The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 6 or 8 for the Clam Plate  (Read 942 times)

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
6 or 8 for the Clam Plate
« on: Jan 24, 2015, 07:21 AM »
Just picked one up to try. Have always wanted a nils and really like the idea that if I end up with dead batteries early that the day does not have to end. Let's face it batteries will degrade with use over time and that 1-2 year old battery will not last as long as it did when you bought it.

My plan was to get a 6" mora or something budget friendly just to get started but now considering that this could replace my gas auger if it all works out. I use an 8" jiffy right now and never had any issues with pulling fish from those holes. My fishing varies from lakers to 8 pounds to giant white perch to as big as 16" long. I suspect that most fish will fit through a 6" hole but at what cost?

I definitely want an 8" and if I go nils would likely be what I get. If I go 6" I may just get something like a mora or similar.

Looking for feedback on the 6 vs 8" in regards to compromise of performance and a fish fitty hole. I am also too lazy to drill 2 6" holes side by side so that is not an option for me.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: 6 or 8 for the Clam Plate
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2015, 09:00 AM »
nothing bigger than 6 goes on my drills. the plate won't do any thing for size. use a lazer (black) over a mora (blue) on the drill.
when you are ready to upgrade your drill (instead of feeding the battery monster), ridgid may have their new brushless motors out by then, they are a work in progress. ridgid is life time warranted including batteries, so that adds a new dimension to your master plans, maybe down the road a tad, but none the less.

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:13 AM »
I have used an 8" hand auger in the past. I think it was an eskimo. It was ok at first. As my luck would have it we had 24-30 inches of ice that year. Bought a power auger on my way home from one of those trips I was so fed up. However, lately I have been trying to stay portable and looking at alternatives.

Not sure I want extra auger drills which why I ask about 6 vs 8. If I go 8 inch I am all in and besides the price of the nils auger, I see that I will also have to buy an adapter to fit for the clam kit. Another 2 bills for a good drill and the ion might be looking kinda good.

How about the normark 6 or 8? does that need an adapter?

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2015, 11:15 AM »
I am right there with you Brain. It seems to me once  you buy a good drill the Clam plate and a auger to go with it u r at the ION price. Im not sure which way is the better way to go. 18V drill vs 40V ION.  I started a post on what way to go and so far no ION or Strikemaster posts only Clam plate posts. I have a Nils 8" auger and it is awesome. I have had the Lazer and everytime you get to the bottom of the hole they grab. it is a common problem for them.

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2015, 12:15 PM »
the appeal of the drill vs the ion though is the power head is not proprietary and can be used as a drill; although advertised otherwise (use the drill you have).

Still going to give the plate a try though. I might borrow some hand held augers to experiment.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2015, 05:22 AM »
What are you trying to catch?  Are you hole hopping for pannies or setting traps?  If you want a lot of holes for pannies, 6" clam plate is the way to go.  If you like a bigger hole, and lot of them, then maybe something more than a clam plate.  If you want a bigger hole for a few traps, then you can still do it with the clam plate.

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2015, 02:22 PM »
What are you trying to catch?  Are you hole hopping for pannies or setting traps?  If you want a lot of holes for pannies, 6" clam plate is the way to go.  If you like a bigger hole, and lot of them, then maybe something more than a clam plate.  If you want a bigger hole for a few traps, then you can still do it with the clam plate.

The honest answer is whatever I can catch.  ;D My target fish varies from lakers to 8 pounds to giant white perch to as big as 16" long. Each hole on some of our lakes is like a box of chocolates so the desire for an 8 inch hole is there. If I am fishing with a group w/kids we don't move much and the number of holes is no big deal. If I am scouting solo or with a small group then I might drill 30-40 holes in a day for myself.

Kind of asking for the clam plate but also the general difference between fishing an 6 vs 8. Don't think I ever fished a 6" besides what I can open with spud.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.