Author Topic: carburetor adjustment screws  (Read 3409 times)

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
carburetor adjustment screws
« on: Jan 10, 2006, 07:34 AM »
anyone know the setting, or have a picture of this for a model 30 jiffy?

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: carburetor adjustment screws
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:13 AM »
Depending on the year of the machine....there are more than one carb used. If you have 2 adjustable jets on the side of the carb.??  One is a low speed gas jet and the other is the high speed gas jet. They may have plastic no-tamper caps on them. If engine idles OK then the low jet is ok. If you feel that the engine is too lean at high speed then you need to "open" the high speed jet a SMALL amount. A 1/4 of a turn is allot!!! The High speed jet is the jet farthest from the engine..low jet is the closest to the engine. Good Luck!!!

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline lucky leo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:27 AM »
anyone know the setting, or have a picture of this for a model 30 jiffy?

Turn the needle valve in all the way. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN! Then turn it out 1 1/2 turns. This is the starting point. You will have to start the engine and apply
full throtle and adjust needle to get max rpm, usually you have to turn it in a little
to get it right. ps hows the spark plug? Good luck!
                                                            Lucky

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:30 AM »
Depending on the year of the machine....there are more than one carb used. If you have 2 adjustable jets on the side of the carb.??  One is a low speed gas jet and the other is the high speed gas jet. They may have plastic no-tamper caps on them. If engine idles OK then the low jet is ok. If you feel that the engine is too lean at high speed then you need to "open" the high speed jet a SMALL amount. A 1/4 of a turn is allot!!! The High speed jet is the jet farthest from the engine..low jet is the closest to the engine. Good Luck!!!
that's it I have 2 screws with red caps on them...I will try to open up the one on the right a little....cause it starts and isles fin....but when i'm drillin..it doesn't seem to get into that high speed mode

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:31 AM »
Turn the needle valve in all the way. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN! Then turn it out 1 1/2 turns. This is the starting point. You will have to start the engine and apply
full throtle and adjust needle to get max rpm, usually you have to turn it in a little
                                                            Lucky
thanks....spark plug is new

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:32 AM »
                                                            Lucky
by needle....is that the two red capped screws I see?

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:40 AM »
yes. You have limit caps.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:42 AM »
the caps have a slot for what looks like a small flat head screwdriver...yes?

Offline lucky leo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:43 AM »

Yes, thats them. Start both of the needles at 1 1/2 turns out and take it from there.
 I've had some that are screwed almost all the way in to get it to run right.

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:44 AM »
Can you tell if the engine is getting too much fuel and won't "rev" up or not enough fuel and fades away??

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:46 AM »
Yes, thats them. Start both of the needles at 1 1/2 turns out and take it from there.
 I've had some that are screwed almost all the way in to get it to run right.

If the carb. has limit caps on ,you can not turn in untill they seat. Jets will only turn about 1/4 of a turn with limit caps on..Get it??

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2006, 09:11 AM »
Can you tell if the engine is getting too much fuel and won't "rev" up or not enough fuel and fades away??
I don't know if it's getting too much fuel....but it doesn't rev....and the blade stops spinning with any pressure

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2006, 09:20 AM »
I don't know if it's getting too much fuel....but it doesn't rev....and the blade stops spinning with any pressure
If it is too lean (not enough fuel) the engine will fade away and die if you just hold wide open until it dies. If too rich (too much fuel) it will continue to run but will smoke more and smell gassy. You HAVE to make the call here. If Too rich and wasn't before---carb. problem. Too lean---may be able to make small adj. to correct. The Engine sounds like it is changing RPMs when you pull throttle?? The "air vane gov. is moving and not stuck for some reason??

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2006, 09:31 AM »
The Engine sounds like it is changing RPMs when you pull throttle?? The "air vane gov. is moving and not stuck for some reason??
it starts fine and idles fine.....it doesn't die

just slows down with pressure

yes the rpm's change but it doesn't reach top rpm

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2006, 09:42 AM »
it starts fine and idles fine.....it doesn't die

just slows down with pressure

yes the rpm's change but it doesn't reach top rpm
If you just hold the throttle wide open when trying to drill...does the engine die in time ( say 5-10 seconds)????

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2006, 09:57 AM »
If you just hold the throttle wide open when trying to drill...does the engine die in time ( say 5-10 seconds)????
no....but ALMOST

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2006, 10:04 AM »
no....but ALMOST
Does it seem to fade away or go (I was not wanting to do this but..) putt putt putt ?? And smell gassy and seem to smoke more? It doesn't miss fire..you know Bang Putt bang Putt? :unsure:

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2006, 10:40 AM »
Does it seem to fade away or go (I was not wanting to do this but..) putt putt putt ?? And smell gassy and seem to smoke more? It doesn't miss fire..you know Bang Putt bang Putt? :unsure:
nope none of the above.....just doesn't rev like it should....and the whole blade thing too...it spins untill there is pressure

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2006, 11:07 AM »
nope none of the above.....just doesn't rev like it should....and the whole blade thing too...it spins untill there is pressure

Starting to sound like ??????  Need to take it in. Lawn and garden equipment dealer (Tecumseh engine dealer)

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2006, 11:08 AM »
i just got off the phone with jiffy....it's def. not the clutch....the tech said....turn the right screw 1/8 of a turn and that should be it  :thumbsup:

Offline shiner

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Native Vermont Icer
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2006, 06:13 PM »
If the carb. has limit caps on ,you can not turn in untill they seat. Jets will only turn about 1/4 of a turn with limit caps on..Get it??     Pop out the limit caps than you can adjust the carb . In if it is running rich  out if it is running lean  . SHINER 8)

Offline sledneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2006, 10:22 PM »
Sometimes you can look at the spark plug and tell if you are running too rich or too lean, too rich the plug will be oily and black, too lean and the plug will be white. Just right the plug will be a Carhart tan. If anything a little rich is better than too lean. You might have to clean the plug more frequently, but the engine will stay oiled better.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.