 PM »
I caught them with a buddy of mine this time of year last year. I imagine they're buting now. I'll try to make it out in a week or so one evening.

Offline troutslayer 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big ray
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2015, 11:43 PM »
I'll be chasing them probably next week in 100fow we catch some 4-7 pounds
aka half rack 23 willoughby

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2015, 03:23 PM »
Thanks guys, I think im going to go try it Saturday night. Im going to start where all the shantys are in front of the access and work my way out into deeper water. I went with my Wife's uncle last year and guys around us where getting them, Im really hoping to connect myself this year. Im thinking dead smelt on the bottom for tip ups, and glow jigs on my rods.

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2015, 04:30 PM »
Thanks guys, I think im going to go try it Saturday night. Im going to start where all the shantys are in front of the access and work my way out into deeper water. I went with my Wife's uncle last year and guys around us where getting them, Im really hoping to connect myself this year. Im thinking dead smelt on the bottom for tip ups, and glow jigs on my rods.
years ago my father used to bring us on champlain at night in deep water and he always used perch heads. i always remember some of the big ones we caught. back then my father used hand lines.

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2015, 05:21 PM »
well took the boys last night, stayed from 6-10pm. We managed to get 6 on jigs and one on tip ups. Was going to go back tonight but the flue bug hit the family hard this morning  :P

Offline BassInVt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ain't nothing better than fishing!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2015, 05:23 PM »
nice
What?? fish are biting, I'm gone

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2015, 06:15 PM »
Do you make "poor man's lobster"?
Are they tasty?
Strange-looking fish!  I'd like to catch 'em one of these days.

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2015, 07:25 PM »
Honestly they are the first ones ive ever cought, im gonna try poor mans lobster, and im sure some of them will be breaded and fried.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2015, 04:28 AM »
Cubed , breaded and fried ! Yummy!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.