Author Topic: Granby  (Read 2486 times)

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Granby
« on: Jan 11, 2015, 09:44 PM »
Fished Granby again today, we caught quite a few. The ice is getting better everyday, we had a snowmobile out on it. Ice was 7" where we were and a little less noisy compared to yesterday.. Still some sketchy looking areas but it is getting there. Not many people fishing today  probably due to the game.

Offline PhosphorescentPheasant

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Granby
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2015, 10:53 PM »
Thanks for the report, headed there Friday.

Offline iceholez

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2015, 07:03 PM »
Going up this weekend. Hope their hungry!
Fish, Eat, Sleep, Fish, Eat, Sleep.

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2015, 10:19 PM »
Fished today, the bite was quite a bit slower than it has been. Didn't see as many fish on screen and a lot of lock jaw. Real noisy ice again. My friend had one shift of the ice that put his buddy heater out inside his hut. Spooky! Probably nothing to worry about with 7" of ice but still. Going back out in the morning hoping for some hungry pigs. Figure one of us is due a tugger. Still nobody fishing the middle.  The more we moved that direction the thinner it got.

Offline iceholez

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2015, 11:08 PM »
Thanks for the update. Good luck in the a.m.!
Fish, Eat, Sleep, Fish, Eat, Sleep.

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2015, 03:22 PM »
Ice real loud again bumping around. When another snowmobile comes by it's really something else. Got a pressure ridge from the highway area all the way to Harvey (no way around) getting bigger each day. I've heard they are pumping so maybe this accounts for the noise and movement. Bite was slow today 15 fish 2 people. Lot of lookers on a dead stick but real timid if ya move it. Lot of small fish today. Need some more snow on the lake. Better than working!

Offline DanDANthefisherman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live to fish
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2015, 07:40 PM »
More Snow? No, not even !

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:05 PM »
Ice with no snow on it is awful hard on the snowmobiles. Plus with some snow maybe this pressure ridge will be less of a problem. Not talking about a couple feet or anything. A little weight on this ice it will sag, push some water up on top so we can freeze some from  the top and gain some inches, because we are not gaining a whole lot where I been fishing.

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2015, 03:41 PM »
Good news just saw 2 snowmobiles cross the pressure ridge that has the lake split in 2. Had 1 rumble in the ice today that kinda made ya stumble if you were walking. Ever since then the ice has been real quiet. Bite is good today and the fish are bigger.

Offline bronvike21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2015, 04:42 PM »
Thinking of venturing up that way on sat. Not bringing the sled so going to have to hoof it pulling our gear. Anyone fishing north of the boat ramp on south side of lake. Can't remember the name of campground down there. Cannot find where I hid my maps so I could "know where they were next season".

Offline Teamroper3684

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2015, 07:13 PM »
Balls of steel sounds like, but glad someone did it.... Glad the fish are acting hungry and the ice seems to be quieting down, caution to everyone and good luck to everyone at the tourney I can't wait, and I may be up there Thursday without my fishing partner so if anyone needs someone to fish with or would allow myself to fish with them if my partner can't I would be greatly appreciative... Just don't like being on ice alone.

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2015, 07:43 PM »
they crawled across real slow! But across is across. Im gonna take a look tomorrow.

Offline Teamroper3684

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2015, 07:47 PM »
That would be awesome, I'm sure more people at the tourney will do it, but I'd like to know what were looking at for ice thickness in the middle of the lake between the boat ramp an pump station... I haven't heard anyone checking that far but sounds like a nice hard solid 7"

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2015, 08:01 PM »
Teamroper, quite a few people fishing the area you were wondering about. Lots of sleds and a few 4wheelers on the lake today. It was beautiful up here today. A few of the snowmobiles were buzzing to close to some huts. When you rip past somebody fishing with the ice the way it is right now it sends a shock wave rolling under the ice.  I assume these guys don't realize it cause you wouldn't hear it over the engine noise. My buddy got knocked over inside his hut as he was inside setting it up when the shift came.   It knocked over a can of pop in my hut but I'm starting to get used to the rumble and the noise. It's the big ones that catch ya off guard.No way to avoid it. Bite was good 20 fish and saw 8" of ice today.

