New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Wnybassman's Tip-Downs  (Read 8667 times)

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
Wnybassman's Tip-Downs
« on: Jan 08, 2006, 10:36 AM »
Although I have never used a tipdown before, I felt it neccesary to build a set.  I have been thinking about this for quite a while, and was very much inspired by Wizard's design that was posted last year.  Thanks Scott!

I made a couple very small modifications, and jazzed them up a bit for hopefully long term service.  All hardware is brass for corrision resistance, and wood is heavily finished as well.  They are built so they all fit into a five gallon pail easily.

One thing I need to address is the rubber band I have used for a "stopper" when the rod is in the up position.  I want to use them a little before I decide on something more permanent.

"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

hali-man

Re: Wnybassman's Tip-Downs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2006, 10:37 AM »
Sweet! Nice job, man.  :clap:
I can't wait to see them in action!

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2006, 12:06 PM »
WNYBassman,
   Nice tip-down.  They are deadly on perch and crappie.  I built a set that look similar to yours!  I added a bit of reflective tape to the tip-dons and this helps a bit when night fishing for crappie, even with a lantern you pick up the movement so much better with the reflective tape.  I think you're going to like using them!

Offline utes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2006, 12:11 PM »
very nice, probably cost alot less than the one my wife bought me for x-mas too.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2006, 12:15 PM »
That's the fun part about IceFishing...the tinkering ;D

Nice job guys,
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2006, 01:58 PM »
I want to know one thing,................. how come your work bench is so clean and orderly. if I drop someting on mine its takes a week to find it.lol.

Nice tip downs.

Shark
How's the ice

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2006, 02:00 PM »
Hey WNY, Don't forget your name and address.
How's the ice

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2006, 03:43 PM »
Now I know why every place is sold out of those little reels! ;) ;D
   They look good , The best time to use them is when it's warm out and the holes aren't freezing up.
   Take those to Cuba and you will take home a pile of crappie..... ;)2 :thumbsup:
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline fzrpilot6

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2006, 04:42 PM »
wny nice job.  i have a couple with the dowel rods and broke of 4 fish today setting the hook.  i only have 2lb. test on them, but i will be switching to 4lb.  my other tip downs have the cheap jig poles and they seem to absorb the hook sets a little better.  anyhow nice job, they look like the cadillacs of tip downs.  fzr

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2006, 04:49 PM »
You obviously take pride in your work. Super job. Can I ask where you get the reels?
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2006, 05:10 PM »
Jerry,
  I saw them at Gander in Buffalo a few weeks ago.  I have no idea of they still have them or not. 

Offline FingerLakesFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2006, 05:11 PM »
nice tip-downs.  Mine are similar.  I cut the dowel off a little past where your paint ends and I insert a broken rod in a hole that drill in the dowel..  I collect broken rods that I find disgarded during spring and summer fishing and I make tip-downs just like yours with that one minor exception.  I like the action on the rod when I set the hook.  That is the only difference.  Good luck

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2006, 05:32 PM »
Thanks IG .
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline BlindSquirrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2006, 06:10 PM »
I will add mine as well.  The next time someone is looking for Tip-Down designs, they can see several variations at one time.  ;D

First off WNYBassman, nice job.  Yours are probably the nicest looking tip-downs I have seen on this board, you obviously put some time into them. :clap:

I had a hard time deciding if I wanted to build dowel style or rod style.  I decided on rod style because I had the materials for them.  Like WNYBassman I put a "stopper" on mine as well.  Right now I only have made a pair.  If they work well and don’t need too much “fine tuning” I’ll make a set of them.  I may paint the handle ends orange as well, I like the idea.

These are basically as FingerLakesFisher descried.  Thanks to all of the members of this board that posted their designs they gave me a lot of ideas that I worked into mine.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Offline icechopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2006, 06:49 PM »
Very nice. I am inspired. After a week or so cleaning so I can find my workbench, I may just make me a couple.

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2006, 07:17 PM »
Some fine looking tip-downs up there!

My reels came from Janns Netcraft.

My next set of "rods" may be built with actual rod tips for fighting fish.  I thought about it this time, but decided not to.

My work bench is clean because my barn is less than a couple years old.  It will get there!  LOL!!

The name and address will be put on, hopefully by the weekend.

I have about 12 or 13 hours of time into building and finishing them.  I am not sure it was the cheaper way to go, but I like using things I make.

