Author Topic: My First Time  (Read 4015 times)

Offline BlindSquirrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
My First Time
« on: Jan 04, 2006, 09:14 PM »
I had always had a desire to go ice fishing.  From the first time I saw people fishing on a lake, on the ice I knew it was for me, however my mother saw things differently.  She thought it was too dangerous, which was kind of funny because I was allowed to ice skate on ponds and lakes all the time.  But for some reason ice fishing was too dangerous.

My mother had always told me that once I moved out I could do what ever I wanted.  I was married, in the Army and stationed at Ft. Drum in NY, when I came to the realization I could go ice fishing and no one could stop me (not even my wife). 

I had heard that there was a good lake close to my house, so I decided to check it out.  I went down to the lake and walked around for awhile, I didn’t talk to anyone but I did learn a few things that day.  Things like you need some thing to drill a hole in the ice with, some sort of scoop to clear the hole once you made it, people used portable shanties, and that they hauled all of their gear on sleds.  This was in the time before the internet.

Taking my newly gained knowledge, I headed to the local drug/sporting goods/crafts store.  I went to the ice fishing section and bought a pole that looked big enough to handle pike, a scoop, and a few jigging lures that the package said pike on.  I also picked up a kid’s sled to haul my gear. 

I was delighted to find out that the Outdoor Recreation facility on base rented tip-ups and gas augers by the day or the weekend.  It was $1 for 5 tip-ups for the day and $5 for the auger.

The only thing left was a portable shanty.  I figured that the old dome tent I had laying around would suffice.  So I set it up in the living room, cut a hole in the floor, got my beach chair and was in business.

In the living room

I loaded up my sled and headed out onto the ice.  Once I got a little ways from shore I realized I had no idea what I was actually doing.  I looked around saw a few other people fishing and figured that I didn’t want to make a fool of myself in front of them so I went the other way.

I walked for a while and figured that seeing I didn’t know anything about the lake any spot was as good as another.  So I unpacked my sled, got the auger, used my best judgment on how to start it, and proceeded to drill my first hole.  The ice was well over 12 inches thick and took longer that I expected to drill through.  Once I made it though I learned my next lesson.  When you pull the auger back up the hole, a lot of slush and water comes with it.  I was glad I was wearing rubber boots.

The next thing I learned was that it is very difficult to set up a dome tent in the wind by yourself.   But seeing that I was a soldier I was able to get past this obstacle.  I threw everything I brought into the tent, including the auger, to keep it from blowing away.  I set up my beach chair, lit my Coleman lantern for a little heat, and came to the realization that I had no idea how exactly to jig for pike.  I looked over the selection of pike lures that I had purchased and selected the jigging Rapala.  I figured I couldn’t go wrong with a Rapala.  I tied it on, sent it down the hole and made some jigging motions.

Within in five minutes of starting to fish a strong gust of wind came up and blew the side of my tent into my lantern melting a big hole in the side.  The lantern still distinctly shows the remnants of the melted tent material on its lid.  It was at this point I was glad I decided to fish away from the crowd.  I turned off the lantern and made a mental note that dome tents, wind and lanterns do not make a good combination.

A little while later, after some less than graceful jigging, something happened, the line pulled back.  I had actually done it, I caught a pike!

First one

As it turned out, this was the first year in nearly 50 that anyone was allowed to fish this lake.  The DEC and Cornell University, were doing a study on the effects of fishing a nearly “virgin” body of water.  I probably could have stuck my foot down the hole and eventually something would have bitten it. 

I made it out on the lake several more times that winter; actually you couldn’t keep me off of it.  This is where I made my famous (at least to myself) -60 F wind-chill outing.  I usually took several of my friends and have several good memories; we caught a lot of fish that winter.  The dome tent however, never made it back out. 

Unfortunately for my ice fishing opportunities I was transferred to Germany in the spring and it was 6 years before I was able to get back out on the ice.

I am thinking of taking a road trip back to this lake this year.  It has been over 10 years since I have fished it and I think it is time again.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: My First Time
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:37 AM »
Great story.   ;D  I'm glad that all the mishaps did not discourage you from ice fishing again. You'll always remember that first fish.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Poorboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2006, 11:46 AM »
BlindSquirrel, yes, we were definitely on the same wavelength!  What impressed me about your well written account was that you didn't need anyone to coax or help you get out there...it was irresistible and that was that.  I can identify. Have a great season.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2006, 01:46 PM »
Probably some of the same stuff a lot of us went through. I can remember sitting on a bucket next to a big heavy fuel oil construction heater. I dragged it out onto the ice and beat a couple of holes in the ice with a dull spud bar, lit it up and found out that an a windy day all it does is melt a hole in the ice. Last time I used that heater. I also went through the tent on the ice thing with a catalytic heater and did nothing but freeze. Do they ice fish in Germany??
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline ICE LUNATIC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiney eyes here i come!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2006, 08:08 PM »
Every one has to learn weather it be with someone with knowledge or on your own.Tight lines to you and stay fishing! :tipup:
Trying to become a shiney eye king!

Offline BlindSquirrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2006, 07:19 PM »
Do they ice fish in Germany??

I would think they do but not anywhere near where I was stationed, it was too warm.  I tried not to think about fishing when I was over there.  One of the first things I did when I got to Germany was ask how to get a fishing license.  The process for getting one was so involved that I didn’t even try.  :%$#!: 

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2006, 09:38 AM »
Great story Blind squirrel!  If oyur back up this way now, then keep the fishing in mind and don't let this poor ice making winter discourage you, we'll be back out there soon, this next 2 weeks is going to help.  Give me a pm on here when you read this, I'm familiar with the Chaumont Bay, Jefferson and St Lawrence county area, I think we can find some good pike this year as long as we get good ice.

And, as a former Marine,my thanks to you and your Army comrades for the job you're doing...it's well appreciated...Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline happy perch fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2006, 05:49 PM »
i did'nt think it was minus 60 because i live in western canada and the coldest it ever got was -55 with windchill. u probably mean minus -25

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2006, 06:11 PM »
i did'nt think it was minus 60 because i live in western canada and the coldest it ever got was -55 with windchill. u probably mean minus -25

He's talking about fahrenheit.  In upstate NY we get quite a bit of -40F ambient air temps..not so much now as in some years past, but it's still common...and when the wind is blowing 20-30 MPH, (not KPH) from the north, then wind chills approach 55-60 degrees below zero...Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2006, 05:43 PM »
great story blind squirrel! no matter what new things we try in our lives, and no matter how successful we become, we were all beginners the first time. glad it didn't discourage you from the greatest sport in the world.

Offline BlindSquirrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2006, 05:42 AM »
I’m happy to see this story still getting some attention.  Thank you for the replies. 

I did in fact mean -60 F.  Esox Slayer pretty much summed it up.   We had a week where the temperatures were -20 to -30. Throw in a stiff wind (especially on the ice) and you can read the wind-chill charts yourself.  Needless to say, I was the only one on the ice that day and the guy at the check station was very surprised to see me. 

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2006, 04:17 PM »
What makes ice fishing so rewarding is the work that is involved in being a succesful icefisherman. Anyone can get a line in the water in the summertime and catch fish. It takes a special breed of man to have the cojones to try to catch them on the hard water in the freezing cold. We've all been rookies at it before. Good to read the story.   
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2007, 05:46 PM »
funny
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.