Author Topic: our shack  (Read 5204 times)

Offline lacey11

• IceShanty Rookie
our shack
« on: Jan 09, 2006, 01:02 AM »

the shack is 8'x12' totally insulated and tinned, also has an aluminim floor, never have to replace it

this is our diesel stove, instant heat and easy to regulate

this is the 1 end of the shack, single bench with three hole, normally only use the two outside ones

this is the other end ,bunkbeds with 3 holes in front of them, the top bunk is mostly used for extra storage. and our diesel tank is on there also.

fold down table great for cleaning fish and holding our little stove

this is how we move the girl, put the jack all in the jack pockets, slide in the hubs, and your off. by myself i can have it jacked up wheels on and attached to the hich in 15 mins it works great

just a shot of the hubs, low pro tires easier to get your hands in behind to put the pins in

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
Re: our shack
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2006, 08:49 AM »
Nice set up,like the wheel idea.I was gonna do that with mine but dont like the idea of the axle running throught the shack.Thats how it would have to be on mine.

Offline lacey11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2006, 12:40 PM »
yea it works great, we didn't run the shaft right through maybe  14 inches,on either side.with a brace for each one, it travels 30+ miles to the lake and back each year never had a prob

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2006, 02:00 PM »
Nice set-up . The wheel system is ingenious .I think I'll do something similar with my shack this summer . We plan on using our ice-shanty as another deer hunting blind on my kids farm this fall... would be much easier to tow and set-up on the edge of a field .

Offline lacey11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2006, 02:12 PM »
thanks we have thought of using it for a warming shack for deer hunting also

Offline fisher50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2006, 03:19 PM »
The wheels seem to be a big answer.  I have similar wheels to move the boat lift.  This thread is going to be a big help.  Thanks.
I enjoy that perfect peace -- that peace beyond all understanding, which comes at it's maximum, only to the man who has given up golf.

Offline lacey11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2006, 09:48 PM »
if anyone needs help on how to set up a shack like this let me know, i would be glad to help.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2006, 10:52 PM »
This is what I got,just needs wheels. ;D

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2006, 07:05 PM »
i have to admit i am a novice to the diesel hating world, does the stove smell when it burns diesel?
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

Offline lacey11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:06 PM »
not one bit, just when you spill on your pants lol.

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2006, 02:39 PM »
nice shack
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline nailbender

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Beer tastes so much better on ice
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2006, 07:25 PM »
how does the diesel stove work ? explain?
If there was no ice I would shake the dice and see if my portable sled worked as a boat

Offline lacey11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2006, 08:04 PM »
The system is gravity fed you can see our diesel tank on our top bunk with the braided line running to the back of stove. there is a ball valve  in the line to turn off and on . this regulates the fuel ie heat. the diesel drips into the bottom of the stove, when you see a bit of a puddle then you light it with some tissue paper and thats it. The stove has a baffle bout 1/3 of the way up to control the flame. Vey simple set up

This is not gasoline, disel burns slower, so much much safer, never had a problem. Again this old furnace used to heat the house my dad grew up it for years. They used heating oil, but as far as i understand diesel is the same both crude fuels This set up is pretty common on our lake thats where i got the idea from. Dad likes it hot and this system works very well

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2006, 08:36 AM »
Nice shanty Lacey - looks nice & cozy and has everything ya need!

Offline blundell

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2006, 06:49 PM »
if anyone needs help on how to set up a shack like this let me know, i would be glad to help.
Yes, i am new to the whole building an ice house thing, i was just wondering around how much a shack like that costs or if anyone else knows where i plans to build a cheap permanant that would be great...thanks

Offline TaterSalad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2006, 07:54 PM »
Awesome Digs

Offline fisher50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2006, 03:35 PM »
How about some details of the floor framing.  I'm thinking I'd like 2 X 4 floor joists, but would that be too weak if you put the hole thru for the pipe (axle)?  Gonna need 2 X 6 joists, right?  Maybe 2 X 6 for the headers, then 2 X 4 joists between?  Guess I'm asking how you built the floor.  2 X 6 puts you 5 1/2 inches above the ice.  Sounds about right.  Is the axle removable, or did you secure it to the joists?  I really like what you have.  I could pull a pretty good sized hut (maybe 6 X 8) with my Polaris 500HO Sportsman.  I'm getting excited about this. 
I enjoy that perfect peace -- that peace beyond all understanding, which comes at it's maximum, only to the man who has given up golf.

