Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Where to go?  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
Where to go?
« on: Jan 30, 2015, 01:58 PM »
I've family stuff on Saturday but Sunday is free.  Help me decide where to go fishing.  I'd like to take my 4 wheeler but want to stay on the top side of the ice.  Thinking about Clear Lake or Crystal Lake or ????

Any suggestions for this Sunday? (not into the superbowl thing)
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Where to go?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:38 PM »
Never been to Crystal Lake, but had good luck at Clear Lake this year on the crappies.  Should not be hard to find them based on the number of shacks.  Fishing report is pretty specific with respect to depth of water for the nicer crappies.  I will be somewhere also, but that is too far of a drive for me.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:57 PM »
Fished Crystal last weekend, slow. Kept a few 7 inch  gills for dinner. Everyone around said same thing with not much luck . Seems to be a hit or miss, I know they were hammering them a few weeks ago. I'll be at Clear tommor, Crappies are biting but they seem to have a muddy taste...From what I've found anyways along with a few other groups I've talked to. Good yellow bite out there, Tommor I think I'll be chasing yellows and see if I can keep a few crappies for a meal and try and use a crab boil brine to remove the muddy tatse

Offline crk89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2015, 08:46 PM »
Not sure how the weather will affect the bite?? I would hit clear lake..Crystal has been slow....my report from today for clear lake is as always get away from the crowds , blaze your own trail and don't be afraid to fail...took home a"bunch" of 10in  plus yellows and 2 bonus eyes and lost another >:(....haven't fished this spot since 2010...gps is a must....spoons and glow red best....sunrise to 12:30...good luck!!

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2015, 10:22 PM »
Clear was good today. Like said previously stay away from the crowd. Did good in the beginning until my auger died on me. Moved into the massive 100 hole grid someone blazed and fished that and nearby vacant grids others had drilled in the crowd and didn't even mark one. Few groups out there had some nice walleyes they were catching while yellow fishing. Had either a nice eye or nice cat hit...Until the line got caught in the spring bobber..and well what proceeded were 4 of George Carlin's 7 words not used on Television >:(

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2015, 05:22 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys.  With the snow storm that came in, I ended up just staying home all day.  Well I did get out to clean 7 1/2 inches of snow out of my driveway.  Also drove out to where my boat is tarped for the winter to check on it.  The snow had blown clean from the tarp but the roads were pretty bad. (this was Sunday evening)
take care,
Dave  :>)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.