Author Topic: 1980s tech.  (Read 2335 times)

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
1980s tech.
« on: Jan 05, 2006, 06:32 PM »
I started icefishing in 1988 with a slip bobber and was having a riot, and searched all over for something nobody had or would think of using because it was 1960s tech.,old and outdated. I found one the next year(march) set it up in a blue box(like the ones you see today) and was a fishing terror. I had guys ask me ''whats that'' and ''your cheating''. I said '' you guys have high tech lcd , graphs  and tvs on your boat, why cant i use a lousy $140 flasher''.
Anyways this guy here gave me the idea and now it seems everbody is useing this 80s technoligy.
Cooooooooooooool huh?http://www.davegenz.com/

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
Re: 1980s tech.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2006, 07:00 PM »
slipbob, i hear ya. Mine is a fl-8 hondex, but sitex started it all with the 3 color thing.
There is still a few guys using the sitex, green box and hummingbird 60s.
Cool ;D
They all work the same and do a real good job.

Offline LoaderGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Boats Afloat , Shores Ashore
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2006, 07:31 PM »
Heck , it was 6 or 7 years ago when I made up a wooden box for my LCD and a battery! Other fishermen would come over and look like they were cavemen seeing fire for the first time. Can't seem to fish without one now.

Steve
GET JIGGIE WITH IT !

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:34 PM »
3 colors?  I have a single color Shakespeare kicking around that runs on lantern batteries.  As soon as I can find a glue to get the clear screen to stick back to the green box of the unit, I want to bring it out, and see how it looks alongside my Vex.
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2006, 04:01 AM »
Chucker...
Go to the hardware store and get a roll of double backed (sticky on both sides) outdoor carpet tape. I use it all of the time and it works great.
 For those guys that need a way to repair or patch  the plastic tarps on your sleds, this is the ticket.
 I also had a "green Box" that I paid $50.00 for brand new. I used it for years on the boat and then when I got the ice fishing bug it was fun to see guys gather around and watch you catch fish and want to know where do they sell these things?
 Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2006, 11:19 AM »
Wnader around like a caveman for years, listening to poor advice and three week old hot bites, No I use electronice to find and catch em.
How did we survive back then, have no sat on a bucket too much lately!!!!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline windmill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2006, 11:38 AM »
  Hey slipbob, I've sometimes wondered how people decide on a name for this site. I can recall in the 80's, I use to fish with a guy from Crown Point, and he was also using a hummingbird flasher unit while ice fishing. On one occasion, he went back to his car to warm up a spell. I was jigging not too far from a couple of his tip ups when I heard this clanking sound. As it turned out, the tipup was bouncing on the ice. I started hauling the line in, and on the other end was an 11 lb Northern. He came running out on the ice and saie I look like a windmill, I was bringing the fish in at a rapid rate with both arms. Anyways, some good memories. It does basically seem the same tool, but a different application.

Offline gillwacker1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2006, 12:39 PM »
Hey Crappieloo...Thanks for the link to Dave Genz...I just got off the phone with Dave...What a great guy...I ordered his video and book on bluegills.....While talking to Dave, he got to telling me that plastic baits are the thing of the future for catching bluegills...Who'd a thunk?...Says he's spending a lot of time fishing them and having really good success..Also said the Lindy "Munchies" are at this time his favorite.....Pretty darn cool...Apparently there are a lot of folks going the same direction (and winning tournments)...Once again THANK YOU....

As to ancient electronics, it's good to see that I'm not the only one here old enough to remember using the old "green box" with the dry cell batteries....I pretty sure it was 1986 when I bought my first Sitex FL5 to upgrade our winter fishing....It was the coolest video game goin at the time (except to play ya had to be out in the cold LOL)...For all the things that have improved relating to ice fishing, it still amazes me that the Sitex technology still hasn't changed all that much..Funny how some things just can't be improved on...I remember the comments I used to get (back in the day) about how it was an "unfair" advantage...LOL...(Unfair because most were to cheap to put out $199 for a Sitex)...Looks like a lot more people have decided that using an "unfair advantage" tastes better at the end of the day...

Can ya imagine going fishing without a 3 color flasher?...

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2006, 07:20 PM »
Hey Crappieloo...Thanks for the link to Dave Genz...I just got off the phone with Dave...What a great guy...I ordered his video and book on bluegills.....While talking to Dave, he got to telling me that plastic baits are the thing of the future for catching bluegills...Who'd a thunk?...Says he's spending a lot of time fishing them and having really good success..Also said the Lindy "Munchies" are at this time his favorite.....Pretty darn cool...Apparently there are a lot of folks going the same direction (and winning tournments)...Once again THANK YOU....

As to ancient electronics, it's good to see that I'm not the only one here old enough to remember using the old "green box" with the dry cell batteries....I pretty sure it was 1986 when I bought my first Sitex FL5 to upgrade our winter fishing....It was the coolest video game goin at the time (except to play ya had to be out in the cold LOL)...For all the things that have improved relating to ice fishing, it still amazes me that the Sitex technology still hasn't changed all that much..Funny how some things just can't be improved on...I remember the comments I used to get (back in the day) about how it was an "unfair" advantage...LOL...(Unfair because most were to cheap to put out $199 for a Sitex)...Looks like a lot more people have decided that using an "unfair advantage" tastes better at the end of the day...

Can ya imagine going fishing without a 3 color flasher?...

Sorry i had to quote you but the post just made my day. Theres not too much more that i can say, But..........
My neighbor still uses a old($99 new) 1 color flasher for DEEP water perch and walleyes and it works perfect. Must be 20 years old or older.
I just found the New Genz site and havnt had the time to check it out to much yet.
Dave is constantly impoveing the sport with the stuff he does, and I know when he goes out he moves around alot looking for active fish. Thats why he started making portable shelters.
gillwacker1, your right about the plastics. I'm going to use them this year, soon.
Tight lines
Crappieloo :tipup:

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2006, 08:11 PM »
Besides buying an older flasher on ebay, where would a person get one, i have been searching for a few months at garage sales and estate sales but no luck.  I don't want a vexlar, just something to tell me depth and if something is down there, it would at least get me off of fishing dead holes.  Thanks for any advice.
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2006, 09:03 PM »
NorthwoodsIce, I hear ya. It doesnt make sense to me to spend $150 to $4OO??? Dollers for a ............. flasher?
I may have to replace mine soon cause its around 18 years old or older.
I'm working on it and i'll try to get some info.
Its a shame they just don't offer just the unit! They have ''packs'' which we dont want.
For almost nothing a box can be made and my last battery (interstate 14amp was about $32) is about 8 years old. I just think their making a lot of bucks for such a simple thing.

I'm working on it.
Crappieloo

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2006, 05:20 AM »
Besides buying an older flasher on ebay, where would a person get one, i have been searching for a few months at garage sales and estate sales but no luck.  I don't want a vexlar, just something to tell me depth and if something is down there, it would at least get me off of fishing dead holes.  Thanks for any advice.

I got my greenbox at a yard sale about 15 years ago - cost me $20.
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2006, 10:31 AM »
I got two from my father-in-laws estate.  Only one had a transducer :'(  Question - has anyone hooked this up to a gell cell 12V or do still use the old 6V in line.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.