Author Topic: First Auger.  (Read 5204 times)

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
First Auger.
« on: Jan 10, 2006, 11:15 PM »
Well I almost hugged the UPS guy today when he came beause I was outside and I saw him pull up and I think I saw a glowing light around his truck(might have been the sun glaring off it) but I knew he was bringing me my very first auger, Strikemaster Electra Lazer 12000 DP.  Which made me wonder when everyone else got their first auger and what was it???

"That's how you do it...That is how you ice fish!" MM

Offline TonyC

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish Control My Brain!!!!
Re: First Auger.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2006, 05:10 AM »
My first was an (is) 8 in Mora manual style, bought the day after my first ice fishing experience at Rays in No Plainfield, NJ. Probably 1985. The thing is still in service and have replaced the blade maybe a half dozen times.

I have been eyeing the electric models for a couple of years now. Maybe some day

Offline Sub Zero

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2006, 06:25 AM »
AJ,
I started chipping holes with a ice bar back in the 70's until we had a really cold winter (thick ice) and I complained enough to Pop and we purchased our first gas auger called the "Aqua Bug" It's a lightweight machine with an 8 inch bit. (Still runs great but it's now my backup because of it's age) Anyway- congrates on the New Strikemaster! Let us know how it works for ya.
People think we're crazy but we know better!

Offline Icephishnphreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I come from the land of Lizards
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2006, 06:50 AM »
I got my first auger about 15 years ago. It used to be my old next door neighbors boyfriends. He split from her and left a ton of fishing tackle. Most of it was junk but he did leave a jiffy 300 in mint condition. I asked her if she wanted to keep any of his stuff and she said "hell no, its all yours". So I grabbed all of his stuff and now the auger is the only thing of his that I still have and she is still running great!

Offline TONYR

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2006, 09:27 AM »
My Mora 5 inch is a dream when the ice gets over 12 inches. I know I can get a 5.5 pound bass through it because I have done it several times. It gets a bit sticky when you try to bring up a 4-5 channel cat and it extends the pectoral spikes (steady pressure and banging him on the bottom of the hole got it done). I use a six inch Mora most of the time when the ice is less than 12 inches. I have found that the blades last a long time if you treat the auger with tender loving care. The gas auger is in the attic and most likely will stay there unless we get more than 24 inches of ice and there is a contest on and more bigger holes are needed. Congratulations on that new electric, let us know how it works when we have some ice to try it on.

Pray to the ICE fairy and we might get something for the end of the month and the contests that are coming up. Stay dry out there...

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2006, 11:18 AM »
AJ I'm beginning to wonder about you!!!! HA HA. Make sure you don't forget to bring it with you the next time we go fishing, and make sure it's fully charged! What does the owners manual say about battery life? Does the battery develop a memory? In other words, if you don't run the battery down all the way do you end up shortening the life of the charge? That's very important, because you're going be drilling a lot of holes for me and Shawn! ;D
:icefish:

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2006, 11:48 AM »
Bob I havn't read the manual yet, but when I read it later I will check on that, and I will drill holes for you but I will have to see how nice shawn is being to me lol  :P j/k.  And I will definitly be praying to the ice fairy for some cold weather, people at work think I'm sick cause I keep saying how I hate this weather and I want it to get cold while they are loving this warm weather ???- I don't get those sick people!

Offline Icephishnphreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2006, 01:11 PM »
AJ all the people at work do the same to me. I look at them and say "This is January not April and it is supposed to be freezing out!!!!!"

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2006, 02:03 PM »
Bob I havn't read the manual yet, but when I read it later I will check on that, and I will drill holes for you but I will have to see how nice shawn is being to me lol  :P j/k.  And I will definitly be praying to the ice fairy for some cold weather, people at work think I'm sick cause I keep saying how I hate this weather and I want it to get cold while they are loving this warm weather ???- I don't get those sick people!
AJ I bet I can make more wholes with my auger then you can with your baby auger.
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline sofa king cool

• IceShanty Rookie
  • TIP-UP!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2006, 03:14 PM »
So I grabbed all of his stuff and now the auger is the only thing of his that I still have and she is still running great!

