Author Topic: In search of Jumbo Perch??  (Read 5018 times)

Offline cbelsh

• IceShanty Rookie
In search of Jumbo Perch??
« on: Jan 07, 2006, 11:49 AM »
Has anyone had luck with catching descent sized perch this year.
Where are you catching them...

Offline cbelsh

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: In search of Jumbo Perch??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2006, 03:46 PM »
anywhere in southern Sask..

Offline fishfreek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2006, 04:12 PM »
anywhere in southern Sask..

I seems to me that jumbo perch are about as elusive this year as the 36 pounder pulled out of Tobin.  I was fishing at crooked lake in about 20-25 feet of water at the end of Dec and managed to hook into a few jumbos in the early morning hours.  We mostly caught the little guys though.  The hardest hits I felt tended to be while using perch eyes (I assume it was perch hitting, never did land any of the big hitters)

Offline cbelsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:40 PM »
Where is crooked lake?

Offline WalleyeSpoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:45 AM »
We caught some very nice ones, biggest I've seen this year at Tobin, right off the Resort's point, not a lot of fish 25 between 4 fisherman, but very good Jumbo's. 
Spoon
Has anyone had luck with catching descent sized perch this year.
Where are you catching them...
Spoon<br />Saskatchewan Lake Lover

Offline fishfreek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2006, 03:11 PM »
Where is crooked lake?

Crooked Lake is in the Qu'Appelle river system.  It's actually closer to Melville (south of melville, north of Grenfell - highway 47 & 247).  If you follow the Qu'Appelle River system starting from Last Mountain Lake, it goes in order....Pasqua Lake, Echo Lake, Mission Lake, Katepwa Lake, Crooked Lake, then Round Lake.

Offline cbelsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2006, 04:29 PM »
thanks, I think I will be at Katepwa in Sunday, so MAybe I will head over to crooked lake as well...

Offline cbelsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2006, 04:30 PM »
Were on crooked lake did you fish?

Offline fishfreek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2006, 12:22 PM »
Were on crooked lake did you fish?

Based on experience, I would have to say that the best place on Crooked Lake would be just off one of the points known as Sunset beach.  There is a provincial park located on the north side (Crooked Lake provincial park) which is right next to Sunset Beach.  If you manage to find highway 247, it will bring you along the north side of the lake and eventually lead you to the places I have mentioned.  You can't miss the good spot on the ice as there is likely a small village established there by now.  You can see the lake as you are travelling along highway 247. There were at least 15-20 shacks there a couple of weeks ago.

Offline BRINGTHEICE64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2006, 12:14 AM »
I fish Mission and Echo almost ever day if you want to hit jumbo's thier everywhere between the 2 lakes. If you want to know some spots let me know.

Offline cbelsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2006, 05:12 PM »
Please do tell, MAybe I will go To Echo or Mission tomorrow instead of Thompson

Offline BRINGTHEICE64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2006, 04:04 PM »
I was out on echo today outfront of the river mouth that seperates pasqua i kept 25 nice size perch between 9-12 inch.  That is a good spot on echo, earlier this year i was on the east end of echo in 8-10 feet of water and just hammered the jumbo's, that spot is better for first ice.  i've fished mission the most this year and have had some luck in a few different spots.  Thier are a bunch of cement slabs on the North west end of the lake and it has produced alot of jumbo's. Another good spot is on the west end out front of the river mouth.  thier is also a Bay just down the lake on the south west end were we had some good luck 2 weeks ago.  For first ice on mission we caught alot of walleye just of front of the lebret sign.  I donno i hope this helps a bit good luck on finding the jumbo's keep in mind that this time of year echo is just loaded with perch. Ne way ttyl

Offline cbelsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2006, 08:28 PM »
I was out there as well today...What vehicle do you drive, if you dont mind me asking.....

Offline cbelsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2006, 11:37 AM »
Had some luck at Katepwa, but nothing huge

Offline BRINGTHEICE64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2006, 08:32 PM »
I drive a black jimmy 4x4

teatot

« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2006, 10:22 AM »
I was out on echo today outfront of the river mouth that seperates pasqua i kept 25 nice size perch between 9-12 inch.  That is a good spot on echo, earlier this year i was on the east end of echo in 8-10 feet of water and just hammered the jumbo's, that spot is better for first ice.  i've fished mission the most this year and have had some luck in a few different spots.  Thier are a bunch of cement slabs on the North west end of the lake and it has produced alot of jumbo's. Another good spot is on the west end out front of the river mouth.  thier is also a Bay just down the lake on the south west end were we had some good luck 2 weeks ago.  For first ice on mission we caught alot of walleye just of front of the lebret sign.  I donno i hope this helps a bit good luck on finding the jumbo's keep in mind that this time of year echo is just loaded with perch. Ne way ttyl

Were you fishing directly out to the east of the open water at the west end of echo or were you to the norht or south of the open water? Or is anywhere around that area a pretty good bet? How close to the open water can a person still feel reasonably safe?

Offline BRINGTHEICE64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2006, 06:05 PM »
I was fishing on the west side of the lake by the open water.  Well teatot i'm not really gonna say how close u can get that's up for u to decide everyone has there own limitations on ice thickness.  I was on mission this year with 2-3 inchs of ice so that tells you how stupid i'm.  Ne way i wouldn't get to close they all around that area you just gotta find them.  The biggest thing is finding them if u can do that ur well on ur way.  Another thing is traffic on the lake, it's been slower l8ly because everyone and there dog is on the lake because of the nice weather. but the forcast calls for some cooler temps this week.  When i'm using my underwater camera and there is a few perch swimming around and a guy in a truck 30 yrds away goes ripping by ya, all the perch take off.  So i donno just be careful and good luck.

teatot

« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2006, 08:21 PM »
Thanks Bringtheice,will keep that in mind when and if I can ever get to echo again.Going to be going to the the Dead Sea(Last Mountain) on Saturday.Starting out around Glen Harbour and from there going who knows where?Possibly end up further up north near Collingwood,even though I hear it's been pretty dead all over including there.Will let you know next week how we made out.Later-Teatot

Offline t-tot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2006, 11:27 PM »
Echo wasn't bad last weekend, the orginal t-tot limited out in walleye in less than 1/2 an hour.

teatot

« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2006, 07:20 AM »
I'm sorry t-tot,I am brand new to this site and had no idea of another user with the same login,I apolagize.If there is a way to change my login I will because I certainly do not want to impose and be copying someone elses name.I hope the fishing is good for everyone and the weather stays clear,happy fishing-Teatot.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2006, 10:41 AM »
I'm sorry t-tot,I am brand new to this site and had no idea of another user with the same login,I apolagize.If there is a way to change my login I will because I certainly do not want to impose and be copying someone elses name.I hope the fishing is good for everyone and the weather stays clear,happy fishing-Teatot.
you are t tot and he is teapot so i dont know why you think your names are the same ??? ??? ???

Offline cbelsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2006, 02:19 PM »
Where on echo were you fishing for your walleys and what were you using for bait???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.