The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: TRASH  (Read 1774 times)

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
TRASH
« on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:20 AM »
How many of you have ventured out on the hardwater & found trash left where others have fished ??

I came across this Friday afternoon while fishing. I could see where there had been a small shack set up. I walked over there wondering if I might find some evidence that some fish had been iced. What I found was a bunch of empty candy bar wrappers & some sort of white tissue type paper. Not a welcome sight at such a beautiful place & it's not the first time I've witnessed this up there. Nothing I hate more than a litterbug. Heck, it's now Monday morning & I'm still stewing about it - LOL. Frickin' irks me to no end !!

Offline elksecutioner

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: TRASH
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:24 AM »
I've always seen the ice fishing crowd to be pretty clean.  Haven't come across much trash.

Offline 207 in the 406

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2015, 10:08 AM »
I'm with ya, Spitz. I can't stand it when folks can't be bothered to pick up their garbage. Pack it in, pack it out; leave no trace (ice holes and boot prints OK)!

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2015, 10:15 AM »
Ive seen piles of beer cans,scum bags don't want to take their emptys incase they get pulled over on the way home.
Dont ask

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2015, 10:32 AM »
The worst,not on ice, has to be the "boat float" each summer on the Yellowstone. Those trying fish right after they go through have bags and bags of cans and bottles to pick up. One little mud beach had three big trash bags worth of beer cans, food packets like hot dog bun packing and candy wrappers. The stuff they do haul out ends up piled up next to outhouses at Pelican and Reed Point for the coons to rumage.  Year after year...more and more. >:(

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2015, 02:38 PM »
Year after year...more and more. >:(

Amazing, isn't it? I agree that it's getting worse and worse.  It blows my mind how effin lazy and thoughtless some folks are. 
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2015, 02:43 PM »
Another benefit of the internet >:(

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2015, 04:03 PM »
Not only do these guys piss off responsible sportsmen and ruin the enviroment. They also piss off landowners and get public access shut down. I know it has ruined some block management areas. Leave trash around a landowners land and be disrespectful and access stops. 

Some people are real idiots!!!

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2015, 04:31 PM »
Amazing, isn't it? I agree that it's getting worse and worse.  It blows my mind how effin lazy and thoughtless some folks are.

And the women on the boat float that insist on flashing everyone are getting heavier and heavier and nastier and nastier.

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2015, 04:40 PM »
Lmao....  Prob are the good lookin ones that flashed 10 years ago

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2015, 04:41 PM »
Probably the mothers of the ones that were good looking 10 years ago.
Dont ask

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2015, 04:49 PM »
Found probably 50 cigarette butts froze into the ice. I wonder how many fish those will kill come spring?

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2015, 04:55 PM »
Not only do these guys piss off responsible sportsmen and ruin the enviroment. They also piss off landowners and get public access shut down. I know it has ruined some block management areas. Leave trash around a landowners land and be disrespectful and access stops. 

Some people are real idiots!!!

As a mod I read almost every board on here. Lots of threads this year talking about loss of access to different lakes because of trash left behind.  Bring an extra garbage bag take out more than you carry in.

Take the Pledge!
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:07 PM »
We do pick up the boat float cans and bottles, but won't get close to the women thanks.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:11 PM »
I agree with Wenger that the boat and beach crowd is a big part of it at least on the waters around Helena, but the really discouraging thing is to see piles of spent shells, wads of fishing line, fileted carp carcasses, big game and waterfowl carcasses...just to name a few examples...dumped in the parking areas at our Wildlife Management areas and Fishing Access sites.  I can't imagine ever thinking it would be okay to do that.  Shame on us if we don't get a handle on this.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:12 PM »
Another benefit of the internet >:(

For sure MF !!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:20 PM »
I been picking up trash I've encountered since the '50's, even when I'm with others, I say "STOP".

