Author Topic: fishing tomorrow  (Read 1332 times)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
fishing tomorrow
« on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:10 PM »
I have every weds off I hate to miss a day on the ice even if its going to be -4 in am. I plan on cutting line on any fish I catch so it doesn't freeze if I remove it from water. I was going to jig but I don't want to have to cut off a jig. Is this wise? What do others do when its this cold? I don't have a shack and I'm limited to fish until about noon. Any thoughts? I'm a catch and release kinda guy. I don't want to kill fish for no reason.
Salmonemia

BrookieSlayer99

Re: fishing tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:22 PM »
I fish in a shack so usually is is warm when I pull a fish out of the hole. Otherwise, unless the fish is pic worthy then I will send it right back.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:24 PM »
Agreed. Since it'll be so cold in am I plan on not removing any fish from water so no pics will be taken.
Salmonemia

Offline fisherhawk55

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2015, 09:21 PM »
Good luck Wayne go get em kudos for catch and release although I keep trout for the pan on occasion cookie cutter stockies ,the bigger ones I would release in the deeper lakes  Unless it was wounded -5 in the am I think even piss would freeze before it hit the ground I'll be out in the am local I wish my Hardside was out brrrrr!

Offline NHSlabbinCabin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2015, 04:23 AM »
I wear disposable nitrile gloves. That way I can put my hand in the water without getting my skin wet. It's awkward at first to hold a fish while it's in the hole but on these real cold days it's what I try to do. Or I hold the gill plates closed and pull the hook real quick.

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2015, 05:20 AM »
Quote from: -5 in the am I think even piss would freeze before it hit the ground I'll be out in the am local I wish my Hardside was out brrrrr!
[/quote
Need to keep anti freeze level up and you won`t have that problem ;D

Offline troutman97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:13 AM »
Salmonemia,
You still having luck with the salmon eggs over crawler combo?

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:25 AM »
when I know there will be a lot of fish I plan on releasing and the temps are such that they cant be removed from the hole..  ... I use circle hooks, a boga grip and long forceps... the combo keeps me from removing fish and I rarely have to cut a line...I catch a lot of incidental smallies where I fish and that is just the ticket to keep me from retying hooks and freezing gills and eyes..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:45 AM »
I think if you are jigging and have some long forceps you will be able to get at the hook. I have no problem cutting the line. A few times I have recaught the fish a few minutes later. If they are bleeding take them home. Good luck out there Wayne.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2015, 07:06 AM »
Def cold out here. Middle of lake is still open I'm guessing by all the steam coming off the lake. Be careful out there. This cold is deceiving still lots of unsafe areas.
Salmonemia

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:44 AM »
2 female bows so far 16 inches each. Its a cold one out here.
Salmonemia

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2015, 11:56 AM »
Atta boy, Wayne.  :)
Way to tough it out...

Offline fisherhawk55

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2015, 04:01 PM »
Nice job Wayne

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2015, 05:04 PM »
  Nice job getting out on a chilly day. I watched the weather and worked today and are fishing tomorrow.
John

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:59 PM »
Good luck out there. It will be a better day temp wise tomorrow.  :tipup:
Salmonemia

Offline nhdeadhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2015, 07:07 PM »
Damn man kudos to you for being out there this morning, it was rediculously cold out. Good to hear ya got into some bows

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2015, 07:20 PM »
Yes it was -7 when I got onto the ice but there was no wind. I could feel the cold slowly creeping through both jackets. My hands and feet were toasty though. Eventually the sun finally poked out and it started to warm up. 13 degrees felt pretty good. Unfortunately the bite turned off once the sun popped through.
Salmonemia

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:58 PM »
good to hear , i like battling the elements

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:02 PM »
  Nice job getting out on a chilly day. I watched the weather and worked today and are fishing tomorrow.

How did you do?  I posted on the Indy board again this week with no responses this time.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:11 PM »
Hi Nosaj, I did well I had 4 flags, 2 bows were caught. Not sure if the ? was for me or old cave man. I dont know what the indy board is....?
Salmonemia

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2015, 02:06 PM »
It was for Caveman.  I was poking the Indy board when the Pats played the Colts earlier in the season and gave them another poke however this time no one would bite.

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2015, 05:05 PM »
How did you do?  I posted on the Indy board again this week with no responses this time.

Fished with one of my golf buddies who hadn't ice fished in 30 years. We fished a small lake in Kingston that we had to ourselves. It snowed lightly most of the day with zero wind. The flags were non stop, mostly pickerel with some yellow perch & pickerel also. Great day, as we were leaving my buddy asked when we could go again he had a blast.

Going over to the Indiana board shortly to see if anyone's biting.
John

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.