Author Topic: tommy cod  (Read 3267 times)

Offline shackdweller

• IceShanty Rookie
tommy cod
« on: Jan 29, 2015, 06:46 PM »
Maine boy fishin the Derby and wondering if I can bring tommy cod for bait from Maine? Thanks  :tipup:

BrookieSlayer99

Re: tommy cod
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:11 PM »
I have no clue why you would but I think so  ???

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:35 PM »
I have no clue why you would but I think so  ???

Tommycod are excellent crappie bait.

Offline LunkahHuntah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:43 PM »

Offline shackdweller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2015, 08:10 PM »
Read the part about importing and a permit. Wasn't sure where its a salt water species. Thanks again

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2015, 08:19 PM »
Yeah you can.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fishing/baitfish_species.htm

I'm not sure who put those lists together, but tommy cod (Atlantic tomcod, Microgadus tomcod) are not a Fundulus species.  That is probably meant to say Killifish/Mummichog.  Regardless, it is taxonomically incorrect.

There is also this:

"No person shall import, possess, sell, exhibit, or release any live marine species or wildlife, or the eggs or progeny thereof, without first obtaining a permit from the NH Fish and Game Department's Executive Director."

Atlantic tomcod live in brackish waters and estuaries most of the time, so if they are imported into the state alive, that might be an issue. 

They are illegal to use as bait in Maine, alive or dead, which means that, if tomcod were kept alive and transported across Maine to another state, that would also be illegal per Maine's regulation:  "It is illegal to transport live fish without a permit except legal baitfish or smelts." 
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline Strictlyjiggin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2015, 04:47 PM »
I have a 12 salt water tommy cod about a foot long I was gonna try cutting them and tipping my jig for lakers

Offline jimwaldron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2015, 06:54 PM »
You cannot bring them into NH alive without a permit . The  ones usually brought in are one to three inches long and you still need a permit for any live baitfish that are on the list.
best to check the law with the Department.

Offline SFBBBA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2015, 01:43 PM »
I'm not sure who put those lists together, but tommy cod (Atlantic tomcod, Microgadus tomcod) are not a Fundulus species.  That is probably meant to say Killifish/Mummichog.  Regardless, it is taxonomically incorrect.

There is also this:

"No person shall import, possess, sell, exhibit, or release any live marine species or wildlife, or the eggs or progeny thereof, without first obtaining a permit from the NH Fish and Game Department's Executive Director."

Atlantic tomcod live in brackish waters and estuaries most of the time, so if they are imported into the state alive, that might be an issue. 

They are illegal to use as bait in Maine[/color], alive or dead, which means that, if tomcod were kept alive and transported across Maine to another state, that would also be illegal per Maine's regulation:  "It is illegal to transport live fish without a permit except legal baitfish or smelts."
They are not illegal to use in Maine.  They are sold at many bait shops.  I use them for bass, perch, pickerel quite often and they are very hardy, easy to keep bait.
Wolverines!!!

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2015, 02:26 PM »
They are not illegal to use in Maine.  They are sold at many bait shops.  I use them for bass, perch, pickerel quite often and they are very hardy, easy to keep bait.
I do not see Tomycod on the LEGAL list to use in the State of Maine, however I do observe mummichogs...get your spectacles ready    ;D ;Dhttp://www.eregulations.com/maine/fishing/laws-pertaining-to-bait-dealers-use-of-baitfish/

Offline shackdweller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2015, 02:28 PM »
Yea that's the mummychog. That's the fish I was talkin about but everyone calls them tommy cod. Didn't know there was really a fish called tommy cod that wasn't a mummychog. Any bait shops selling mummychog in the derby area? Thanks

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2015, 02:32 PM »
Yea that's the mummychog. That's the fish I was talkin about but everyone calls them tommy cod. Didn't know there was really a fish called tommy cod that wasn't a mummychog. Any bait shops selling mummychog in the derby area? Thanks

Yup you are correct they are technically mummichog we have always called them tommys here as well
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline TogueRogue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2015, 02:47 PM »
I can remember (maybe 30 years ago) bait shops always had Tommy Cod...nowadays I'm not aware of any that do...

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2015, 04:13 PM »

You are talking about mummichog, not Atlantic tomcod.
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2015, 04:17 PM »
You are talking about mummichog, not Atlantic tomcod.

Exactly, I think that's where people get confused, everyone where I live myself included always grew up calling them Tommys when in fact they are not.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline mussburger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2015, 04:38 PM »
Back when I was a kid, way back, Tommy Cods were an awesome sweet fish that came into market every February . I believe they were brought down from Canada . They were only available for a few weeks . Haven't seen them in over 50 years other than about 25-30 years ago in a bait shop in Raymond,NH. If you look up Tommy Cod on Google, it will lead you to Canada where it is a bigger fishing sport than our smelting. They have hundreds if not thousands of shacks in parts of Quebec , usually in February & for a few weeks , and its a big & I mean big party atmosphere. If ya have a sled & time, that's the place to party & fish. Check it out, there are lots of pics & videos about it

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2015, 07:23 PM »
I remember back in the late 60's we used to have a choice, 1.00 a doz for shiners or .75 for "tommy cods" they were very hardy and the pics and perch loved em.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2015, 08:10 PM »
Exactly, I think that's where people get confused, everyone where I live myself included always grew up calling them Tommys when in fact they are not.
Very true! Not sure how it started, but the mummichogs were always "tommy cod" around here.
Local misnomer.

Offline SFBBBA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2015, 12:19 PM »
The local bait shop calls them tommy cod, so thats what I call them. 
Wolverines!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.