The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Hand Augers  (Read 3428 times)

Offline rogcon

• IceShanty Rookie
Hand Augers
« on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:09 PM »
Well I am back up north again after a few yrs. Gave my ice fishing equip away before I left
& now it's time to reload. Looking for any input on hand augers I've heard the Nils augers
have been highly rated. Does anyone have an opinion, pro or con, on this auger or any other
brand of hand auger. Thanks

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Hand Augers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:25 PM »
Well I am back up north again after a few yrs. Gave my ice fishing equip away before I left
& now it's time to reload. Looking for any input on hand augers I've heard the Nils augers
have been highly rated. Does anyone have an opinion, pro or con, on this auger or any other
brand of hand auger. Thanks
I have  the 6" nils and love it.  It is light and folds nice and tight for transporting.  I have had the same cutterhead on it for the last 5 years and it still cuts great.  Biggest thing is to watch where your drilling and put the cover back in when done. It will cut faster than most other hand augers on the market and it will also be the most expensive. You won't regret buying one.

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:37 PM »
Another vote for Nils  ;D
Pete

Offline 1edi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:38 PM »
I have a 8" Eskimo that did well but if your on thick ice it takes forever so I hooked to a power drill now it cuts 4 holes in less time then one and with no sweat

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2015, 11:21 PM »
I have 2 hand augers 1 Eskimo 6 in for thicker ice and one 8 in strike master lazer for early and last ice I use the 6 inch because it slices thru the ice like a hot knife in butter if I could afford it I'd much rather use a nils 6 in with a cordless 20v dewalt or a makita don't go with the lower end drills and if you must got lighter use no less then 18v or you'll be there all day or break the gears in the drill all in all get the nils if u can afford it
And so it begins........

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2015, 05:24 AM »
My 8" Nils cuts great but I hit some dirty ice the 3rd trip I took it out and ended up buying a second head until I can get the original resharpened.  Just ordered a 6" Fin Bore and am taking it out for its madden voyage today, I like the idea of replacing just the blades vs. a whole head . 

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:11 AM »
As I have said before;
I have used both the Nils and the Fine Bore side by side and both cut great/the same! Now if something happens to the blades of the Fine Bore I can reach into a back pocket and get another set, for less money (easier to swap out also). Nils makes a great auger, but I will use the one that cuts just as well, is cheaper, is not as "Delicate", easier to find blade covers for, MUCH cheaper to have sharpened and I can carry multiple set of blades easier than the one Nils Head. The Fine Bore. It may not have the "Cult" following of the NIls, but that is OK by me. The NORMARK FIN-BORE, is harder to find (mostly Canada) but worth the effort in the long run.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:29 AM »
As I have said before;
I have used both the Nils and the Fine Bore side by side and both cut great/the same! Now if something happens to the blades of the Fine Bore I can reach into a back pocket and get another set, for less money (easier to swap out also). Nils makes a great auger, but I will use the one that cuts just as well, is cheaper, is not as "Delicate", easier to find blade covers for, MUCH cheaper to have sharpened and I can carry multiple set of blades easier than the one Nils Head.

x2

Fin Bore is sold in a few bait shops in my area here in VT, so they are not hard to come by.  Finding blades is even easier since the Fin Bore and Lazer use the same blades.

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:37 AM »
I'm on my first year with an 8" Nils. It burns through 12" of ice in less than a minute. I also have an 8" Eskimo mora that is slower and takes quite a bit more effort. :tipup:
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline KTP

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:42 AM »
The Nils is worth the money. Always gets rave reviews.
"An outdoor tradition since 1938."
Kittery Trading Post
301 US Route 1
Kittery, Me 03904
1-(888)-587-6246
www.KTP.com

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2015, 12:03 PM »
For all you Nils guys, have you used a Fin Bore and Nils side by side? I am not saying that a Nils is not a great auger, but I and the people that I know, that have used both, do not see a difference... Good blades and OFF-SET handles are the key to easy cutting.

Offline duke14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • thats why they call it fishin,not catchin!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2015, 01:00 PM »
got a brand new nills last season,
probably cut 50 holes with it,hit some dirty ice,
now it wont cut worth a c#@p,
170 bucs after tax ,plus another 100 to replace the head and get the old one resharpened,
fishin aint cheap!!

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2015, 02:45 PM »
got a brand new nills last season,
probably cut 50 holes with it,hit some dirty ice,
now it wont cut worth a c#@p,
170 bucs after tax ,plus another 100 to replace the head and get the old one resharpened,
fishin aint cheap!!
Happens to everyone at least once no matter what.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2015, 02:51 PM »
I picked up an 8inch nills on Monday and that things sweet. a fellow member and buddy of mine has the finbor.  They are both pretty nice but I thing the nills is faster and less effort. I got the one ready for a drill ill report back after I try it.

Offline brycro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2015, 06:17 PM »
I have an 8" Nils and a strikemaster mora 6"....bought it NOS with 3 packs of swedish made blades.  First time in 2 seasons I used my mora today and it cuts great.  Nils is good.  thing is sharp.  Am going to retrofit my mora with a drill.   
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2015, 06:30 PM »
I'm sorry but I have to say it, folks you don't have to buy a second Nils head to get the original sharpened.  Get the original to Frank and he'll probably have it back to you within a week for $20.00 plus USPS both ways.  If you WANT or PREFER to have a second head, go for it, but don't try to imply that a second head is mandatory as some of you seem to want to do.  Yes, a second head is very convenient, but again NOT mandatory with Frank's level of customer service.  And, for what it's worth, I went five years each on my 6" (manual) and 8" (power) heads before sending them off to Frank.  They're not a "throw the auger head uncovered into the pack of your pick-up bed" type of auger but they're not butterfly fragile as it would seem by some of your commentary.  Just saying. 
Chris Raymond

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:16 PM »
Man Chris I wish I talked to you before I bought my extra head for the Nils since you seem to have it all figured out.... ::).  Anyway, took the Fin Bore out today and it worked great.  I would highly recommend it and now that I have hands on experience with it and the Nils I would recommend the Fin Bore over the Nils for the price and blade issues already mentioned.

