Author Topic: Bob house Heater  (Read 1958 times)

Offline ice fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bob house Heater
« on: Jan 20, 2015, 02:14 PM »
What to heat ice shanty with ? Any ideas  Thank you for your help.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Bob house Heater
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2015, 02:18 PM »
Buddy heater... few different sizes to choose from.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline NHSlabbinCabin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2015, 02:39 PM »
Buddy heater... few different sizes to choose from.
X2
They have a low oxygen shutoff. Plus, you can get a hose to connect it to a 20 lb tank. Pretty sweet.

Offline shedhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2015, 04:24 PM »
x3 Great unit!!

Offline South_Texas70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2015, 04:55 PM »
x3 I have one for my Clam 6 pack and it warms it enough where I can take off my jacket and pretend I am in South Texas again! I bought a converter hose to fit on to a larger propane tank for those long days.
Tex :tipup:

Offline Hyland33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:00 PM »
Just ordered one of the Little Buddy heaters. Should be more than enough for a small shelter.
-Andrew
Newfound Circus

Offline Rando5512

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather go fishin'!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2015, 07:03 PM »
Buddy heater. They are the bomb. Super warm. No fumes. Love mine

Offline 6wheels

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2015, 07:39 PM »
Hate the buddy heaters. I've owned three of them - too damn finicky. I bought the mr heater mh15c at Dicks for just over $50 and it beats the buddy heater hands down. Its simple, lights every time, and flips on its side to use as a stove. I got a homelight chain saw case and the unit fits right in with 2 propane cylinders. You just can't beat it.

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2015, 08:30 PM »
I just turn one burner on my propane stove. More than enough heat out of that, and I didn't have to buy and carry around a heater.

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2015, 11:28 PM »
Hate the buddy heaters. I've owned three of them - too damn finicky. I bought the mr heater mh15c at Dicks for just over $50 and it beats the buddy heater hands down. Its simple, lights every time, and flips on its side to use as a stove. I got a homelight chain saw case and the unit fits right in with 2 propane cylinders. You just can't beat it.

I got a $40 one at Dick's but doesn't double as a stove. I didn't want to invest in a lot as I've already spent $250 this year. But this thing worked great last Saturday when it was like -20 in windchill in the morning. Only issue is it only heats for a couple hours, but at $3 a propane bottle It's not bad.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2015, 07:43 AM »
Portable Buddy heater hands down. I've owned them for years and use them all the time, not just for fishing. I've heated my house with it in a power outage, I will heat my trailer with it to do remote repairs to my snowmobile... the list goes on. They work flawlessly. Whatever you get, make sure to use a bulk tank. The cost difference between bulk propane and the 1lbers (which have way less than a lb of propane BTW) is like 10 time less expensive.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2015, 01:03 PM »
We use the little buddy also... works well, no complaints, goes out if tipped over by kids or dogs. Starts easy and it was not expensive.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2015, 01:58 PM »
i use the big buddy heater and the baby is great...however, very important to keep those tanks warm before using
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline CA1492

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2015, 06:41 PM »
I picked up a buddy heater for $70 at tractor supply this weekend. It heats my pop up very well.
~CA1492

Build a man a fire and he is warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2015, 06:53 PM »
Definetly Budy Heater, I hook mine to use at home when the power goes out because it blows me out of the shanty, too well insulated I guess.

Offline fisherhawk55

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2015, 07:12 PM »
I have the heater buddy the question I have is can you sleep in the hardside with it on with out dying I have gable vents at the top of my roof and a crank out window do any of you guys sleep with them going

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2015, 07:21 PM »
I have both the Lil buddy and the Big buddy.  Good heaters for hub style huts.  Buy the refill adapter to save money on propane.  Neither buddy heaters will run in my wheel house.  It is built too tight and the heater shuts off due to CO2.  The heaters caused wicked condensation as well.  I switched to a small wood stove and burn bio bricks to start then wood scraps.  Nice dry heat and no CO2 issues.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline jellyroll44

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • may your lines be tight and your woman not so much
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2015, 07:29 PM »
I got the little buddy heater, runs 6 plus hours on small tank, almost too hot in my pop up..... Only issue is the moister build up on the windows

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2015, 07:33 PM »
Buddy Heater  :tipup:      My wife got me one for X-mas, the bigger heater..I only use one side of it because it gets to hot inside my tent..I've only used the fan once to try it out. 
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Drinking lefty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:21 PM »
I just bought a mr. buddy little yesterday. I used it today it worked awesome.

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:34 PM »
I have the heater buddy the question I have is can you sleep in the hardside with it on with out dying I have gable vents at the top of my roof and a crank out window do any of you guys sleep with them going

I have many nights (75+ at least over the last few years)  in the perm shack overnights with a big buddy, or my little buddy.  used the little one to start with but on very cold days and kids going in and out, in and out, it was nice to turn the big buddy up to high for a couple min to warm them back up.  once all settled in for the night low is the setting we use, and even turn to pilot if needed.  But you still need to crack a window, open a vent something to get a little fresh air in just to be safe and have a co detector mounted down by the floor too.  Be smart use your head and you will be just fine, and good luck on your overnight fishing trip too.

Offline fisherhawk55

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:55 PM »
Thanks mrice fish the answer I was looking for ,tight lines to you my friend

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.