The auger or the old hottie neighbor?  ;D
uhhh..huh huh huh..he said crappie

Offline TONYR

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2006, 03:54 PM »
Ya gotta ignore anybody that thinks ice fishing is for nut-cases. As far as I'm concerned there should only be two seasons in the entire year................. Winter and the fourth of July. Tight lines....

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2006, 04:50 PM »
lol idk shawn, ur getting kinda old, i might need to start drilling holes for u :P.

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2006, 09:20 PM »
lol idk shawn, ur getting kinda old, i might need to start drilling holes for u :P.
OK AJ I got the lol, but you have to clue me in to the meaning of "idk". Was It a typo? Any way, as far as drilling of holes is concerned, you're going to to one busy young "buck" , because there's no doubt in my mind that you're going field test your new toy to the max!!! Hardy Har Har!!!!!!

PS Bring bait! :-*

Offline oldwolf

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My first wife hated fishing!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2006, 09:23 PM »
It must have been thirty years ago when I got tired of punching a hole through the ice with a spud. Bought a spoon-type auger and proceeded up to a lake in NY. I drilled ten holes through 10-12 in. of ice and as I finished the last hole the bolts worked out out of the blade and it dropped to the bottom of the lake. As I stood there ,looking back and forth between what remained of the auger and the hole, a man walked and said if we didn't get off the lake at once he'd call the police. Yeah, I remember my first auger.

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2006, 10:00 PM »
It must have been thirty years ago when I got tired of punching a hole through the ice with a spud. Bought a spoon-type auger and proceeded up to a lake in NY. I drilled ten holes through 10-12 in. of ice and as I finished the last hole the bolts worked out out of the blade and it dropped to the bottom of the lake. As I stood there ,looking back and forth between what remained of the auger and the hole, a man walked and said if we didn't get off the lake at once he'd call the police. Yeah, I remember my first auger.
Was the snow thirty feet deep too??? And did you have to walk to school ten miles uphill with no shoes on your feet??? ;D

Offline Icephishnphreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2006, 06:18 AM »
The auger or the old hottie neighbor?  ;D

The auger Sofa King the auger........The neighbor was  :sick: :cookoo:   

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2006, 12:29 PM »
lol in that case I would take the auger too. Bob, I was meaning that I don't know, but yea I'm gonna drill so many holes with that thing when I get the chance that it will look like a mine field by the time I'm done ;D.

Offline Icephishnphreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2006, 12:44 PM »
Turn that ice to swiss cheese AJ ;D

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2006, 01:21 PM »
lol in that case I would take the auger too. Bob, I was meaning that I don't know, but yea I'm gonna drill so many holes with that thing when I get the chance that it will look like a mine field by the time I'm done ;D.
Yes all 15 to 20  whole's then the battery dies. HA HA

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2006, 09:20 PM »
lol u won't be saying that when your relaxing in the AM while I drill your holes  :P.

Offline oldwolf

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My first wife hated fishing!!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2006, 09:12 PM »
Augie--True story. When I exaggerate, obfuscate, or am just plain telling a tall- tale I use extra punctuation marks and smiley faces.

Offline Pomoxis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lawyers make the best chum.
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2006, 10:05 PM »
Oldwolf - sorry to hear that. A truly ruined day, or week. My first was also a MORA Spoon. The bolts never came loose, they have nylock nuts. I am still using it with good results. A few trips ago I forgot my scoop. The spoon auger got that job done well too. :)
The more I fish, the more I  to fish, but the only  I need is BEER.

MikeThePike

« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2006, 08:08 AM »
Ya gotta ignore anybody that thinks ice fishing is for nut-cases. As far as I'm concerned there should only be two seasons in the entire year................. Winter and the fourth of July. Tight lines....

I couldn't agree more but with 1 exception......2-3 weeks of striper fishing before and after the 4th and I'll b a very happy camper.

crowkiller

« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2006, 09:48 AM »
my first auger was a spoon now i steped up to n 8" lazer

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2006, 10:58 AM »
AJ,
Are you ever going to use that NEW Auger? I have asked you to go fishing the last five times we have been out  & no AJ. MAN What a waist of $350 HA HA HA. Give it to me I'll let you know how it work's

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 17, 2006, 07:40 PM »
College Student=NO money, lol.  Ice in Jersey would be no problem but no use getting a ny license when I'm barely gonna use it :-[.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.