The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Where to go??  (Read 1980 times)

Offline goldbars

• IceShanty Rookie
Where to go??
« on: Feb 04, 2015, 07:12 AM »
Hey fellow icemen, Im from PA, and was looking in to coming to Minnesota for fishing trip. Does anyone know any good sleeper house charters or best place to go? Mainly lookin for walleye. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
some can, some cant, some never will!!!!

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Where to go??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2015, 08:34 AM »
If you are looking for walleye, there is really only one place to go in Minnesota! Beautiful, world-class Lake of the Woods! There are 2 place's I always recommend when you are looking for a sleeper house. One is Arnesen's Rocky Point Lodge and the other is Zipple Bay Resort! Both are first rate operation's. There are so many good resort's on LOW! You could go to just about any one of them and enjoy success. Here is a good link to check them out!  www.Lakeo0f theWoodsTourism.com Good luck on your trip! :icefish:DIRTBALL2 ;)2
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline goldbars

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2015, 10:56 AM »
If you are looking for walleye, there is really only one place to go in Minnesota! Beautiful, world-class Lake of the Woods! There are 2 place's I always recommend when you are looking for a sleeper house. One is Arnesen's Rocky Point Lodge and the other is Zipple Bay Resort! Both are first rate operation's. There are so many good resort's on LOW! You could go to just about any one of them and enjoy success. Here is a good link to check them out!  www.Lakeo0f theWoodsTourism.com Good luck on your trip! :icefish:DIRTBALL2 ;)2
thanks for the info dirtball, I will be looking in to it! You recommend any certain time in the winters months for optimal success?

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2015, 12:05 PM »
Making my way to Zippel Bay at the end of February for my first trip to LOTW.  Doing the shallow water sleeper with the deep water day house package, cant wait!

Offline goldbars

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2015, 02:39 PM »
Making my way to Zippel Bay at the end of February for my first trip to LOTW.  Doing the shallow water sleeper with the deep water day house package, cant wait!
Big storm you mind me askin with what outfit, and how much?? Good luck to you, let me know how you make out!

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2015, 02:48 PM »
Big storm you mind me askin with what outfit, and how much?? Good luck to you, let me know how you make out!

Going thru Zippel Bay, for 2 days/nights with 2 fish houses for 2 people came to $275/ea I think. the prices are posted on their site. The shallow water sleeper is in 20ft of water for the early morning and evening bite and the day house is in 30+ft.

http://zippelbay.com/

Its definitely more $ to do the 2 fish house option but I wanted the best shot and catching numbers of fish since the other person going is my wife and I don't want her to get bored.

The also set up a bar on the ice, so I'm sure we'll visit that too

Offline goldbars

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2015, 06:04 AM »
Going thru Zippel Bay, for 2 days/nights with 2 fish houses for 2 people came to $275/ea I think. the prices are posted on their site. The shallow water sleeper is in 20ft of water for the early morning and evening bite and the day house is in 30+ft.

http://zippelbay.com/

Its definitely more $ to do the 2 fish house option but I wanted the best shot and catching numbers of fish since the other person going is my wife and I don't want her to get bored.

The also set up a bar on the ice, so I'm sure we'll visit that too
Thx, for the info.. and god bless you for taking your wife, cant get mine to step on the ice, but if I did prob. be in bar all the time..lol

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2015, 10:45 AM »
thanks for the info dirtball, I will be looking in to it! You recommend any certain time in the winters months for optimal success?

Early ice and late ice usually are your best bet! In reality, the best time to go is whenever you get the chance! Bob chance mon Ami! :thumbsup:DIRTBALL2 ;)2
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline iowaicefisher35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2015, 12:49 PM »
I would recommend Red Lake in December if I was looking for walleyes.  I've been to both LOTW and Red Lake multiple times and have always had better luck with walleyes on Red.  It seemed like we caught a ton more sauger than we did walleyes on LOTW and they weren't very big.  Depending on what you're looking for I would maybe shy away from Arnnessens, it seemed like they herded people through there like cattle when we were there.  On a plus side they do have a very nice lodge, the food was good, and there were a bunch of Minnesota Vikings players there when we were there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.