Author Topic: Ice fishing courtesy  (Read 2113 times)

Offline _Icecold_

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice fishing courtesy
« on: Feb 15, 2015, 02:57 PM »
Just wondering, what is the rule of thumb for distance from a shanty or another fisherman? I'd say at least 30-40 yards

BrookieSlayer99

Re: Ice fishing courtesy
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2015, 03:05 PM »
30 yards for me

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2015, 03:13 PM »
Honestly when other fisherman are close to me I catch more fish. I think more bait attracts more fish.

Offline trophytaker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2015, 03:15 PM »
I really don't care

Offline GlareIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2015, 03:32 PM »
As long as someone isn't drilling holes right on top of my it doesn't much matter.  I usually fish by myself so a little chatter isn't so bad. 

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2015, 04:15 PM »
Depends on what you trying to catch, lakers will run a 100 yards of line. I don't need your line in mine.

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2015, 04:23 PM »
I was thinking about this just the other day, how close to an unoccupied bob house? Say you got there early and set up, then the guy that owns the house shows up? What then or should you just stay away?

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2015, 04:30 PM »
My shack is about 12ft from the guy next to me. I have had folks fish between our shacks. Most folks up here will put a shack out and I don't see them but once or twice during the season...if at all!

The thing that ticks me off is when folks drop a shack (and never use it!) over known structure. Takes up space from someone who would fish it more....

OR they drop a shack over a crib and run tip-ups for 100yds in all directions and get pissy when anyone comes close...

Offline IceGrizz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2015, 04:33 PM »
Personally, I don't set near any hard sides. They dragged that thing out there. That's their spot, they deserve it. I prefer to find my own "hot" spot. I also don't like when someone sets near me. Unless I know them personally.
I'd say 30yrds minimum, from any shelter or human. Unless in your own group.
Live until you die.
Flag's up!!
Line's tight!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2015, 05:01 PM »
there's such a thing as "Ice Fishing Courtesy"? sometimes, you wouldn't believe it

Offline shedhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2015, 05:07 PM »
For me its almost like deer hunting. If i see some one with a hard side im gone and search for my own  spot i will not crowd a spot. But that is me! I like to find my own areas and hopefully get lucky on my own work!

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2015, 05:48 PM »
[quote

The thing that ticks me off is when folks drop a shack (and never use it!) over known structure. Takes up space from someone who would fish it more....

[/quote]

I generally stay away, from shacks unless there empty and I get there at first light, I will fish near it, I really get annoyed when there are vacant shacks all season over known structure and you cant get that close to it. If its vacant I may fish near it but if there are people there I would not go near it. I met a really cool guy once fishing near his shack for bows he showed up 2 hrs after I was fishing. He was a blind ice fisherman and was a very neat guy. friendly too. It all depends on the situation.
Salmonemia

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2015, 05:51 PM »
there is none thats why i fish small ponds away from the croweds

Offline Altonbayicefishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2015, 06:28 PM »
Anyone seen Meredith bay? What's the deal with all the shacks on top of each other? Is the fishing that good with 40+ shacks 15 feet apart??
Life is good!

Offline treeguymark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2015, 07:30 PM »
myself and two others have shacks on canobie,  i had a group of 6 guys show up a couple weeks ago and set up 30 ft outside the doors a half hr after i got there !! i laughed my ass off cause they thought we were all on some hot spot.... lol we just put them there cause its easy to get on and off and if they had the courtesy to ask if any one else was comng out  i would ve told them yes  instead i  sat in my nice warm shack drinking cold beers and eating nice warm breakfast that i would have offered up and watched them freeze there buts off and get covered in snow during the storm, and not catch fish ! a little courtesy goes a long way !
fishin is my mission !!

