Author Topic: Phone call about renting my Shack!  (Read 2589 times)

Offline Joe Dirt

• IceShanty Rookie
Phone call about renting my Shack!
« on: Jan 08, 2006, 10:17 AM »
I got a nice phone call yesterday, This guy was out fishing on Sylvan lake with his kids, just using a hand auger and plastic bags over their heads while laying on the ice when he noticed my shack not far away, he went to have a look at it and noticed my name and phone number on it, he called me and asked if I would rent it out to him for a couple hours. I was surprised anybody would call, I told him he was more than welcome to use it just keep it clean and close the door when he was done and GOOD LUCK! I hope he had a great day fishing with his kids and they enjoyed my fishing shanty!

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
Re: Phone call about renting my Shack!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2006, 10:24 AM »
Now that person is a great example of a responsible ice fisherman, actually asking permission, and not just using the shack. Too bad not everyone is as considerate as him.
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline Joe Dirt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2006, 11:11 AM »
Maybe thats why ice fishing makes me soooo dizzy!! Its the bag over my head!
If its not windy its not a bad way to keep the light out of the hole while you lay down and watch the fish. I am lucky enough to have a heated shack with pails to sit on.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2006, 11:21 AM »
Joe,

You've got ice on Sylvan? I'd be worried your shanty would be going in. Ice is going out fast from local lakes if it has not already!  :o
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2006, 02:21 PM »
Joe,
That was a mighty nice thing for you to do....I'll bet that individual appreciated using your shack as much as you appreciated his calling and asking.

Great stuff,
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2006, 05:01 PM »
Sounds like 2 considerate fishermen. Thanks for sharing. We need to hear more of things like this.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2006, 05:24 PM »
Joe, is that Sylvan Lake just west of Red Deer, Alta.?  One hell of a job on your behalf.  It is only too simple to let another icefisherman use the shack if you are not in it.  I had one out on Jackson, but have had to kick guys out of it, when they told me to go screw myself.  When I told them that the shack was mine and I would like to use it, the language was anything but pleasant.  Good thing that my large son 6'4", 240 told them that perhaps he would use all of the seating, and that room for them was not even a question.  We moved in, after firing their equipment out on the ice.  I have run across them since on different occasions, and they have been asked quite politely if they might use the shack if I was not!!!  Never a problem since.   

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2006, 10:11 PM »
Hey Mac; I read in a John Gierach book about people bringing sleeping pads used for camping and blankets on the ice. They lay on their bellies on the pads, behind the hole with the blanket over their heads. They use a spool of mono with a jig or bait, and that's it.

camo_fish

« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2006, 07:19 AM »
very nice, now there are some nice icefisherman and glad that you could have out a father and his kids.  :thumbsup: very nice.

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2006, 07:29 AM »
I guess it's best to just say yes. A buddy and I had a small shack on a remote lake, I got a call and the guy wanted to know if he could use it. I told him I wasn't the sole owner and couldn't give permission. Next time we went to the shack it had been burned to the ground.

Offline gudkatch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2006, 07:36 AM »
Hey Mac; I read in a John Gierach book about people bringing sleeping pads used for camping and blankets on the ice. They lay on their bellies on the pads, behind the hole with the blanket over their heads. They use a spool of mono with a jig or bait, and that's it.

I read that book.  Great author!!!
If a dog is man's best friend then a fish has to be man's best chum!

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2006, 07:38 AM »
What a honerable thing to do. Its nice to encourage the sport to regular people by letting them use your shelter.
BTW, the plastic bags are the poor man's aqua-view and work pretty good ;D

Offline Joe Dirt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2006, 01:35 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys, Yes the lake is Sylvan lake in central Alberta, I have told this story to my friends and they were all impressed with the guy for phoning.The guy that called also taught his kids a lesson about asking permission and respecting other peoples property, a win win for everybody.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2006, 06:44 PM »

What?????
Please explain this ritual where you live.
Thanks
Mac

Mac, I'm tellin' ya !!!    ;D

I swear sometimes I'm thinkin' you can just tell Larry the Cable Guy to just slide on down !!!
You nearly took me out of my chair on that one !!!
Thanks! So much !!!
I was having a crappy day until you got me on that one.
 ;D  :D  ;D  :D  ;D   :D  :D  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2006, 06:33 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys, Yes the lake is Sylvan lake in central Alberta, I have told this story to my friends and they were all impressed with the guy for phoning.The guy that called also taught his kids a lesson about asking permission and respecting other peoples property, a win win for everybody.

My bad. I thought this was Sylvan in Indiana USA. For some reason I got confused and thought this was in the Indiana section.

Nice to see parents are teaching their children values. My wife is a teacher and you would be surprised at how little some parents teach their children and expect the school to do it for them. If they kid has problems they try and blame it on the school too.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2006, 06:56 AM »
MAC I think I'm with you on the bag over the head thing !

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2006, 05:22 PM »
Don't know about you Mac, but I think I'll just stick with the Vexilar and wait for trying the oxygen depletion method after I dead. I'll have forever to find a fish then.
 ::)

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2006, 06:45 PM »
That was really cool of him to call, and for you to allow :)
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2006, 06:48 PM »
Both you and the fisherman who called you should be commended over and over for this!  Respect for people and their property and courteousness provided to those who are without, to me, is worth it's weight in gold and much more!  Awesome story and thanks for sharing!!!!  :clap: :clap: :clap:

-WF.

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2006, 07:14 PM »
Very refreshing to hear something like this. Good job to both of yas! That type of spirit and respect is how the world should be.

Brian

Offline icemaster_71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Time to cath the Kahuna this year!!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2006, 07:40 PM »
Ya I agree on that, it's the same way up in Wisconsin that I know of... very respectfull and trustworthy!!! You can leave your keys in your car and someone will move it for you if it needs to be moved and no worries of it getting stolen.  Now that's trust !!!  I would do the same thing if I were there.

Dont let the big one get away!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.