Some folks even learn to respect the outdoors, when they observe this happening.    ;)2

My policy:                I AM PREPARED TO PICK UP TRASH

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:25 PM »
Filleted carp? :o
Dont ask

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:27 PM »
I can't even begin to count the number of shotgun shell empties I have picked up waterfowl hunting, especially at Freezeout and along the Missouri. Pockets and bags full every trip. Don't get me wrong, I eject a few that I don't pick up but I try to make up for it. Another thing that's getting bad is the target practice trash....shot up glass, propane tanks, signs, bowling balls, etc. If folks picked up just half of their stuff, we would be making progress. On the cigarette butt issue, I think some smokers think its not littering. You find piles of those things on stumps elk hunting, in duck hunting spots, on the ice, shoreline, etc. Pick up yer butts butt heads!

Offline pike_fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:28 PM »
Good way to look at it Idahogator!  People that leave wads of fishing line around are just as frustrating to deal, and empty worm containers floating around rank right up there as well!!
Fishing, the best stress management seminar for the money!

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:33 PM »

And the women on the boat float that insist on flashing everyone are getting heavier and heavier and nastier and nastier.

:%$#!:
LMAO :roflmao: :roflmao: :woot:
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:37 PM »
Filleted carp? :o

Presumably arrowed by bowfishermen who fileted the slabs for smoking. The snow-covered pile of remains is still there about 30 feet from the kiosk at the Lake Helena WMA, so help yourself to a little frozen jerky.  ;) 

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:39 PM »
Good way to look at it Idahogator!  People that leave wads of fishing line around are just as frustrating to deal, and empty worm containers floating around rank right up there as well!!

Thanks Pike.    :bow:

I've even found usable clothing (donate-able), and enormous quantities of fishing line.      Grrr !    :%$#!:

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:54 PM »

Especially in artificial only stretches.

Last year we jumped out of the boat (on the upper three miles of the Big Horn, west bank) to grab some worm containers and cans we had seen on the bank from the water the day before. What we also found was a willow stick with about twelve rotting browns strung on it. Just sick behavior.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:02 PM »
Wow.....By reading through all the replies, it saddens me even more to see just how widespread this really is. I've encountered this more & more over the past 10 years during the spring, summer & fall seasons. Whether it be camping or ATVing into mountain lakes, the amount of trash being left behind in our great outdoors by others is reaching new highs. I've just never encountered it during the winter until last hardwater season, which for some reason was a complete shock to me. Maybe during the winter it's just hidden better, who knows. As 207 in the 406 stated, "Pack It In, Pack It Out, Leave No Tracks"..........Great rule to live by in the great outdoors of our state, just wish all the idiot litterbugs would jump on board  !!

Keep the replies coming, this has turned into a pretty good read.

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:52 PM »
Not sportsmen per se, but look at every exit on I 90 or I 94. Diapers, McDonalds bags, general trash, bottles of yellow fluids... >:(   Who even want to pick this stuff up?

Thinking back the most shocking I ever saw was the Yellowstone River right below Gardiner above McConnells access. The town sewer system pumps (system shared with Mammoth in YNP) had no back up generator and the power had gone out in the night. Raw sewage was being dumped right into the river and tampons and NEEDLES were washing up in the shore and bobbing down the river. Hundreds of needles. Opened my eyes to meth more than anything could. One nights worth, and much coming from a national park.

Offline flatgo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:58 PM »
yep people need to take care of places and accesses or lose them. It stinks a few ruin it for all

Offline bigforkG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2015, 03:09 PM »
Trash leaves trash.

Offline SLIMMETT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 13, 2015, 07:09 PM »
Hunters and Fishermen leaving trash behind is one of the main reasons private landowners are shutting off access to private land.  Trash, leaving gates open, driving off designated routes, and unfortunately disrespect altogether has locked gates.  In the end it is private property, you can't blame them.

Maybe fines for littering should be much greater to discourage this laziness.

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #29 on: Jan 13, 2015, 07:32 PM »
I smoke, but I also dispose of my butts in a bucket. Along with empty Rockstar cans, sandwich bags, etc. Sad to see people throw their garbage in the outdoors. Many times I've seen bait pucks left by some sh*thead because they are to lazy to clean their buckets out at home!

I don't litter in your yard, don't do it our yard!!!!  If I catch you leaving trash, you will hear it from me!
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.