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2015, 07:40 PM »
there is this one super sized clam popup, that keeps getting closer and closer to my eskimo popup. 3 weekends in a row now and yesterday I was at a spot on the lake that was an hours drive away and they setup 25 ft from me at the most. there smart for settin up near me ive been slayin the whites, but jeez. theres one of me and 3to4 of them they are actually drawing the school away from under me. Maybe I should go sno camo on the next popup instead of red
Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline fisherhawk55

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2015, 08:03 PM »
I treat others like I would want to be treated same with hunting if someone gets there before me I loose but as far as honey holes being kept secret forget it I have watched people that live on the lake watch me through the windows as I pull in fish next time I come back there's holes right were I drilled the same with parking your truck at your favorite deer spot people catch on quick I don't mind if people fish near my bob house I don't own the lake just give me some space if I'm there , today common sense isn't very common and ethics are rare these days there's a new breed of sportsman out there and of course there's good guys out there some I know from this site

Offline jellyroll44

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • may your lines be tight and your woman not so much
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2015, 08:07 PM »
I think it depends on the lake... Bigger places.. I give more space... Smaller lakes and ponds .. Get closer... But just cause you put a hard side out doesn't mean you own a half mile on all sides... Travel conditions alway play a role too, I walk out so if you have a hard side and put it right in front of the ramp with 18 inches of snow and slush we may be closer than normal... Lol

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2015, 08:09 PM »
Anyone seen Meredith bay? What's the deal with all the shacks on top of each other? Is the fishing that good with 40+ shacks 15 feet apart??

Up here, the shacks will stack up over structure. I once had a guy slide in not 12in off my side wall! It's understandable with limited structure but to drop a shack over a crib and not even use it is stupid!

I don't mind neighbors shacks IF they ain't 12in off my wall and IF they are being used!

Offline IcemanEsq

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2015, 09:59 AM »
It's absolutely a case by case basis.  Unattended hardsides on small bodies of water get no more than 15 feet of courtesy room.  Several well known and productive ponds I fish often can be littered with hardsides in prime fishing spots that go unused frequently.  If you're set up and fishing, I'll give you the space necessary to make sure we aren't tangling lines or in each other's way.  If I see you there when I'm there on other occasions, you'll get more room from me.  If I never see you, but you're parked in the middle of a great spot, I'll fish only far enough away to make sure my holes don't swallow your hardside when a strong rain develops.

The bigger the lake, the further away I'll be.  And in some other instances (like Pleasant Lake, Deerfield) it's a "When in Rome" scenario, where everyone is set up on top of each other.  I , and I think most people, prefer to have their own space and will give space when conditions allow.   
Spell check -- give it a try.

Offline nixstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2015, 11:27 AM »
I usually adhere to at least a 100 ft. cushion... more if possible. I like my space. That said, if someone rolls in and sets up close to me, I won't complain as long as they're not rude. Even better if they offer beer as a peace offering.   ;D   

I have a similar take on hard sides. If the bobhouse is occupied I give the same 100 ft bubble. But, as far as I'm concerned, if you're not there, the area is fair game. If you show up late, too bad... you don't own the spot and have the same ability that I do to fish somewhere else (out in the cold, like me). 

Then there's folks who have a "regular" spot. There's a lake I fish on occasion where I always see the same couple guys fishing the same spot every weekend -- on some great structure. I haven't had occasion yet, but I do plan to get there early some day and beat them to it. How would you guys feel if you showed up and someone was "in your spot?"

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #21 on: Feb 16, 2015, 11:32 AM »
I just move further on down (at least 100 yards or more) and set up.  ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Terasec

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 16, 2015, 11:38 AM »
will vary depending on lake and conditions,
I fish alone so do prefer to be within earshot of others,
when i am with my son, i am usually closer to others for safety reasons,
i usually drop my gear at a spot, walk over to nearest guy, ask how its going ask them if its ok to set up over there
never had anyone mind where i set up,

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #23 on: Feb 16, 2015, 12:14 PM »
You can always wear this!!  ;)

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 16, 2015, 12:22 PM »

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 16, 2015, 03:15 PM »

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 16, 2015, 05:27 PM »
If I can hear your conversation you're too close... Personally I would never setup closer than 50 yards from someone and even that is kinda close for me, but I fish warm water species so I think those ponds usually aren't as crowded as some of the trout waters around here.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.