Author Topic: will this snow hurt ice  (Read 942 times)

Offline bendix.iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
will this snow hurt ice
« on: Feb 03, 2015, 03:37 AM »
South bend area 15+ inches of snow will that do some damage to the ice??

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: will this snow hurt ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2015, 03:40 AM »
Nah ice is fine. Go out drill thousands of holes water will soak right up and you'll have another 6 inches of snow ice in no time.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2015, 04:14 AM »
Getting out this morning. Will let you know. I imagine it will be a little wet today but can't imagine the ice got killed too bad. Most places I was at last week we're 8 inches plus. Got pretty cold again last night. But I've also read about guys finding soft spots since the storm. Anyone else have a reports
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2015, 05:39 AM »
lets just hope it melts off soon.  snow will insulate the ice and the lake will melt it gradually underneath. we have been out in 0* weather and had water and slush under the snow still!   
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2015, 07:56 AM »
The good news is the snow was wet and heavy...it appears to have sunk the ice and flooded it. There was spots where it was all froze and others where I was breaking thru the crust layer. Yes I too hit a bad spot where there was a old hole that only had about 2" of clear ice in a 2ft radius. Ice was 8-10" everywhere else.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2015, 08:06 AM »
Basically didn't get any in East Central Indiana. What little snow/slush we did get should make for easier walking and better fishing. It was easy walking before, but very slick.
Paul

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2015, 08:14 AM »
You can have what we got here in NW Indiana. I measured 18" on the flat yesterday in my front yard in Hobart.
Agree with what was already stated about ice. Sure will be a bugger trudging thru that stuff!
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2015, 08:51 AM »
I am really worried about the ice. Made it out for a few hours yesterday and it was a horrible walk. Still plenty of ice (8-10") but 6" of water/slush under the snow and I avoided any sketchy areas. It was not cold enough to freeze any of it so it was a wet boot type of day. I just hope these cold temps are cold enough to reach down into this snow and tighten some things up otherwise I may stay off the ice for a while.

Only had a few fish come in but all were aggressive (which is a nice change of pace).

Offline revice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2015, 09:10 AM »
I was out yesterday and it was sloppy, however the place a scraped off had water at first then was frozen solid by the time I left. Good news is the fish are still biting!
Be Safe....
No Judgments...Just Jesus...

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2015, 09:17 AM »
5" south of Ft. Wayne.  Lots of slush before the actual snow started to stick.  It was a good day fishing for me anyway.

Offline Gillhunter97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Eat Sleep Repeat
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2015, 11:02 AM »
Well it wont help thats for sure lol ;D

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2015, 07:30 PM »
Update. Ice is fine and I'm sore from all the snow today! Pounded the fish still so they don't care yet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.