Author Topic: Slow fishing tips  (Read 69211 times)

Offline slenderspoon

• IceShanty Rookie
Slow fishing tips
« on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:47 AM »
Hey group. I'm assuming I'm speaking for a few members on this site that are experiencing a very slow bite this year. Just looking for some tips to try break this slow bite. I've tried using plastics and minnows at the same time on small jigging spoons. Doesn't matter if I dead stick it or jig aggressively I can't get many bites. I mark fish on the sonar a lot but they sit and look at the hook and after a few mins they slowly leave. I am fishing in east central sk. Just wondering if anyone has found a method to break this trend.

Offline BigJumb

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Slow fishing tips
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2015, 09:16 AM »
Its always slow in January and February for some fish. I tend to go with dead sticking with small presentation . But with this warm up coming we could get a good bite again by the end of the week. The water is really cold and the fish just don't feed as much. Fish don't need to eat much when the water is so cold. And I sure hope we get a March this year. That's always the best ice fishing month for me.

Offline dyckee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2015, 12:00 PM »
Im down in the southeast and we havent had slow days yet the only time we see a decrease in the amount of fish caught is between morning and evening bite and it isnt much.  this past weekend my buddy and i were havin some trouble on the morning bite the didnt want a single spoon no matter the size or the pattern.  we switched it up to a custom jigs and spins diamond jig and a gill pill and the walleyes loved it they couldnt get enough.  that might help for ya . good luck  jig on
bad day of fishin is better than a good day at work

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2015, 01:36 PM »
January is usually the slowest around here, get some good days but generally more slow ones. I downsize my jigging lures and alot lighter/minimal jigging. Come early-mid feb fishing usually picks up and more aggressive fishing seems to work better.

Offline saskarcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2015, 04:05 PM »
seems most of the lakes north of Saskatoon are slow this year.  Usually not this slow in past years.  Lots of fish just not biting

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:12 PM »
 this time of year downsize, lighter line, ditch the snap swivels, slow down the jigging.  as guys have said january is comparable to july as far as fishing quality goes so you might have to work for em.  just makes march madness all the sweeter!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.