New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Old Farts On Ice  (Read 6288 times)

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Old Farts On Ice
« Reply #60 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:20 PM »
I think I might qualify 63 bad back, bad knees, poor circulation and still love to sit on a bucket in the cold is that alzhiemers starting to set in.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Jan 24, 2015, 11:13 PM »
.im 49 sometimes my bones make me feel like im 80..arthiritis setting in   ::)..but im sure ill be on the ice when im 80....

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #62 on: Jan 24, 2015, 11:45 PM »

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #63 on: Jan 25, 2015, 03:41 AM »
You know how kids are Fred. If they can't push a button, they're sunk. Probably couldn't find the way to their kitchen with a topo map and compass.

I was teaching my Grandson orienteering last summer. We navigated our way through tthe woods with topo map and compass. He loved it and learned a skill that doesn't require batteries ;D

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #64 on: Jan 25, 2015, 06:12 AM »
You know how kids are Fred. If they can't push a button, they're sunk. Probably couldn't find the way to their kitchen with a topo map and compass.

I was teaching my Grandson orienteering last summer. We navigated our way through tthe woods with topo map and compass. He loved it and learned a skill that doesn't require batteries ;D

Rg
That's great RG , last year I left my GPS In my pocket ,in a binding snow storm and  I took A bud to my holes from the day before 4.5 miles down the lake , that's how it was done in the old day before modern technology , it was fun to see if I could still do it

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #65 on: Jan 25, 2015, 06:22 AM »
nice to go old school once in awhile Filet.......we all must have gone hungry back in the day before technology kicked in...lol......all this talk about old farts is making me feel old......58 and walk at least 72 holes a week for 7 months.....walk while deer hunting and drag deer a half mile.....I think I will use the machines for ice fishing though ;D.......I think I will hold off joining the old farts just yet....lol.....just keep on truckin boys

Offline pa ice swimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 25, 2015, 06:28 AM »
Never thought I'd be an old fart at 56, three stents, one hip replaced and the other hip scheduled to be done in March, I stumble along on the ice and at work. A buddy told me back in the fall when we were looking at the annual salmon idiot fest from the observation deck in Pulaski- time to shut it down t work and  life. He'd just retired, but still picks and chooses his jobs, ya can't ever let it all go and become a couch potatoes when you've busted tail all your life ;).

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #67 on: Jan 25, 2015, 06:37 AM »
Never thought I'd be an old fart at 56, three stents, one hip replaced and the other hip scheduled to be done in March, I stumble along on the ice and at work. A buddy told me back in the fall when we were looking at the annual salmon idiot fest from the observation deck in Pulaski- time to shut it down t work and  life. He'd just retired, but still picks and chooses his jobs, ya can't ever let it all go and become a couch potatoes when you've busted tail all your life ;).
REALLY  ;D if you feel bad stop to the job site with a box of joe and a dozen donuts , I don't miss crawling in and out of a trench box 20 ft in the ground laying concrete pipe , but I do miss the team I worked with for the last 22 years , I still keep in touch , they are like family

Offline pa ice swimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:10 AM »
If I stopped with coffee it would go to waste, they all drink Pepsi, I have 20 years on them  ;D

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
« Reply #69 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:17 AM »
I am an old fart at 62. I still try to act like I'm 18, but I can't pull the sled as far.I don't drill as many holes, I tend to stay put longer in one spot than I should. I don't bring coffee anymore because it make s me have to pee. I tend to fish more on nice days. I don't need reading glasses, I need magnifying glasses to tie on jigs. And I bring too much stuff for comfort which makes the sled heavier.

But I still love ice fishing so much that I will continue until I physically can't do it anymore or, more likely, until I become too feeble-minded to remember where and why I'm going.

I have been lucky enough to be able to fish with my son and pass on some things I have learned. My grandson is next and will be generation number 3. I think it's important to pass on our skills and traditions to the young folks. I'm also lucky to have some close ice fishing friends that I have met on this site, (RG, Retired ECO, etc.) and I will be spending more ice fishing time with them next Jan when I retire.

We are a unique group of people who enjoy a great sport and I hope that all of us old farts get to spend many more years on the ice. Peace.

packerbacker
Winners don't know they're in a race.

They just like to run.

Offline ny_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mike
« Reply #70 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:29 AM »
Ok all this aches and pains  talk is scaring  me i dont want to be a member of the old farts club.. i want to play  with my 3 grandchildren. ..... i dont own a snow machine..4 wheeler.... still drag and load my own deer... and outwork most all my aprentis's..... some of them boys are to strong to be smart.
Where is the ice !!!!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #71 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:42 AM »
I was proud of you KP it really was nasty out

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #72 on: Jan 25, 2015, 08:19 AM »

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Hang in there KP. My partner Bob has had his knees done a couple of times and at 72 he's still on the ice. Not as fast as he used to be, but he's there.

Rg

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline mush69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 25, 2015, 08:47 AM »
Count me in...I am also going to enter my "younger" cousin. He is only 71 but he is out a couple times a week. I give him a ton of credit. He lost a leg in a motorcycle accident a few years ago. He called me from the ice yesterday said he was whipped after cutting 5 holes so I guess he is an Old Fart....h2l

Them square holes are tough to cut with a hand saw!

