Author Topic: QUESTION?  (Read 3672 times)

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
QUESTION?
« on: Jan 08, 2006, 11:08 PM »
Do you think gas augers spook fish more than a hand auger? 

Offline Patch

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: QUESTION?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2006, 11:13 PM »
No.................... ........Patch
Life is a journey of experiences and companions..........EN JOY YOURS!

Offline Redneck5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2006, 11:17 PM »
I don't think so. Lastnight I drilled a hole for my tip up .It was about 5 mins from when I drilled the hole that I get the tip up in the hole. I drilled my jiggin hole about 30 feet away. 10 mins later I had a flag up  :tipup:. The knot ended comin untied when I got the pike up to the hole :%$#!: . 15 mins later I had another flag in the same hole :tipup:, it was about a 20 inch pike. I stayed about another hour and did not get a another flag.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2006, 12:05 AM »
not at all it seems like everytime  i drill a hole fish are down there off the bottom being curious about the sounds. WHen i drop my jig down they disapear and never come back lol :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2006, 10:46 AM »
I go with fishingking. I wonder too if snowmobiles really have any affect as well as  I have caught fish while some idiot drives right up to my tip up to see how it is going. :tipup:
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:21 AM »
I swear the pickerel come swimming over to the sound of augers because they know they are about to get lunch. ;)
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

PIKEGUY

« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:25 AM »
I totally feel that it depends on the body of water you're fishing. I could be wrong but I think fish are just like everything else. They get used to hearing sleds and augers on heavily fished/used bodies of water and, although they probably still don't like it, they discontinue the "stop everything" mentality when they hear something "different". Just my .02

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:30 AM »
Not any more than somebody pullin their sled across the ice. Never made a difference for us.
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:34 AM »
mostly you have to think about the species you are targeting.  As a general rule, noise of any type spooks walleyes, but can definitely attract gills, pike, and perch.  Crappies tend to be more spooky, but not as bad as walleye. 

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:41 AM »
I have a crappie lake I fish and I think the gas augers affect them.  I usaully get there before the crowds and will catch fish up until everyone fires up their gas augers then the bite goes away.   ???
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:46 AM »
I swear the pickerel come swimming over to the sound of augers because they know they are about to get lunch. ;)
I will vary much agree with that statment.  ;)

hali-man

« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:46 AM »
Yes! Some guys I fish with have power augers, and I always move if they drill close to me.

I totally feel that it depends on the body of water you're fishing.

The depth and species also make a difference.
Trout will run for the hills, especially in shallow water.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2006, 12:15 PM »
after 30+ yrs of fishin id have to say it would all depend on what kind of fishin day it was.if the bite is on hard then your auger will attract the fish.yes i said attrack fish.We once had a day when we would turn the stereo way up the trout would come in,when we turned the stereo off,the trout would leave.we did this several times in a row just to prove the point.it was also the same day when it did not matter what you had on your hook and they would bite.it was also the day when we caught the 9lber.So you see its all about the correct day.but thats just my hummble opinion

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2006, 01:12 PM »
mostly you have to think about the species you are targeting.  As a general rule, noise of any type spooks walleyes, but can definitely attract gills, pike, and perch.  Crappies tend to be more spooky, but not as bad as walleye. 
I have found yellows to be real spooky in shallow water, any fish except pike and gills.
No I do not find the auger spooking fish. Genz swears by firing up the sled and doing hot laps around the tip up spread to get fish active ??? Yellows?

" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline chilly feet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bait?
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2006, 05:37 PM »
i also have seen many times when the fishing gets
slow you fire up the auger to drill a couple holes
and bam, :tipup:. i think someone should do a study.

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2006, 06:13 PM »
One of the tactics that I have used for bluegills early in the season and in shallow bays is to drill a hole with the power auger and then lower it the whole way down and run it fullspeed to stir up the weeds and mud.. Sometimes this makes the gills come running and I can catch several before they quit hitting.
 Move about 20 yards and do it again and then make the circuit back to the old holes.Sometimes it produces sometimes not.

Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline sounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2006, 07:01 PM »
If im going to my favorite salmon lake hand auger most definately unless i  have the time to wait it out.

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2006, 07:53 PM »
 Sorry Slip it's an Eskimo which my wife and kids got me for Christmas in the early 80's. It's kind of heavy compared to today's augers but I keep it tuned and serviced and it does the job.
 As I am getting older and feeling the effects of the wear and tear on my body from working at the electrical trade for 40 years I sometimes think that I should go lighter with one of the new Swedish ones but who knows how long I'll be able to continue to do this.
 Sounds like you and I started to ice fish at about the same time and I am curious about how old you are and where you are from?
 Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?

The book of Job.

PIKEGUY

« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2006, 07:30 AM »
Check his profile. There is some demographic information in there that can be filled out by all members. If you haven't filled yours out, please do so if you wish ;)

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2006, 07:43 AM »
not at all it seems like everytime  i drill a hole fish are down there off the bottom being curious about the sounds. WHen i drop my jig down they disapear and never come back lol :)

You should ease that jig into the water so it won't make so much noise.LOL
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:05 AM »
I mostly sight fish and have seen aggressive fish spook or turn to a negative feeding
mode when the powere augers fire up.  I usually try to sneak up on fish kind of like
deer hunting.  I'll start out by trying to find an open hole before even using the hand auger.  When using the power auger to check out new territory or on thicker ice I'll
do like slipbob said an get my drilling done when I first get there and then try to be as quiet as possable pulling the trap around or dipping holes.  Less noise = more fish. IMO

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:18 AM »
never seen em spook had the cam down searching for a drop off my buddy drilled a hole about 15 ft away the gills and perch never made a move away or toward the auger didnt seem to effect them at all and we were in about 8 fow
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

PIKEGUY

« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:23 AM »
I used to get a big pond in my yard in the spring when it would freeze-thaw when we were little. My buddy (that I now icefish with) and I used to take an old spoon auger and drill a hole or 2 to "fish" in ::). Those things were a bi*ch to use. lol ;D

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:32 AM »
Check his profile. There is some demographic information in there that can be filled out by all members. If you haven't filled yours out, please do so if you wish ;)
I tried that the other nite when I found that my e-mail address was the old one and when I changed it I got into a game of computer generated run around that kept me from signing in for a day. Now I'm gunshy and don't trust going there anymore.I like talking to people and not some machine that keeps spitting out the same message over and over again.
Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?

The book of Job.

Offline icechopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2006, 10:41 AM »
No. I have drilled holes with my auger, dropped my camera down to the bottom and see all kinds of fish. The funny thing is when you drop your jig to the bottom they will sometimes take a quick look and then leave never to be seen again. Go figure

Offline Smeltecca

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never mess with another man's hole.
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2006, 03:39 PM »
     I think that power and hand augers scare or don't scare equally.  The sound of the blades carving up the ice has to be what the fish here.  Not so much the sound of the engine.
  Ice Fishermen Walk on Water!

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2006, 07:05 PM »
What smeltecca said.....A few years back In-fisherman did a test with a underwater mic, hand auger and power auger were about the same noise level, just the sound of the blades cutting the ice . A spud was way noisier
   Shark
How's the ice

Offline SENOB57

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Stop talkin and get the line back in.
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:32 PM »
Think about all the times you have been ice fishing.  How many times have you been running for the hole the furthest away from where everyone is standing around shoot'in the crap.  Bad luck or god's way of making sure you get some exercise ?  I think fish can hear activity near the hole and avoid it.

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 11, 2006, 05:15 PM »
I guess I should have been a little more specific, there is little difference between power and hand auger noise below the ice, with that being said, I do agree that noise will scare fish away ,even someone walking on the ice. I've seen it on the aqua vu many times

Shark
How's the ice

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #29 on: Jan 11, 2006, 05:30 PM »
good question

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.