The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Fakes  (Read 2748 times)

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fakes
« on: Jan 20, 2015, 08:05 AM »
Ok ladies and gentlemen....we all know the saying, "I fish, therefore I lie."  Tall tales and fishing have always gone hand in hand, but that is for story telling time while having a beer with friends. I guess my rant is about the credibility of some reports on here. We all exaggerate, a 2 lbs fish is 4 lbs and so on. That's to be expected...I'm saying that I am seeing a pattern of reports that seem inconsistent. Ice thickness, location on bodies of water, and a lot more. I like stories. I like trading them and adding 3" to my fish...but I am not going to give a report just to be part of the forum. Sometimes you get reports on a lake, and you are left wondering if the person reporting has ever been there...Sorry to be a cry sac here...but I'm really sick of 10" ice reports only to find 3" of soft and sinking ice. Or off the wall reports on areas that don't exist on the lakes. Just my take. Sorry to be such a whiner.

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
Re: Fakes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2015, 08:24 AM »
Was catching 8" perch all day. There was 5" of solid ice as you can see in the pic!

Sorry, couldn't help myself!   ;D
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2015, 08:42 AM »
I think ice reports are the most critical. Honest ice reports keep people safe and might save them a wasted trip.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2015, 09:38 AM »
It's also possible on our reservoirs (with currents) and with our crazy weather (e.g. Chinook winds) that the person was correct that there was ten inches of ice where they were and you were correct that there was three inches at your spot...on the same waterbody.

While I appreciate folks posting their observations on ice conditions, I have to admit that I cringe when I see people ask if the ice is safe somewhere and someone replies "Yes." We're all responsible for determining ice thickness for our own safety and comfort level. If you want to trust someone else's judgment, that's on you.  And me.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2015, 09:45 AM »
If you don't like the reports you are free to go check for yourself.I don't give 100% credibility to any report,I check ice thickness as I go if I don't have first hand knowledge,as for fishing reports they are what they are.
Dont ask

Offline MTntv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2015, 09:47 AM »
Guess you should go find out for yourself!

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2015, 09:48 AM »
Guess you should go find out for yourself!

Yep! Don't know till u go.
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Offline mthuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2015, 09:50 AM »
For ice reports, I have a ruler on my ice scoop.  I could fish 10 different holes on some of these reservoirs and get 10 different measurements. 

2 weeks ago I scouted out a lake that had a couple fresh holes and measured 5 inches of clear under 5 of slush which was acceptable to me.  2 days later on the same exact reservoir but in a different spot about 200 yards away it was 18".

As for fish, I rarely catch anything worth noting, especially on the bigger lakes, so I usually post ice reports.  For example I've fished Clark Canyon probably 6 times this season and have yet to have more than just a bite but I'll share the ice conditions if they change.  Also, I've quit posting on forums if I do well for fish.

I should note that I'm a fat ass so if I'm on the ice most people feel safe   ;D

Offline tjstackle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2015, 10:34 AM »
I always take any ice report with a grain of salt cause of weather, water currents,etc and I always look and decide for myself  with ice I don't care if someone's says there I'd three feet I still check it   for example Monday by the afternoon the ice was a totally different thing from am  just from wind and snow and ground along the bank

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Either/or. . .
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2015, 10:52 AM »
Also, I've quit posting on forums if I do well for fish.

I feel like this is often the case (see above), so if posts on a particular lake dry up, I figure it's either not producing, or is REALLY producing.  Likewise, when a previously successful poster doesn't show up on the message board for awhile, I figure he's either catching a lot of fish or is dead. . .  :whistle:
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline tjstackle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2015, 10:57 AM »
I always take any ice report with a grain of salt cause of weather, water currents,etc and I always look and decide for myself  with ice I don't care if someone's says there I'd three feet I still check it   for example Monday by the afternoon the ice was a totally different thing from am  just from wind and snow and ground along the bank

Offline fishin7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't know unless you go!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2015, 11:24 AM »
I really have not found this to be the case on this site.  If anything I think more guys don't give a full report on the fish they catch :whistle:, which I feel is totally their prerogative.  And as far as the ice reports I really don't think anyone on here is out to get anyone in trouble by recommending them to go on unsafe ice.  These ice reports should be used as a tool not as a rule.  Just because someone reports that the ice is safe at a certain body of water I can guarantee you that I am going to check it for myself before I just go out on any lake.  I will always give the best ice report I can, but I shouldn't be held responsible if the ice conditions change or the ice is a different thickness at a different location on the lake.

