Author Topic: took the frabill venture back looking at the fish trap pro guide. suggestions  (Read 3434 times)

Offline fordraceing_man

• IceShanty Rookie
well 3 weeks ago i got the frabill adventure, well i like the shanty but its a pita to move around setting it up and taking it down all the time. no i got out alone half the time and with one buddy the other half so i don't need anything bigger then a 2 man, i would like a flip up some times i walk up to about 1-1.5 miles don't have a quad or anythign to pull it, im really leaning towards the fish trap pro guide. i can get one for 299 and i was going to buy the runners for it also. my venture was only 40 lbs but foled up pretty wide, the guide is 82 lbs but i think with the runners it should be just as easy to pull. what do you guys think, is this a nice shanty, is it hard to pull by yourself?

thanks

Offline Brian A

• IceShanty Rookie
Hi I saw your post over on Michigan Sportsman.

I have the 1 man fish trap pro. Its a great unit. I think the guide would be too much to pull around expecially in the deep snow for one person and thier gear. I would get a 1 man pro and tell your buddy to get one too, then get the connector link if you want to fish together.

thats what I did

Offline fordraceing_man

• IceShanty Rookie
yeah, i was thinking about that, but im really wanting the extra room in the guide also, does the runners you can buy for 30 bucks make the pull much better? i know its soupse to protect your tub a lot also.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I have the guide and also have the runners on it. It definately helps protect the bottom. The only problem with them is pulling them in slush or wet snow. They grooves will get packed with slush or wet snow and make it heavier to pull. If you are pulling this in snow over 6" you will definately feel the weight also.
   I love the size of this unit though and it is well made.
Ken                                          

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
I also saw your post on the other site also.  I am going through the same thing as you as far as trying to decide what shack is gonna work the best for me. I fish Erie and take my quad and drive a full size van.   The guide will not fit with my quad, so I am thinking the pro.  I fish either alone or with my 9 year old son.  We spent an hour in  the pro at Gander and I think we can both fit.  Everyone I know that has the pro loves it, if you look at the sticky improvement topic at the top of the page there are some great customizing ideas.  I think the guide would be a bear to drag without a quad or snowmobile.  By the way I have done some checking around on prices on the pro and Cabela's has them marked down to $289, but Gander has them marked down to $279.  with the lack of ice around here I think I am gonna sit tight and see if they mark them down anymore.  I think for 1 guy the pro has room to spare.  Hopefully this helps.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The runners will protect the bottom, but I don't know about making it pull easier.  If you have snow over 6 inches the guide will be a bear to pull weather it has runners or not.  IF there is no snow it won't matter, you won't even know your pulling it.  If you normally walk 1 to 1.5 miles I would get the Pro before the guide.  I have the guide, but do not walk that far. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline Brian A

• IceShanty Rookie
yea, Im 6"5" and the pro is plenty big. I had a 12 year old one man trap before this, before they made all these different sized ones.

is this swantucky from walleye central? this is perchjerker.

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yep, same guy.  I don't seem to have any problems getting the same screen name, not many swantucky's out there. lol
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline Brian A

• IceShanty Rookie
yea, I usually dont either. I may have registered for this board a while back under an old email since I cant remember the log in, I had to resort to my "real" name LOL

Offline Captain Happy

• IceShanty Rookie
Don't bother buying the runners for it, they damn near give you a heart attack on 2 inches of snow. Instead buy a pair of used ski's from a garage sale this spring or go to a ski resort and buy a garbage pair there, and you will be good to go.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
in my experience, the guide actually pulled better than the pro in snow...I know I know, its heavier...I'm not sure why it pulled easier...maybe because the weight is distributed over a larger area ???...I don't know.

Cedar Dan

Anyone know where I could get a harness setup to attach to my fish trap? It gets uncomfortable draggin it one armed. I remember seeing one for deer hunting but cant remember where. Now I cant find it on basspro.com or cabelas.com. Thanks!

Offline Brian A

• IceShanty Rookie
I made one with some old seat belt material. I just made it long enough to throw over one shoulder. Im sure if you got enough material you could make it into an actual harness or attach it to a tree stand saftey harness.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Anyone know where I could get a harness setup to attach to my fish trap? It gets uncomfortable draggin it one armed. I remember seeing one for deer hunting but cant remember where. Now I cant find it on basspro.com or cabelas.C0M. Thanks!

Cedar:  Check this out:  http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/itemDetail.cfm?product=&item=575

Price is right and................REA LLY WORKS WELL! ;)
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline Patch

• IceShanty Rookie
I use a deer drag. Fits over both shoulders and buckles in the front. Can get them at Wal-mart, K-mart, ect.................Pa tch
Life is a journey of experiences and companions..........EN JOY YOURS!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.