MySpace

Offline bassman79

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish on get the net!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:36 PM »
noel you shoudnt put those pictures up now youll be gettin orders for them!!! nice job they sure do look professinal!!! bassman79 ;D ;D
work is for people who dont fish!!!!!

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:40 PM »
Well, with time and materials I will build them for $72 each  :D

MySpace

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:58 PM »
I want to know one thing,................. how come your work bench is so clean and orderly. if I drop someting on mine its takes a week to find it.lol.

Nice tip downs.

Shark
X2
Good job. You will find that downs are WAY more productive than ''ups'', I know cause i never caught a fish on a tip-up :o
I don't understand what the rubber band ''stoppers'' are for? I have made quite a few tip downs and don't see the need for them?
If you make the dowels longer or the riser shorter the reel end should sit down on the base.
Or you could(which i dont like) have the rods sit level like a few i made for a friend.
Just a thought.
Nice job again, and enjoy :tipup:

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:05 PM »
I noticed by sliding the stopper (rubberband) up, the rod became more sensitive and took less/force weight to pull it down.  With the stopper down a little farther (or removed) it took more weight to pull the rod down.  That would be usefull if using a heavier jig or weight.  I would like to have an adjustable stopper eventually.

I do actually like the effect the rubberband gives though.  When the rod is up and resting on the rubberband, a breeze will make it bounce ever so slightly, giving a jigging action.

MySpace

Offline numbtoes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • numbtoes
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:15 PM »
Wow Wynbassman those are way too good looking to put on the ice. They look better than my furniture. With all the great variations here I'm glad to see Yankee ingenuity is alive and well.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:15 PM »
WNYBASSMAN,

Drill a hole through (where you have the rubber band) and put a dowel in the hole.  This will stop the rod from going down all the way. I will post a pic of mine when they are done to show you what I'm talking about.  

Offline utes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:26 PM »
If anyone is interested here is the web site for the tip down my wife got me for x-mas.www.tip-down.com. Comes with rod,base and stand . The base is the end cap which is double threaded and the four legs fold out.The pole fits inside the stand(pvc) and it extends. The cost was $35.00 with shipping . Like i said ,a little  steep in price but i must say it is VERY nice. You could fit 10 of the things in one bucket too. But I must say; I'm gonna try my hand at making a few now that a few nice I.S. guys have posted some designs. Man , from last years and this years we all have alot of nice tip downs to try and model. Thanks all and stay on top, Utes  O ya, they did'nt have their ON LINE BUYING up and running yet so my wife had to send a letter stating which color she wanted and how many along with the check or money order. It came with-in 10 days she said. i saw it x-mas day.

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:28 PM »
WNYBASSMAN,

Drill a hole through (where you have the rubber band) and put a dowel in the hole.  This will stop the rod from going down all the way. I will post a pic of mine when they are done to show you what I'm talking about.  

I think I know exactly what you are talking about, I thought about doing the same thing!  I am still shooting for adjustability though.

MySpace

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2006, 11:26 PM »
I made these last year its my third design so far and not the last I dont use tip ups or tip downs  that often jsut got the urge one night to experiment

I think my next design will have a reel that sits in the water so it doesnt freeze up

sorry this is the only pci i have uploaded at the time another member wanted to make some like mine so i tried to put some details on the pic to help out

Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #25 on: Jan 09, 2006, 07:25 AM »
Thanks for the explaination . The adjustabilitiy is a good thing,but i have a tough time with rubber bands :-[

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 09, 2006, 09:02 AM »
WNYBassman,
   Nice tip-down.  They are deadly on perch and crappie.  I built a set that look similar to yours!  I added a bit of reflective tape to the tip-dons and this helps a bit when night fishing for crappie, even with a lantern you pick up the movement so much better with the reflective tape.  I think you're going to like using them!

(Image removed from quote.)

IceGeek,

Nice rig!  Is the wine part of the set-up? ;D

Ranger :tipup:

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #27 on: Jan 09, 2006, 10:15 AM »
Been thinking of the reels, ht or some company makes 1:1 gear ratio reels that are small, Anyone ever try the reel to have a drag system???
Some nice work there gentlemen!!!!!!!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline gillchaser

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live to fish and hunt
« Reply #28 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:03 AM »
Very nice i think i will try making some this week when the weather turns warm

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #29 on: Jan 09, 2006, 09:03 PM »
BUCKSI, I have a rattle reel with a drag on it. I also have a very small 1 to 1 reel i use on one of my mico noodle rods that has a ''clicker drag''. That would work perfect because its so light.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.