Offline Teamroper3684

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2015, 09:06 PM »
Ya that's kind of scary, my dad will not like the shock waves at all, so we will most likely be staying towards the shallower areas when he comes up for Saturday, and Sunday, but me and my brother will try and cover ground on Friday to see what we can find and hopefully we can find a good area, everyone wants to place in the tourney but were just gonna hope for some fish and have a good time with family... And like always we hope for that lunker ya, but thanks a ton for the constant updates... I really appreciate it since we can't really get up there to check on out own.

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2015, 09:20 PM »
I think the main cause of all the ice drama is that  they are pumping which is causing the pressure that is easily aggravated by other stuff.i really doubt anything bad could happen but it does freak ya out when the bad ones happen no matter who you are. Can't stay home gotta fish and it's getting better. I saw 3 or 4 24" inch fish killed today. Getting close to the shoulda let em go size. In my opinion.

Offline Teamroper3684

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2015, 09:29 PM »
Are they pumping in or out?

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2015, 09:41 PM »
Out, owner of one marina said level has dropped 4 feet since ice on, ice drops makes noise? Who knows, it just freaks me out, but it will get better. Canal is open water so they are pumping. From what I here from locals I guess the pump people really don't do anything around " for the good of the ice" probably not a realistic concern in the scope of their job. Gonna get a big one tomorrow!

Offline Teamroper3684

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2015, 10:58 PM »
That is scary, my dad told me a story of a long time ago when he used to fish granby before I was born and he went out with buddies and drilled a hole... No water came up when they got through the ice and the water was 2feet below the ice, that's when he said he would never fish granby again if they were pumping water out, but as long as the ice is staying with the water shouldn't be much concern... And I can see why the pressure ridges are forming now with water levels dropping, hopefully it stabilizes and the rest of the season can be better, good luck on the big one tomorrow

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2015, 11:28 PM »
Scary indeed.  I've read stories about GM ice being 20 feet up above the water line.  I'd basically die of fright if I drilled a hole and saw a 20 foot cavern under the ice.   :-\
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline thebig1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2015, 10:08 AM »
I would have to see proof of this happening. I think it's a myth to scare people off. Ice is not strong enough to support itself.
Here fishy fishy!!!!!!
[IMG]

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2015, 11:21 AM »
The caverns are why you can't ice rampart or the lakes on the peak.

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2015, 05:58 PM »
I would have to see proof of this happening. I think it's a myth to scare people off. Ice is not strong enough to support itself.

I don't need to see it to believe it  :o   I know of a couple reliable sources that have told me about that happening, that's good enough for me

Offline Kinosao

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2015, 10:13 AM »
Ditto that ice cavern fear

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2015, 10:32 AM »
Ice caverns are a total myth!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2015, 11:07 AM »
I agree, "caverns" seem pretty unlikely, since ice is heavy and would tend to settle/crack as the water level lowers.  But there are many accounts of a small temporary air gap between the water and the ice -- probably doesn't last very long.  Who knows?  Here's a discussion from a while back:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=102896.0
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2015, 12:11 PM »
You can get them around like rocks and such where the ice can attach itself in multiple areas.   But these pockets are isolated in small areas.  The main sheet of  ice follows the water as it goes up or down. 
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2015, 01:56 PM »
The caverns are why you can't ice rampart or the lakes on the peak.
Rampart Reservoir and the Catamount Reservoirs trio are owned by Colorado Springs Utilities but they close them in winter cause the entry fees won't cover the overhead to keep them open. Unsupported ice is just too brittle to clear span any significant distance and certainly not across a lake. However, there seem to be a number of credible reports so I guess something of the kind could happen for a short time with a solid ice sheet over a limited area.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2015, 09:53 AM »
Like what Mike said, was up there yesterday (Granby) and notice going down the trail to the ice, could hear a hollow sound when first stepping on any ice.  And like most places this year, catching is almost a thing of the past.  With Granby's higher water level, moved around the points, several water depths and didn't mark as many fish as in past years.  Found catching anything was like other reports......SLOW.....
Bud

Offline lvrider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2015, 03:12 PM »
rampart doesnt need any more meat heads killing big fish. so im glad its closed during winter.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.