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Jan 25, 2015, 09:24 AM »
Hey I think I might qualify for this ice club . I'm not just an old fart, (62 on jan 7) i'm a "stupid old man" too. Pull start , with no reverse snomobile,  I drive all around Oneida lake trying to avoid  gas holes , thin ice areas, , pressure cracks which I then cross or speed jump(fly)  my way across. All this "fun" just to try and catch a few walleyes and perch.  :-\ But to me, it really is a fun thing to do in winter...Sooooo 1)can I get in this club ? And 2) Am I really stupid ?
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 25, 2015, 10:18 AM »
I love reading this post. Dont feel like an old fart, icefishing since 5 years old, 53 now. I go every weekend with my son, hes half my age and his friends. They keep me going or the other way around,not sure. About 6-8 of us  go for big pike , thats our passion. I try to teach them the ropes, must have done to good a job, cause they get more fish than i do now ! Great bunch of guys, i call youngins to fish with. Hope to fish with them til they get my age.
                                                           Keep Fishin

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Jan 25, 2015, 10:35 AM »
i like this thread to the old farts have some good recipes...i cant wait to pikle some gills ;D..thanks again rg...gill tacos r good tooooo

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #77 on: Jan 25, 2015, 12:46 PM »
I am not an old Fart....yet! ;D

Going down swinging...  ;D
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #78 on: Jan 25, 2015, 01:08 PM »
I'm only 55, but my wife would always threaten to divorce me and marry a younger man, say 80 or so...   :o

Recent haircut, the Barber asked if I would like my eye brows trimmed, that was a first for me!

I had a cashier at the grocery store ask me if I needed help getting my groceries out to the car. That hurt!  :-\

I was just made a Life Member at my Fish & Game Club. No more dues!

And I do like the Senior Citizen Discount!  ;D

But, I am not an old Fart.... yet!  ::)

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #79 on: Jan 25, 2015, 02:24 PM »
I'm goin down laughing my butt off.  ;D

Rg

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #80 on: Jan 25, 2015, 02:35 PM »
I am an old fart at 62. I still try to act like I'm 18, but I can't pull the sled as far.I don't drill as many holes, I tend to stay put longer in one spot than I should. I don't bring coffee anymore because it make s me have to pee. I tend to fish more on nice days. I don't need reading glasses, I need magnifying glasses to tie on jigs. And I bring too much stuff for comfort which makes the sled heavier.

But I still love ice fishing so much that I will continue until I physically can't do it anymore or, more likely, until I become too feeble-minded to remember where and why I'm going.

I have been lucky enough to be able to fish with my son and pass on some things I have learned. My grandson is next and will be generation number 3. I think it's important to pass on our skills and traditions to the young folks. I'm also lucky to have some close ice fishing friends that I have met on this site, (RG, Retired ECO, etc.) and I will be spending more ice fishing time with them next Jan when I retire.

We are a unique group of people who enjoy a great sport and I hope that all of us old farts get to spend many more years on the ice. Peace.

packerbacker

69 and agree with every thing you said.  Geo.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #81 on: Jan 25, 2015, 05:55 PM »
Yah...he's a better golfer than me too :-\

Less than a year now Bill ;D

Rg

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
« Reply #82 on: Jan 26, 2015, 02:49 PM »
RG. I'm in countdown mode. R-minus 48.5 weeks. ;D
Winners don't know they're in a race.

They just like to run.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #83 on: Jan 26, 2015, 03:23 PM »
You need one of these Bud!

Rg

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #84 on: Jan 26, 2015, 03:31 PM »
went to buy a 6 pack and the young girl says I have to have  your  id to cash it out ...I told her I didn't have a id  but I had a note from my mom ...poor girl  looked dumb founded  and  said  I  have  toget my manager  :roflmao: everyone in line  cracked up 

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Jan 26, 2015, 03:34 PM »
65 and still alive  ;D. Talk about stupid choo choo. I got tired of the pull cord, no reverse machine so I picked up a faster modern model with all the Hoo haas.  First thing I did was gun it in reverse and me and the machine flew out at at least 20 mph right through my neighbors picket fence!  I am still recovering  ;D

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Jan 26, 2015, 03:52 PM »
65 and still alive  ;D. Talk about stupid choo choo. I got tired of the pull cord, no reverse machine so I picked up a faster modern model with all the Hoo haas.  First thing I did was gun it in reverse and me and the machine flew out at at least 20 mph right through my neighbors picket fence!  I am still recovering  ;D
Dang, sorry for laughing out loud Pequod! But Thanks for the warning...I will be thinking of you when I get my first sled ever with reverse next year!!
 Actually I'll probably FORGET(due to being an old fart)  this story and do the same damn thing, wipe out the sled , and have to use my old  reverseless sled again. :-\
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #87 on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:30 PM »
Maybe she was interested Larry and you were just too old to notice :roflmao: :roflmao:

Hope you have a good cutter.....do what they tell you!

Rg

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #88 on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:32 PM »
The local,Wally World got nailed for selling to a minor in a sting. They have to ask for id for every beer sale.now  I always say thank you when they ask me for id.

Rg

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #89 on: Jan 26, 2015, 05:26 PM »
most stores it won't ring up without  swiping a  driver lic or a id....  that's really  why she  IDed  me  but I had  to have some fun with it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.