Author Topic: Tobin in Feb.  (Read 2410 times)

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tobin in Feb.
« on: Jan 09, 2006, 12:26 PM »
I'm planning a B-Day trip for my wife up to Tobin in mid Feb. We'll be staying at a motel in town. I promised to put her above Huge Pike as a gift  ;D. The problem is we've never fished Tobin Lake. In looking at the informative map provided by the very informative website www.nipawin.com  :clap:, it seems that Petaigan Bay may be a wise choice. Is this what is refered to as 'The Flats'? Also, Can one access the lake via the E.B Campbell Dam boat launch? Is driving safe on that area of the lake? Any advice on fish locations, patterns, lures, local bait, etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Husser.

P.S: Does anyone know if SERM has a decent depth map of the lake?

Offline SK Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Tobin in Feb.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2006, 12:47 PM »
I am looking forward to a response to some of your questions as I am heading to Tobin this coming weekend.

With respect to your question on depth contour maps, check out http://www.fishingmapsplus.com/maps.htm - most Saskatchewan lakes are listed and maps cost about $20 once you tally up all the taxes and delivery (depending where you are).

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2006, 12:49 PM »
What a nice Birthday gift Husser. :)
Pedigan bay is a good choice for big old pike. It seem thats where most of the bigger fish are caught. Average depth is 4-7 feet in that area. The ice should be safe by now but may still have some current so always check before venturing out and keep checking the thickness as you go.
There is a good map of the lake that tell some depth and bait for walleye and pike and there allowed sizes. You can find this and additional maps at most of the local motels and hotels. There is a few copies of it on other Tobin Lake topics here.
As for fishing in Feb. I am not really sure, I would ask the Nipawin SERM office for info like wise you cold contact some of the outfitters along Tobin Lake, there is quite a few of them. If you want drive on around the Campbell Dam boat launch,try contacting the owner of Thunder Rapids Lodge, which is not far from the Campbell Dam.
I hope this helps and good luck. :tipup:

WW

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2006, 01:47 PM »
overall feb is very slow although some big fish are caught throughout the winter, generally dec is the best month along with the last two weeks of the season in march, was there this weekend and it had seemd to slow down a lot since christmas time.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

NipawinFisherman

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2006, 01:11 PM »
Which hotel are you staying at? Please say the northern greens

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2006, 04:24 PM »
Which hotel are you staying at? Please say the northern greens

Why is that? I was thinking Tobin Lake Motel. Good/Bad?

Offline whitetip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2006, 07:11 AM »
Hey guys, while this past weekend when i was fishing on Codette lake there where some guys who fish tobin lake all the time came there instead.  The reason for that is, they said there was so much water on top of the ice that guys where pushing the water with there trucks.  They also said it was bumper high.  I never seen it but maybe it would be a good idea to phone up before and see if these is true.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2006, 10:32 AM »
i imagine they were talking about the resort area or maybe ward's as both these area's had a lot water and broken ice close to shore,  there was some water up at the flats but it wasn't anything a dodge couldn't handle. if you were in a ford or chevy maybe would get stuck. ;D ;D i would defintely phone ahead though
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2006, 10:44 AM »
OH NO :o    MeadowPikeman, you just opened a big can of worms!!!!!!!

Ford is great, Dodge is O.K. , GM  :cookoo:
MY NAME IS APU, HOW DO YOU DO, NOW YOU GUNNA DIE!!!!!!

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2006, 12:10 PM »
yes there are parasites and worms inside of dodges and fords...........chev's rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline pimpmypike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2006, 12:14 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap:ditto that adipose
 :bow: :bow:pray to the chevy gods  :bow: :bow:

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2006, 05:28 PM »
Don't take a Chevy on the ice.....you know what they say..."like a Rock"  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.