Author Topic: Wire leaders  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Packrat

• IceShanty Rookie
Wire leaders
« on: Jan 18, 2015, 01:36 AM »
Just wondering if everyone uses them for ice fishing and if not, have you lost fish because of not having them?

Offline kuz1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Wire leaders
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2015, 06:27 AM »
When I used to pike fish only I used wire, and switched to a heavy fluorocarbon leader. When I did I definately saw better results. Think maybe bit off once?  I use a lighter leader now and still don't get bit off much

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2015, 08:35 AM »
I mix it up wire leader and fluorocarbon for musky fishing, never noticed a difference in results for skies. Pike I'll use a 15-20 fluorocarbon leader, lakes that only have pickerel and the usual species I go down to 8lb fluorocarbon. Once in awhile Ill get bit off by a pickerel but that's it and definitely get more action from pike, pickerel, bass, walleyes, trout, perch etc using thr fluorocarbon leaders

Offline oldman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2015, 08:48 AM »
Fluorocarbon is the was to go Packrat.  I know that you're pickerel fishing so 15# - 20# should be good.  Of course you also have to remember to let fish have line when they run and slide, not lift them out of the hole.  There are a couple of knots for connecting leaders and hooks that I suggest.  For making the connection to your main line it's the Albright and for hooks, tie your own snell.  Directions for both can be found online.  Tight lines, hope to see you out there soon.
"Izaak believed that fish could hear; if they can, then their vocabulary must be full of strange oaths, for all anglers are not patient men." --Izaak Walton, The Compleat Angler

Offline Chrisper4694

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2015, 07:25 PM »
I've had good results with straight ( not off set) circle hooks.  You can use light line and get the fish hooked in the corner of the mouth most of the time so the line stays away from the teeth.  If I have to use a tooth proof leader ice or open water I go with light knot2kinky tieable wire.

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2015, 08:17 AM »
Theres only 1 place I still use wire and thats because all thats in there is huge picks and there is fallen trees and stumps everywhere to so the wire gives a bit more give if they rub up against something. All my pike and musky tip-ups are rigged with fluro. I personally haven't noticed any difference in the number of flags vs when I ran wire but atleast I don't have to worry about the leader getting all bent up like I did with wire
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline Packrat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2015, 09:16 PM »
Thanks for above responses. I've been missing more than I've been landing lately. I'll try switching from the wire leader to the fluorocarbon.

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2015, 07:46 PM »
Missing fish, that has nothing to do with leaders, of you are missing fish you gotta change the hooks or how long and how you set the hook when getting a flag. Always gonna miss fish or have fish drop before you get there no matter what leader you use.

Offline oldman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2015, 08:45 PM »
I switched to I Fish Pro tip ups last year, you use a rod and reel, and I'm missing very few fish.  It's much more effective than hand lining.  But I'm sure different hooks would help too.
"Izaak believed that fish could hear; if they can, then their vocabulary must be full of strange oaths, for all anglers are not patient men." --Izaak Walton, The Compleat Angler

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2015, 11:30 AM »
Thanks for above responses. I've been missing more than I've been landing lately. I'll try switching from the wire leader to the fluorocarbon.
What kind of wire leader are you using? I've been using toothy critter or some other kind of tieable wire leader for several years now and haven't had a problem with losing a fish due to being bitten off.
:icefish:

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:16 AM »
i use 25-20 pound test mono..no break offs on northerns with minnow has better action  with mono my opinion and i believe pike see  the steel leader in clear water

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2015, 01:13 PM »
I use 80lb floro for pike and muskie. I've been broken off a handfull of times but I noticed more flags since I switched from steel. Braid is the worst possible leader material for toothy critters because it has the worst abrasion resistance. Mono is the 2nd worst because it's much softer than floro. It's a bad idea to use braid or mono, and with floro if you fish anything less than 50 or 60lb high quality leader material you are asking for trouble.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.