Offline alaskanate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2006, 07:11 PM »
nice shack! The way the wheels come off is cool! good job!

Offline lacey11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2006, 10:07 PM »
How about some details of the floor framing.  I'm thinking I'd like 2 X 4 floor joists, but would that be too weak if you put the hole through for the pipe (axle)?  Gonna need 2 X 6 joists, right?  Maybe 2 X 6 for the headers, then 2 X 4 joists between?  Guess I'm asking how you built the floor.  2 X 6 puts you 5 1/2 inches above the ice.  Sounds about right.  Is the axle removable, or did you secure it to the joists?  I really like what you have.  I could pull a pretty good sized hut (maybe 6 X 8) with my Polaris 500HO Sportsman.  I'm getting excited about this. 

the frame is 2"x2" steel `with three more pieces welded across the middle for the floor support @ 3', 6', and 9'. the receiver pipe (for the hubs) is about 14" and welded to the frame with a steel brace underneath it for support.  the floor is aluminum panelling i found the pieces are 1' x 12' that bolts together tight. I put the shack on 2x4's so the total height is 5 3/4's from the ice to the top of the floor. we used steel and aluminum so we didn't ever have to worry bout replacing the floor.
i have been sicker than a dog this past week and haven't been able to get back out to take more pics but hopefully this weekend i will during our hockey tourney

Offline lacey11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2006, 10:14 PM »
forgot to mention that we covered the floor with paint and sand mixture very good and cheap way of putting grip on any floor. Because it is aluminum have to touch it up maybe every two years, but the sand is free and paint stores have wrong tint pails of paint for around 5 bucks

Offline fisher50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2006, 11:21 AM »
Don't have a welder, the steel, or the knowledge required to weld.  I'm using wood framing members.  6 X 8 finished size, or there abouts.  2 X 6 for the two side pieces (skids).  2 x 4 joists perpendicular to the 2 X 6s.  Drill a hole thru both skids about 2 inches diameter for a pipe (axel) that will run the whole width of the shack.  Short axel on the wheels will slide into the ends of the pipe, and be held with a cotter pin.  Only question I have is will the hole weaken the 2 X 6 too much?  Would think the hole should be on the bottom half of the 2 X 6.  That would leave more wood (strength) above the axel, and get you more ground clearance for the haul.  Maybe I need 2 X 8s for the skids.  Skids will not be in contact with the ground when the wheels are attached, but I don't know what else to call them.

I live close to the Lake.  Would be a short trip to the shore (500'). 

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:16 PM »
I would get a shop to make you a plate that the axle will go through to bolt to the 2x6.Make it about 2 ft long so that the 2x6 is reinforced by the plate.I would also consider running 4 "skids" instead of just the 2 on the outside. Better to be safe than sorry,If it breaks ,your gonna have a disaster on your hands and alot of hard work ahead of you and  money down the drain. Every bump you hit will transfer the entire weight of the shack to that one spot.Good luck,hope this advice helps.

stump

Offline lacey11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2006, 11:47 AM »
that was what i was thinking also, a plate on either side of a 4x4 treated post bolt them together with a hole in the middle for you axle.  Another shack at our lake is 8x8, with a wooden floor and frame with the axle at the back of the shack connected to the back 4x4 with three plates bolted to it it seems to work fine for them. i put mine where i did to lessen the hitch weight but on an 8x8 it should be ok at the back. if your only going short distances

Offline fisher50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2006, 03:48 PM »
I'm hoping to haul it with a Quad, not a pick-up.  I doubt I can put that kind of weight on it.  If I have three 2 X 6 Skids, one on either side and a third down the middle, all reinforced with that steel plate, with a two inch hole thru all three for the axel, I'm good, right?  I've been thinking I want it to almost balance on the wheels, with very little tounge weight.  Slow speed behind a Quad.  I live 500 ft from the lake.  Paved road to a smoth road end access. 

Offline lacey11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2006, 04:16 PM »
the 2x6's should work, but don't get too close to center with your wheels cause chances are the shack will be heavier than the quad, hit a bit of a drift ,and you might be in the air keep them back a bit. you need a few pounds of hitch weight for the quad to have grip. The other thing is you jack pockets, i am assuming you are using that setup, if you are then they will have to be steel, but can be put on with a couple lag bolts. Also for the jack pockets the top of them should be angled about 30 degrees, just so the jack won't slip out of them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.