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2015, 12:04 PM »
I agree with fishin7.   With the local lake I live next too I see it daily and keep an eye on it to save people a trip because it can open up in less than a day.  No, I do not go out every day and measure ice in increments and then take a Mean(average) measurement based off of a bunch of data points and say that's what the ice is.  Many times I don't have a measuring tape but have marks on my ice scoop that tell me what I am looking at.    I don't have to report on it but I figure it is somewhat helpful so someone doesn't drive 50 miles and finds open water but that's just me.  As for fishing reports, well ice fishing is unique in the fact that the guy in the hole next to you can be using the exact same thing as you, jigging the same, same depth etc., and one or the other can do much better than the other.  So, I tend to tell it the way it is and what I was using but there again that is merely my opinion.  BL and be safe

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2015, 12:57 PM »
I'm more than happy to report when I catch...JACK...SQUAT.  ;D  Which is often.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline theron86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2015, 01:36 PM »
....and I REALLY appreciate the information you supply Cutbow.  Thanks!

Offline nutinbutjiggin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2015, 03:17 PM »
Would it make sense to make ice thickness reports and fishing.... ahhh reports/stories separate topics on the website??

I think its fair to say one subject is black and white and serious as a heart attack the other subject has historically been allowed a liberal "creative" margin of error...

Kind of like having a single conversation with your wife as to when your going to get around to finishing the remodel on the bathroom you started a year ago and when you want to leave to go on that weekend fishing trip....

Does that make any sense?

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2015, 03:37 PM »
I think a big part of it is a lot of guys just guesstimate instead of actually measuring. Earlier this season I was on a lake with about 4"... as I was spudding my way out I yelled over to 3 guys "how much ice?", they said 6" so I made my way towards them just to say hello and chat for a minute before continuing on. When I got to them I noticed no where near 6" in the hole one was jigging... I said 6"? That's not 6"... He said "its gotta be at least 6"... I stuck my scoop with a tape on it in the hole and showed him what 3 1/2" looked like then suggested we stand farther apart. He couldn't believe how far off his eyes were, he thanked me and said he was bringing a tape measure next trip. While some folks are chiming in on conditions just to "fit in" some are just clueless too. Always check for yourself, be safe and good luck everyone.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Eisfischer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2015, 04:14 PM »
AMEN 800stealth.  The next question: Is everyone going out on the ice prepared for the probability of a dunking and being able to survive it?

Offline MTntv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:03 PM »
Arctic armor ice suit for me and the Mrs,no worries here.

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:12 PM »
Ice conditions on facebook are like weather forecasts in Mt.  Best guesses and generalizations. Would you risk your life based on a weather forecast? In large or deep bodies of water the main lakes cool much slower than the shallow bays.  Current areas, sun vs shade, wind, and especially snow cover all have impacts on ice thickness and strength.  One of my favorite lakes in western mt has current areas where I've been fishing on 8 inches of ice with open water 50 yds away.  ALWAYS test ice as you go, whether it be drilling your way out or using a spud bar and be prepared for the worst if it ever happens.  As far as how the fishing is I find myself leaving that out more and more.  I'm a teacher by profession so I love sharing my love for fishing, but I have regularly messed up posting about good bites not thinking about the number of people who will see it on here.  I think the PM route with folks you know is the way to go, thats where I'm headed.

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:13 PM »
sorry, ice shanty not facebook ;D

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:53 PM »
@ Fishman Teters

C'mon.....Seriously dude !? If you don't find credibility in any of the fishing reports/conditions, then why would you even waste your time looking. Exaggerated fish reports are a fact of life, but who cares. I personally could care less if fishing reports are posted. I do appreciate the fact that members are willing to share this info & I do enjoy browsing through the posts on pretty much a daily basis. Ice reports/conditions.....This is the info I'm most interested in, but it's just info to reference.....that's it !! All us hardwater guys/gals know how ice conditions can change on a day to day basis. Heck, in some places they change hourly with temps above freezing & a little wind. The weather this season has been touch n' go as far as making good ice in some parts of the state, but unfortunately for us, mother nature controls that. Heading out on the hardwater & encountering less than expected conditions is no reason to start throwing out accusations of fabricated ice reports by the members of this forum. I know a handful of the members on this forum & have fished with a couple of them. All stand up guys that I'm happy to call my friends. In the end it's our own responsibility to check conditions & stay safe on the hardwater !!

