The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy Ice Auger Problems  (Read 4005 times)

Offline WhiteGameHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish!!
Jiffy Ice Auger Problems
« on: Jan 11, 2006, 02:20 PM »
I just got a new Jiffy 3HP, it starts fine, but when I go to drill a hole it dies on me.  I have to run it at half-choke and sometimes press the primer bulb to keep it going.  I don't know much about engines so any help would be appreciated.

Offline rokibass

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Flag Up
Re: Jiffy Ice Auger Problems
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2006, 02:30 PM »
 Did you make sure the vent was open on the gas cap? If this is not it it defenitly is a stuck needle in the carb, and will need a carb clean. Hope this helps.

Rokibass

Offline WhiteGameHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2006, 03:23 PM »
Yeah I open the gas cap vent every time.  The auger is only two weeks old, why should I have to get the carb cleaned already.

Offline rokibass

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Flag Up
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2006, 03:30 PM »
 Just sounds to me that the carb needle is stuck so your not getting fuel. If its only 2 weeks old I would take it in and have it fixed. I know they come with the paperwork from tecemseh for warrenty.
It's not worth playing with.

Offline iceslayer#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2006, 09:23 PM »
there is a high and low carb adjustment, play with the high screw and probaly turning it counter clockwise

camo_fish

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2006, 02:29 AM »
from ShantyIceFish:

A post of mine after I ran into similar problems...  Enjoy.

Re: Carb Adjustment on Jiffy Auger
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2005, 09:53 AM » Reply with quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.  Pull the yellow plastic caps out of the carb adjusters.

2.  Lightly seat both of the carb adjustment screws.

3.  The left screw, the "low" idle adjustment should be turrned out 1 1/8 turns.

4.  The right screw, the "high" idle adjustment should be turned out between 5/8 and 3/4 turns.

Adjust from there....

I like to leave the cap on the auger and find myself a big pile of snow.  That way I can run the thing, at idle and wide open and everywhere in between without digging a hole or harming the blade etc...
I also prefer doing this with two people, one person to hold the auger and one person to set the fine tuning on the carb. 

So, have one person start up the auger.  The idle should be fairly strong. If it's not, open up the left screw a bit...  If you turn it too much the engine will stall.  Then have the other person gun the throttle.  If the engine chokes, turn out the right screw a "c" hair and try again.  You want to be able to go from idle to full on with no hesitation.

Hope this helps  ;D

Offline WhackMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2006, 09:25 AM »
mine was the same way. i just had to fiddle with the high and low adjustment screws a little. works great now.

Offline WhiteGameHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2006, 11:28 AM »
Yeah I figured that was what it was, but just wanted some other opinions.  Thanks guys

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2006, 04:51 PM »
well my new jiffy legend   just broke the starter switch off........dealer said it was the same as a chain saw switch...2 bucks and about 20 min to undo housing works great................ ;D
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2006, 05:53 PM »
The 3HP engines seem to give some people fits out of the box.  I have a 2HP Stealth and have not had to adjust the carb at all.  Must be a carb issue with the 3HP's.   ???
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2006, 08:02 PM »
yeap mine sputtters a bit on start but runs great...think its just the newness...real test will by the feb freeeze and how it runs
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline Pomoxis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lawyers make the best chum.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2006, 11:11 PM »
Just some warnings for those who want to readjust their "mixture" screws:
> Count the number of turns IN, in eighths of a turn, until it seats. Do not seat it hard. Write the # on the engine with a Sharpie.
> Open it the same # of turns and try again. Sometimes seating it once will change things on an old/dirty engine.
> Open a ~quarter turn at a time farther than before for engines stalling under load. Better yet, adjust it under load while drilling (high speed screw only). A good reason for wanting thick ice. You will need a helper.
> After getting it running good, mark the screw and engine with a Sharpie or engraver, so you know where it was set.
> Make sure you are using recently purchased gasoline. Gas doesn't go stale real easy, but it is made differently each eason. Summer gas in the winter is the worst possible thing for an ice fisherman's power auger! Don't change your mixture screws to run good with the wrong gas.
The more I fish, the more I  to fish, but the only  I need is BEER.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.