Author Topic: Marcum Customer Service  (Read 1648 times)

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marcum Customer Service
« on: Feb 19, 2015, 01:36 PM »
This isn't intended to be a bash post but I can't help to be a bit frustrated with Marcum's customer service.

I just called them and talked to a fella named Chris and asked him if he could help me with upgrading my LX7's firmware.  I had an issue last year getting it upgraded and so I tried again today.  Followed the directions to a T but couldn't get the new firmware installed as my system settings still show I'm using version 3.01 I think.

I tell Chris the problem and he "jokingly" states something to the effect of "you tried last year and didn't call in the summer when we are not ice fishing and sitting around looking at each other with nothing to do?"  I said yeah, I didn't have an issue with the old version except for the dynamic depth feature to which he replied "yeah, don't use that feature on that old version as it's crap".  I indicated that I'd love to have the foot by foot adjustable dynamic depth and he agreed.

I then asked if he could help me try to figure this out and he obliged.  I said "ok, let me put the phone down for one second and get you on speaker so I can have both hands handy".  Chris said "no, I just want to tell you how to work around it and you can try it on your own".  I thought to myself "what the heck? you got a hot date or something?"

I tried what he suggested to no avail.  Not a huge deal but this guy was slightly insulting and didn't want to spend one more second on the phone with me. 

DISCLAIMER - while I quoted Chris in this post I really paraphrased his statements.

??? :-\ ??? :-\
That's some tasty iced tea.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Marcum Customer Service
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2015, 02:43 PM »
Here's what I found when I had the same problem.  All versions of the firmware have the same name.  I already had a copy of the firmware on my computer in the download area.  So my browser renamed the newer copy (put copy1 behind it or something).  The firmware file is named LX-7MAIN.bin  .  If you already have a copy of an older version it has the same name.  You need to rename the older version or delete it (I suggest rename) and then make sure the new version you just downloaded is LX-7MAIN.bin  .  Otherwise, you will just reload the older version every time.  I renamed my copies incorporating the version e.g. LX-7MAIN(317).bin, LX-7MAIN(407).bin.  But in order to reload either one of those you have to get it back to LX-7MAIN.bin.

I shared this experience with the folks at Marcum and suggested that they put a caution in their firmware update instructions but I guess they didn't.

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2015, 02:50 PM »
I appreciate the help but when I tried to upgrade today it was done on a new computer that never had an old version on it.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2015, 09:14 AM »
have you tried other usb cables yet? did you reset the unit to factory before updating its firmware? did your pc recognize the unit? instead of dragging the file have you tried copy and pasting it instead? did you get any tones at all?
i would help you if you want to come over. i have 6 pc's and lots of usb cables to try out. shoot a pm if you are thinking about it.
it maybe there is a problem with your unit and they will have to fix it instead of being short with you. in fact, thats what i would do next, but there only 4 to 6 weeks left of the season, so maybe wait it out.

sounds like they should hire out a "customer support team" since they are too busy on the "customer service team".
i work with customers too and some need much more assistance than most. when that happens and your not in the best of moods, it can be challenging on your patients. my wife deals with customers too and gets the brunt end of the stick when things do not go right. it becomes hurtful some times and trying other times.
what i am getting at is some one who haves the time and patience needs to run customer support and not the customer service.

chris was short with you and should not have been. if he has no patience or not enough time to help some one walk-thru it step by step, then some one else needs to. he is customer service, not support apparently.
when i spoke with customer service, i was set back to how unprofessional he was helping me. he helped me none the less tho, but left a weird taste in my mind about how they must run things there.

the words or points he was making with you would lead you to believe they are in over their heads and maybe sinking.
they need a manager who can get this place going in a better direction for sure. not sure if they even have one. it would be good to get a hold of him/her for some follow ups.
it feels like a new business that is in the early stages still. they need a lot of honing to make it better for the customers and thats key to staying in business because we can buy some thing some where else.
i didn't get an rma# or email confirmation. in fact the only communication i did get was the one i invoked.
there was no email to say when it would arrive after being serviced. there was no email saying my registration card (needed for the 2 year warranty) arrived. the repair ticket couldn't have been more vague. no apologies for an expensive unit needing repair so soon (6 times out with it) and if that is normal or not.

they are doing better (sad to say) than some other ice gear manufactures tho such as artic armor and striker ice suit manufacturers. they will not answer calls or emails ever. they don't care if your on fire wearing their gear!

