Author Topic: Taking the dogs???  (Read 750 times)

Offline northwestslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • gone and fishin
Taking the dogs???
« on: Feb 07, 2015, 12:06 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has anything they can share about taking there dogs out on the ice. Do there feet freeze? Mine love it! But when im not driving out on ice, like onota or something, can they last? Any info from dog owners would help

Offline cticedog

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Taking the dogs???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2015, 03:33 PM »
I bring my black lab she's fine, i bring her a blanket or i put her in the truck for a while then she's back out reeling fish in.

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2015, 03:42 PM »
does she use tip ups, or does she use a jigging rod? a pic would be great///
wishing i was still young

Offline cnyhunter84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2015, 06:45 PM »
Our dog is a puss and we left her in the shanty to check a flag last year.  She got up and dragged her blanket over the buddy heater while we were checking.  Luckily it was a wool blanket and didn't catch fire, but since then she gets to stay home on the couch.

Offline craiger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swedish steel is for real
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2015, 01:04 PM »
My dog ended up eating a shiner with a hook in it.  Shoulda just ripped the hook out of his tongue on the ice.   But instead took him to the emergency vet 45 minutes away.  While they sedated him, he somehow swallowed the hook.  They knocked him out and couldn't find it with a scope.  Picked through his turds for two weeks and never found any remnant of it. 

First and last time I took him on the ice.   >:(

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2015, 01:31 PM »
I bring mine all the time, and he is great in the snow. He loves it but does get cold in conditions where it's frigid, I bring plenty of blankets and he goes to the car when he's had enough. If he wasn't a good dog in a car alone I would do it, but he usually comes back out a few times in a day. Also if you are letting them off leash just be cautious that all the lake is frozen, and clear it with any other fisherman around. I had some guys at hpgsback one day that seemed to be mad when he went over to them to get pet. He will also eat the dead fish and minnows that others leave around so careful with that. If I have a fire I'll cook up a perch for him or some roe.

Offline NewGuy123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2015, 02:20 PM »
a few guys who i were fishing with  brought along  their dogs  while ice fishing
when the fish werent biting i would watch them slip, slide, and fall over
one of them ate a short gill  when i wasnt looking
plus they make great hand warmers   when things start to get cold

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2015, 02:48 PM »
I bring my black lab she's fine, i bring her a blanket or i put her in the truck for a while then she's back out reeling fish in.
     i tried bringing one of my shepards jigging with me years ago, but she just couldnt get the hang of the spinning reel.
wishing i was still young

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2015, 04:20 PM »
I see people taking there dogs out onto the ice a lot lately, not ice fisherman, but people out hiking, sno-shoein, dogs always look like there loving it as they always come up to check things out.

Offline northwestslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • gone and fishin
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2015, 05:08 PM »
Thanx for all the great info!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.