Author Topic: How can I use my drill on my auger?  (Read 774 times)

Offline 10point

• Team IceShanty Regular
How can I use my drill on my auger?
« on: Jan 12, 2015, 08:54 PM »
I have a 5 inch strikemaster mora auger and a DeWalt 20 volt drill. What do I need to hook my drill up to it?

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
Re: How can I use my drill on my auger?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:03 PM »
An adapter that includes round plate so if the drill becomes 'unchucked' you don't lose it down the hole.  Not all drills will do the job as well as others.  I have seen a few on the ice already this year trying to use drills that have so little torque or power they barely turn the auger.

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:15 PM »
I used this type of adapter for my 7in Mora and made a lanyard from my auger to the drill handle.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eskimo-Ice-Auger-Adapter-for-Cordless-Drill-Ice-Fishing-/180595708863?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0c57d3bf
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline noych

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:27 PM »
I bought this last year. I have a 5" lazer and have it matesdto a milwaukee 18v. Beats cutting ice by band, especially last year when it was 18"!

http://www.amazon.com/Ice-Auger-Cordless-Adapter-Fishing/dp/B004C75G2O

Offline goathead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:31 PM »
I bought an adapter for my 1/2 drill on ebay. look under ice fishing. came with the plate and a cord that wraps around the drill. nice piece. I agree you need a good drill. I bought a hitachi 19 or 20 volt drill last year and it worked for two trips and then started slipping. Took it back and got a refund. This year I saw a Dewalt 18 volt with 2 batt. and charger on sale for 109.00 at lowes. This drill cuts like butter. I have it hooked up to a 6" mora. Drill makes all the difference. And good blades.   Manny

Offline angolajones

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:36 PM »
Kits are sold at many bait stores.  They are a must because there is a good chance the chuck will come loose and your auger will fall.  If you don't have the adapter with the piece that keeps it from falling in the hole, you are in bad shape.  I use a Milwaukee 18 volt lithium battery with a five inch lazer and can cut as many holes as I need each day with two batteries.

Good luck.

Offline bendix.iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2015, 04:28 AM »
I had cut one of my old augers and welded a piece of hex steel inside of it.  And also I welded a bearing with a couple of rods just bigger than the diameter of the blade so it won't escape down the hole if it becomes unchucked.  The bearing allows the rods to spin freely if you happen to get close and it catches your leg it will stop rather than cut you up.  Cost nothing or very little if you have access to welder very quick and easy to make up your own adapter.  Also had it powdercoated gotta love government projects! 

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2015, 05:48 AM »
Whichever one you go withmake sure you use a plate with it so your auger doesn't see the bottom of the lake. I have the HT one
Fish on!

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:57 AM »
You can Def pick up some inexpensive kits. I bought one on clearance at Meijer for like 10 bucks last year. Biggest thing is to keep your batteries warm. I keep them in my pack with a few handwarmers. You will get more holes this way for sure. Be prepared too for all your buddies to stop hand drilling holes and wait for you to pop holes for them...ha. good luck
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline denhar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2015, 07:37 AM »
ALLWAYS bring you old handle. could save the day

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.