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2015, 05:29 AM »
So here's the quick story with my problem with Marcum. I have been dealing with a faulty LX-7 for the past year and still currently. The unit in and out of their CS department replaced transducer bad upgrade from factory ect. Finally i was given the number for their brand manager Jon Marshall. He was awesome in the beginning gave me a few things to try. I video documented all my problems and the last i heard from him was that he was going to check with his tech's and get back with me on a resolve. That was 3 weeks ago. No return calls or e mails. I e-mailed CS twice and asked if anyone has spoken with Jon about the issue with no reply from them either. I'm not asking them for the world. Just to make it right. I don't want my money back just want a unit that actually works.
Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:50 AM »
Whoa! I mean REALLY!
I think you are within your right mind to expect more help from Marcum. These flasher units are an expensive tool. You can expect that they work properly and you can expect the manufacturer to help get things right.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2015, 05:25 PM »
I last month had to send in my LX6, it cost me 13.00 to ship it to them they ended up replacing the transducer and some electrical component inside the unit.

I sent it out on a Monday and received it back the following Monday, my FF was going on 3 years and  total repair cost was ZERO

I know not everyone has good luck with customer service as I had issues in the past with other manufactures

You may try calling back, maybe he was having a bad day or find a person near you that can help

I know once you get this fixed you will soon forget your frustrations because the LX FF work so well

Good luck

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:59 PM »
i would like to add an expereince i had with marum today. my lx-7 ducer cable got a slice w/o my knowing how, but must have been my auger blade got too close some how. it wasn't reading my jigs right. i had to turn it all of the way up to try to see them.
i called this am and left a voice mail. waited 90 minutes, no return call as i expected. called and got the same recording saying no one is available to take my call, i repeatedly called back until some one answered, it was chris. told him whats up and he sent a new ducer and told me to never let it hand under the ice again. no charge because i have been having issues and he let me know it wasn't covered under warranty.

so with my dealings there, you have to hammer the phones to get help. they have helped me each time and went beyond what is expected this last time. very generous of him! thanks so much chris. i know they read these posts.

so keep calling until you get resolve is all i can say first hand.

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2015, 11:26 PM »
That's the first time I ever heard of  "not letting the transducer hang below the ice". Fishing a 6" hole, that's how I always did it. From now on I'll drill 2 holes side by side or hang it shallow in the hole and move it as needed. Thanks 3300.

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2015, 02:01 PM »
I sent an email to them about a suggestion on improving their units and Chris Hansen responded same day. My suggestions were to instead of having the simulator run in "open water" mode to simulate "ice fishing" conditions, where 98% of us will actually use it. I also suggested better youtube videos that show more product and less fisherman reaction to the product, I'm not buying Skippy having fun, I want to see it catch me more fish. He was receptive to my ideas, seems fine. We all get busy at work, and maybe they don't field calls that much since their products are pretty reliable. I think it may say more in that their CS department is small and doing other tasks.

And I also found a little tip for us that my old flasher could do. If you have relatively clear ice, you can take a bottle of water, set the transducer in a small puddle on the ice, and it will read clear thru. Good for depth checking. Not sure if you can find fish that way, but theoretically it should just show the top end as solid, then clear to bottom again, fish inbetween. Chris verified this would work with the Lx6.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2015, 09:32 AM »
what ever become of brink?
 ???
did you get your firmware updated yet?
if so, what was the trouble?

BlackDogAlpha
isn't that awesome that we can even ask for these things to change? any thing else is just what it is and can never change, set in stone! unless, you buy some thing else.

also, they make a flash light looking sonar too. some want it for finding depths only.
mx-1 i think its called. 125$

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2015, 10:00 AM »
what ever become of brink?
 ???
did you get your firmware updated yet?
if so, what was the trouble?

BlackDogAlpha
isn't that awesome that we can even ask for these things to change? any thing else is just what it is and can never change, set in stone! unless, you buy some thing else.

also, they make a flash light looking sonar too. some want it for finding depths only.
mx-1 i think its called. 125$

Lx-i
EYECONICFISHING

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2015, 10:57 AM »
Still no luck on the firmware.  I want to wait the season out and send it in to see if it can be updated. 

I recognize that guys have good experiences with Marcum.  I had a buddy just recently send his 7 into Marcum and they shipped him a new head unit without much questioning and in a quick time.

It was just the guy's bedside manner over the phone that really grinds my gears.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2015, 11:20 AM »
Still no luck on the firmware.  I want to wait the season out and send it in to see if it can be updated. 

I recognize that guys have good experiences with Marcum.  I had a buddy just recently send his 7 into Marcum and they shipped him a new head unit without much questioning and in a quick time.

It was just the guy's bedside manner over the phone that really grinds my gears.

good news for your friend. thanks for the update!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.