The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: DEER HAIR JIGS  (Read 1839 times)

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
DEER HAIR JIGS
« on: Feb 09, 2015, 04:04 PM »
Any one see the video with the guy pulling up slammer calico on a white deer hair jig. Probably a size 8 or 6 jig head. He ties them in the hut no bait. Going to get my vise out should have kept my deer tail oh well my friend has a few I know. I will  let you know how they work or if it works going out tomorrow if the kids don't have another delay. Even with the plastics I keep using bait. That may be a problem right there.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: DEER HAIR JIGS
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2015, 05:52 PM »
I was told by more than one old timer over the years that white is the best color for calicos. 

Offline boatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2015, 07:38 PM »
Yea,keep in mind he was fishing for 16"+ crappies.They are hard to find in Pa,although not impossible.

Offline Baxter1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2015, 08:59 PM »
Try some tiny calf tail jigs in 1/80 or 1/100 oz sizes.
HAVE A CRAPPIE DAY

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2015, 09:02 PM »
Tied a few 1/64's. We will try after school delays. Retired and I still have school delays.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2015, 01:04 AM »
Saw the video,he's fishing lake of the woods giant crappie,with what looked like 1/8 oz. jig head. My son tied some 1/64 deer hair and I tied some grey and fox squirrel on a 1/64 head they work,but no 16's. We caught keepers 10-12 inches, but no better than plastic.Those aggressive giants would have hit a lot of things,my choice would have been a spoon like a Slender or Forage minnow.

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2015, 09:03 AM »
Did you tip it with bait.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2015, 09:16 AM »
Clean, I did put a couple of drops of Berkley crappie sent on them. I don't know if it really helped. I do no that the jigs with less hair worked better than with more hair. I did good with the grey squirrel tail,kind of made some what off nymph body with a tail..When finished they should be just about a inch long. It's fun to catch fish on something you made but the plastic stuff work better in my opinion.I'm Rastso nut I love them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.