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2015, 05:05 AM »
Was catching 8" perch all day. There was 5" of solid ice as you can see in the pic!

Sorry, couldn't help myself!   ;D
Love it!!!

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2015, 05:08 AM »
@ Fishman Teters

C'mon.....Seriously dude !? If you don't find credibility in any of the fishing reports/conditions, then why would you even waste your time looking. Exaggerated fish reports are a fact of life, but who cares. I personally could care less if fishing reports are posted. I do appreciate the fact that members are willing to share this info & I do enjoy browsing through the posts on pretty much a daily basis. Ice reports/conditions.....This is the info I'm most interested in, but it's just info to reference.....that's it !! All us hardwater guys/gals know how ice conditions can change on a day to day basis. Heck, in some places they change hourly with temps above freezing & a little wind. The weather this season has been touch n' go as far as making good ice in some parts of the state, but unfortunately for us, mother nature controls that. Heading out on the hardwater & encountering less than expected conditions is no reason to start throwing out accusations of fabricated ice reports by the members of this forum. I know a handful of the members on this forum & have fished with a couple of them. All stand up guys that I'm happy to call my friends. In the end it's our own responsibility to check conditions & stay safe on the hardwater !!
Um...hahahaha....

Offline waterboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2015, 11:39 AM »
Can't see why anyone would overestimate ice thickness with the dangers that might be involved. I could see why someone might possibly say there is only 2" of ice when there is actually 6" just to keep the fishing pressure down. Could careless about the stretching the truth fish stories because fishing success changes frequently with weather etc...

Offline Houdy66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Calm and Fish On!!!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 21, 2015, 01:28 PM »
@ Fishman Teters

I totally agree! If you question the information on this site so much, then why bother being on here. Ice thickness is something nobody should ever exaggerate. I do believe that most of the time it is merely an estimate because maybe they didn't check with a tape or they just guessed when they looked in the hole. Other times, it is definitely due to the changing weather. As for the fishing reports, you can't expect everybody on here to be completely honest. I personally always post exactly how the fishing was when I went out. If it was a good day, I want others to know that the lake I was on is fishing well. On the other hand, when I have a bad day of fishing, I still report what happened. Mostly to let people know that it isn't worth the trip, and also sometimes to see if somebody has any tips to offer me. No matter who you are on this website, you can always learn something from talking to others. That's why I just wish everyone on here could just quit nagging and complaining about everybody else and get back to being helpful and civil to one another. Not trying to preach, but I've been wanting to say something like that all season. This year has been the worst for people attacking others or just being plain rude.

Rant over, let's get back to fishing!
To jig or not to jig... That is the question.

Offline MTntv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 21, 2015, 02:14 PM »
Watching a guy complain that something on the internet may not be accurate makes my day!

Offline Gundy7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 21, 2015, 02:50 PM »
I was part of an online forum in the Pacific Northwest where people intentionally posted false reports for salmon and steelhead. They would often give locations and name drop specific holes to try to move the crowds to certain spots so they could have more productive streams to them selves. Pretty sad.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 21, 2015, 04:55 PM »
I totally agree! If you question the information on this site so much, then why bother being on here. Ice thickness is something nobody should ever exaggerate. I do believe that most of the time it is merely an estimate because maybe they didn't check with a tape or they just guessed when they looked in the hole. Other times, it is definitely due to the changing weather. As for the fishing reports, you can't expect everybody on here to be completely honest. I personally always post exactly how the fishing was when I went out. If it was a good day, I want others to know that the lake I was on is fishing well. On the other hand, when I have a bad day of fishing, I still report what happened. Mostly to let people know that it isn't worth the trip, and also sometimes to see if somebody has any tips to offer me. No matter who you are on this website, you can always learn something from talking to others. That's why I just wish everyone on here could just quit nagging and complaining about everybody else and get back to being helpful and civil to one another. Not trying to preach, but I've been wanting to say something like that all season. This year has been the worst for people attacking others or just being plain rude.

It looks like people come here expecting to have everyones "secret spots" and tactics learned over years spent on the ice served up to them on a silver platter,and when that doesn't happen they get angry.Nothing beats getting out there and learning these lakes on your own,crying about the info you get on an internet forum not being accurate enough for your standards is ridiculous.

Rant over, let's get back to fishing!
Dont ask

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:04 PM »
I always find it humorist when a newbie goes out and reports unsafe ice and sketchy ice when in fact I know personally its good.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.