Author Topic: Bait Tank II (Cooling)  (Read 2630 times)

Offline Roacho

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bait Tank II (Cooling)
« on: Jan 11, 2006, 10:30 AM »
Lots of discussions about bait tanks.  The previous threads are good.   In the previous thread we discussed water cooling using dehumidifier coils. 

Does anyone have any other water cooling techniques?

I'd rather be fishing!
www.elroacho.com
Rowley, MA

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re: Bait Tank II (Cooling)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2006, 12:12 PM »
I have my tank in an insulated "box" outside. I keep the water from freezing by using a stock tank heater. The heater is thermostaticly controled (built in) and keeps the water just above freezing.

This time of year it's easier to keep the water from freezing then it is to cool it.

Offline Roacho

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2006, 12:22 PM »
Good point!
I'd rather be fishing!
www.elroacho.com
Rowley, MA

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2006, 12:41 PM »
well, I got 3 dozen shinner about a week ago, and they are in a 5 gallon bucket in the basement, and they are doing just fine, all I do is change half of the water every night before bed, and give them crushed cat food. easy enough  ;D
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2006, 12:48 PM »
well, I got 3 dozen shinner about a week ago, and they are in a 5 gallon bucket in the basement, and they are doing just fine, all I do is change half of the water every night before bed, and give them crushed cat food. easy enough  ;D

Try that with 10 POUNDS of bait or more.  ;)  I think Roucho is looking for a solution to store larger quantities of bait. 

(2) 100 gallon tanks.....I keep ~10 pound in each tank (sometimes a little more). I use the commercial areators from Cabelas and floating stock tank heaters. A little over the top for some folks, but I don't have to deal with bait shop hours.  ;) ;D

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2006, 01:36 PM »
I go with fishingonly as have kept shiners that way for 35 years and had great sucess. I happen to feed oatmeal instead but they live quite nicely, :tipup:
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2006, 01:38 PM »
Foam is caused by protien breaking down. This is usually the result of rotting fish or uneaten fish food.

Sure-Life makes a product called "Foam Off" that will stop this. If you don't feed the bait and keep the dead ones out of the water, you can usually avoid the situation all together.

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2006, 02:22 PM »
I have an old salad bar box that a restaurant was throwing out.  It measures 4'X6' with a built in spigot at the bottom.  We just leave it in the garage with the thermostat set at 40 degrees.  Able to keep bait for most of the winter.  Just take some water out every week and add a little bit back.  Feed them a little fish food and they are good to go.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline Roacho

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2006, 02:30 PM »
DO ANY OF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH WHITE FOAM?WHAT DO YOU DO TO GET RID OF IT?
                                                     JHM

Use a protien skimmer - inexpensive at PetCo
I'd rather be fishing!
www.elroacho.com
Rowley, MA

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2006, 02:43 PM »
Stole from brewing beer. Get a really old fridge cheap, take out the shelves, and there ya go. Works great for cooling them indoors, for heating, just unplug the darn thing and turn on the aquarium heaters in the tank. Of course, it wont work with those huge plastic tanks pictured above, but works great with a 10 gallon aquarium. The cooling coils from a dehumidifier wouldnt work well because you cant regulate the temps.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2006, 05:33 PM »
get a deep well freezer thats what i do 17 cubic footer used

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.