Offline 4chevys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:03 PM »
I have an 8" Nils and love it.  Paid $40 at a garage sale for it.  I had a buddy that worked in  a machine shop in a mill and he tuned up the blade for me when i damaged it.  I also have a 7" HT auger, a 6" Mora and a 8" Lazer.  The Nils is always my favorite.  A friend of mine has a Fin Bore and I think it works just about as good as the Nils. 

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2015, 07:22 AM »
Man Chris I wish I talked to you before I bought my extra head for the Nils since you seem to have it all figured out.... ::)

I would have been happy to have provided my advice...let me know when next it's needed.  ;-)
Chris Raymond

Offline willisdotcom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2015, 01:56 AM »
does anyone know if the HT double offset handle will fit the strikemaster lazer augers? 

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2015, 08:21 AM »
I have the 8" Nils.  My original head cut like crap right out of the box.  I finally put my spare on and am quite happy.  I had Frank sharpen the original, so Im ready for the next time. 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2015, 02:20 PM »
I'm sorry but I have to say it, folks you don't have to buy a second Nils head to get the original sharpened.  Get the original to Frank and he'll probably have it back to you within a week for $20.00 plus USPS both ways.  If you WANT or PREFER to have a second head, go for it, but don't try to imply that a second head is mandatory as some of you seem to want to do.  Yes, a second head is very convenient, but again NOT mandatory with Frank's level of customer service.  And, for what it's worth, I went five years each on my 6" (manual) and 8" (power) heads before sending them off to Frank.  They're not a "throw the auger head uncovered into the pack of your pick-up bed" type of auger but they're not butterfly fragile as it would seem by some of your commentary.  Just saying.

You are correct if you fish one day per week but if you screw up your head on Saturday unless you have a second head or a backup auger your out of luck for Sunday

For all you Nils guys, have you used a Fin Bore and Nils side by side? I am not saying that a Nils is not a great auger, but I and the people that I know, that have used both, do not see a difference... Good blades and OFF-SET handles are the key to easy cutting.

The Nils is a little smoother and doesn't seem to catch at the bottom of the hole as much granted this isn't a fin bore but uses the same blades 
  I just kept the nils augers for backups now that  i have a power auger the Eskimo will be the back up and both Nils augers are for sale

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2015, 02:35 PM »
Hey Reel,
What size are you Nils your selling?  Shoot me a pm if you don't mind.

Thanks
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2015, 02:44 PM »
http://www.fish307.com/normarkfin-boreiiihandaugers.aspx
Can carry extra blades in case something happens and you also will not be without an auger for a week.
Don't fall in. Unless it's a big one.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2015, 02:52 PM »
The Nils is a little smoother and doesn't seem to catch at the bottom of the hole as much granted this isn't a fin bore but uses the same blades 
  I just kept the nils augers for backups now that  i have a power auger the Eskimo will be the back up and both Nils augers are for sale

Watching the video, they are with in one or two turns and the Nils looked much harder to get out of the hole after the hole was cut. I never noticed that when I was using one. To each his own, but I will go with a more standard auger with good blades and a offset handle and save myself the sometimes down sides of a Nils...

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2015, 03:17 PM »
Is there somewhere where you can just buy the offset handle. I tried doing a search and couldn't find any websites that sell just the offset handle.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2015, 03:52 PM »
I have not seen one...

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2015, 04:47 PM »
Watching the video, they are with in one or two turns and the Nils looked much harder to get out of the hole after the hole was cut. I never noticed that when I was using one. To each his own, but I will go with a more standard auger with good blades and a offset handle and save myself the sometimes down sides of a Nils...

That is my fault i forgot my ice cleats and it was slick as heck looking at the video i didn't drill plumb holes as i was trying to stay on my feet. They use to make offset handles but dont anymore or should say they dont import them except for the fin bore 3 the Nils and the Ht velocity. Almost every Mora of Sweden auger has an offset handle but it can be quite costly getting them shipped over here as it runs about 50 to 60 dollars. you can make your own adapter to fit a Nils handle to almost any hand auger with a telescopic handle you just need a 1x1 square tube and a section of 7/16 round tube. Put the round in the square than shim all sides so it stays center and then weld. drill a few holes and your good to go.  I built 3 of them and you can find the handles on eBay from time to time or you can order them new from Nils.  There nice because they fold almost in half and are very compact. Sorry for getting off topic Just thought you guys would like to know there are other options besides what the manufactures offer you if you have a little creativeness :)  The offset handle makes all of the difference in the world Every auger should have them in my opinion 

Offline GerGa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 05, 2015, 08:15 AM »
You are correct if you fish one day per week but if you screw up your head on Saturday unless you have a second head or a backup auger your out of luck for Sunday

What size are those in the videos? Im trying to decide on 6 or 8 inch finbor, similar to your eskimo.

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 05, 2015, 09:53 AM »
Both of them are 8 inch I have a 6 also in the Eskimo you dont notice a ton of difference until you start drilling ice over a foot then the 6 seems so much easier.  I'm sure its just cause it takes longer with the thicker ice. The hand augers are really amazing how well they work the only reason i went to a power auger is that we went fishing for 5 days and each person here can have 5 poles and drilling 50 to 60 each day over those 5 days for 3 people  My arms hurt  lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.