The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: baiting hooks  (Read 948 times)

Offline westonp

• IceShanty Rookie
baiting hooks
« on: Jan 14, 2015, 03:55 AM »
Anyone have any interesting tricks for baiting hooks without taking your gloves off?

Offline Wayne_DeWayne

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: baiting hooks
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:54 AM »
When I was bucket fishing a lot, I would bust out the hemostats and use them to hold the bait. That helped some.
"Outdoor Life!!!"

Offline boatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2015, 07:41 AM »
Small bait net and man up. :thumbsup:

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2015, 07:48 AM »
Gloves on gloves off that tells me the fish are biting , To keep hands warm get a shanty and heater

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:05 AM »
Go plastic ;)

Offline Schlegs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2015, 05:30 PM »
Wear rag wool fingerless gloves and use a hand muff with a heat pack inside to warm up your fingertips after baiting and cleaning your fingers. Have a spare pair if they get too wet after hopefully catching dozens of fish.

Offline coldfeetbigfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:45 PM »
take your kids fishing

Offline davedpa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2015, 07:04 PM »
I echo the thought about using fingerless wool gloves when dexterity is needed.  I also keep a few cheap pairs of cotton running gloves in my gear bag so I can have dry ones if I need.

Offline Susky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2015, 07:22 PM »
Along with the fingerless gloves, keep a towel with you to dry your fingers when they get wet taking fish off.  You can also try putting hand warmers in your gloves on the TOP of your hand.  This warms the blood flowing to your fingers.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2015, 05:52 AM »
Gloves where the mitten top folds back on a magnet, fishing is slow pull the mitten over your fingers, if the action heats up, I bare bones it and love every minute of it. Cold fingers or not.  I like the hemosat idea to hold the hook, then you only need one exposed hand when using minny's.  I would think a pair of neoprene gloves with the fingertips cut off would work well too, my chest waders have a small leak but the neoprene is so tight to the skin that it warms any water inside up to body temp.  If just the tips of you fingers where exposed, the warmth of the rest of your hand should keep the blood flowing.  The other day, action was fast, I went all day with no gloves, the holes would freeze over in less than a minute. It was 8f most of the day, but the ice was shady so I just sat on my bucket and ate it......I had no idea my fingertips would hurt days later from it.  Oops :-\

Offline bent rod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2015, 11:21 AM »
I bumped into a **censored** on the ice one day and he said he uses friction to keep his hands warm.

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2015, 11:30 AM »
About 16 years ago, my wife and I made a long-term investment in just such an item that would bait hooks for me on my future ice fishing trips.  Works like a charm now.  I never need to bait my own hooks or tip ups, no matter how cold the conditions.  I nicknamed that particular gadget "son".    ;D

Offline westonp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2015, 04:30 AM »
It will be a little while yet till I make that particular investment and quite a while for benifits like that to kick in haha. I have extremely poor circulation to my hands making keeping my fingers warm the seemingly impossible task. Wish I got more from my dad on that aspect. He can be out hanging Christmas lights holding a metal ladder at 20 and his hands never get cold.... mom on the other hand [no pun intended] her hands like mine are cold as ice if it's below 50

Offline macgyer_89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2015, 01:21 PM »
Another option I did not see posted, try a light pair of neoprene gloves,  especially if your baiting up set of tip ups all at one time.  Makes for a good dry start for the day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.