Author Topic: Leech Lake fillet knife  (Read 1067 times)

Offline takemboys3

• IceShanty Rookie
Leech Lake fillet knife
« on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:01 PM »
For who ever has one id like to here what they think of it. Thinkin on getting one but kind of pricey

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Leech Lake fillet knife
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:11 PM »
Here is some reading. I know a few people personally that have nothing good to say about them. I myself have never used one.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=291846.msg3058799#msg3058799

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=228261.msg2289014#msg2289014

WS

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:24 PM »
I have one. Top of the line!

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:35 PM »
I have one, but I still grab my Rapala. They are beautiful  but really dangerous with 2 cutting edges. Any fillet knife that is sharp will work if you know how to use it. If you can't fillet with a cheap sharp knife you won't be any better with an expensive knife. The one thing I did buy that really improved my filleting was a Sharp Works knife sharpener. I can't believe how fast it sharpens knives and how sharp they get. I've got 8 or 9 fillet knives that have ended up in the drawer over the years that are all like brand new now.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:41 PM »
For who ever has one id like to here what they think of it. Thinkin on getting one but kind of pricey

I have had one for many years.  I never got used to using the sharpened back edge.  After nicking myself on that back edge several times I finally rounded it over like the rest of the back edge.  As far as the front edge, it holds an edge well, has decent flex, and is generally a good knife.  I have other less expensive knives that I like just as well.  One of my favorites is a "Rada" brand knife that retails for around 25-30 dollars.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2015, 07:00 PM »
You DO need to learn how to use it.

Or lose a fingertip ::)

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2015, 07:32 PM »
Best knife I've used to date & not hard to keep razor sharp.  ;)

Offline Iceboy89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2015, 07:45 PM »
I love my cutco

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2015, 10:42 PM »
I dug out an old rapala with a serrated back, sharpened it up real well and used it today... lets just say thank God it was serrated or I wouldnt have a thumb right now. Takes some getting used to for sure. Using the serrations to make the first cut seemed to work very well.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.