New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Big Pond Ice?  (Read 1881 times)

Offline settlepa

• Team IceShanty Regular
Big Pond Ice?
« on: Jan 05, 2006, 04:58 PM »
Thinking about going up to Big Pond Tomarrow, any idea how the ice is now up there?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Big Pond Ice?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2006, 06:29 PM »
Wish I had an answer too. Thinking the same thoughts for an afternoon trip but might need a long plank to get on the ice.
If you do go, be sure to have rubber boots as I am almost certain the ice has a top coat of slush.
Be careful on the shoreline as it was weak on monday and can't possibly be any better now.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline settlepa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:10 PM »
Bump.  Anyone else been up there recently?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2006, 04:36 PM »
Guess you answered your own question! Nice to see you up there and the ice was fine but it sure did get cold last night after you left. Got one nice brown and really enjoyed seeing your buddy spank you with those three beauties. ;D
Tom was watching his aqua view and he keept shouting, "here they come" and a flag would pop.
Excellent night but it was 12 degrees when I left at midnight and the wind was wipping at about 20 MPH. Really tough picking up.
See ya agin soon.
Gary

Offline JNEMETH

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2006, 03:31 PM »
Hey Gamalot,
  Do they bite after dark on Big Pond ? Do you need to fish higher up towards the ice after dark ? Does lighting up the hole with some type of light make a difference ? I was there on Tuesday during daylight and did nothing. When I was leaving there was lots of slush and water on the ice. I hope the edges hold,I need to get out again.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2006, 04:28 PM »
You had to have walked right past me in the two man Blue trap guide shanty!
I only fished until noon because it was dead!
They do bite at night------ when they bite at all!
That place can be totally boreing but it does give up a nice trout now and then.
I never tried lighting the holes but I have considered TNT a few times, commonly refered to as DUPONT SPINNERS!

I think the ice should hold because it is about the coldest and most desolate spot around these parts. Even tuesday it was 12 degrees colder there then by my home near Monticello.

Try any and all techniques you can toss at them. I keep a couple up close to the ice and a couple down a ways but rarely ever go deeper then 12 feet down or over 20 FOW.
Some guys get them while jigging while others get them on bait and tip ups.
I really believe this pond would give Babe Winkelman or Dave Genz a run for their money and a hard way to go. I have been there when the fish got into a feeding freenzy and this is why I keep going back.

Enjoy.
Gary

Offline JNEMETH

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2006, 08:41 AM »
Gamalot,
 Yes, that was me with the red sled accidentally dumping my gear. Not a single bite for me. Next time I see you out there I'll stop by to say hello.
   Joe

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2006, 09:01 AM »
Figured it was you!
We had one flag with a dink rainbow just before you got there and nothing else.

This weather will be keeping me home now until we get some serious cold.

If you do get up there, be sure to post conditions.

Gary

Offline settlepa

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Big Pond
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2006, 09:05 AM »
Was also dead yesterday 1/11 went for about 5 hrs. and had no flags and left just before the rain came pooring down.

Offline watkin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2006, 01:25 PM »
was thinking about going up there on Saturday. was going to try something different this time. im going to get there and fish at about 2:00pm to whenever.maybe with this full moon and this cold front coming in the browns will turn on. was wondering what the ice condition was like. do i need to bring a plank to get on?    tight lines

Offline settlepa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2006, 07:07 AM »
Big Pond is hit or miss its not a all day action place but a chance to get some nice fish.  If you want action go for panfish, if you have patience go to Big Pond.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.