The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Bomoseen Smelt  (Read 5109 times)

Offline Fish Hard

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bomoseen Smelt
« Reply #30 on: Jan 13, 2015, 04:22 AM »
I know of at least 4 people from just across the border in ny that bought their non-resident license in vt just to fish for the smelt that vt now has again. They heard about it on here... And they have been slamming them since...
Word does get around! I doubt it will help the economy any though!

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #31 on: Jan 13, 2015, 04:48 AM »
Its not just the wiggle, this thread is named "Bomoseen smelt" and Ice shanty is the most popular fishing forum I know of. And another thing if the state has figured out how to stock smelt, let the people come. It is probably really good for local business's who suffer enough in the winter.
Oh here I go again, If we keep fishing the smelt hard we will be creating a need for jobs at the hatchery so they can grow more smelt for us to catch and spend Money on. we'll be boosting the economy one smelt at a time ;D
Maybe I should have been a politician ;)
Blah, blah, blah
11:03 is past my bedtime, I should block my pc from letting me post past 930
Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:50 AM »
FFS people on this forum will argue over anything, and if there isnt something to argue about they sure as hell will make something up so they can! Give it a break people!
Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #33 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:14 AM »
All I'm saying is, when a person shows a great catch and names the lake they can be caught on in there YouTube videos, it eventually will draw many anglers that normally would pass on that lake. How hard is it to show technique on a species of fish and omit the name of the lake they are being caught on.  Not a huge deal to me really, I do enjoy catching these smelt, it's my first year ever doing it. After watching the videos you posted I jumped all over it. You seem like a nice dude wiggle, but I don't think it's helping the smelt population by advertising it's the best place to catch them. Again I'm just one of your many viewers that decided to venture over from ny to cash in on bomo smelt. So with that being said, thank you for the invite wiggle.

Thanks for the comments, But Its no big secert that smelt bite on Bomo is the best thing that happened to bomo in a long time. I encourage anglers to take advantage of this great fishery, especially the ones that have little kids , it gives me great pleasure seeing a little angler fishing for smelt or perch and catching fish instead of playing a video game all day. When i mainly do a video it shows anglers that this fun what i do and  maybe encourage them to get out there and try some of these great lakes i fish . But i do appreciate your support
Fish on Brother
Bigwiggle
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #34 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:15 AM »
Its not just the wiggle, this thread is named "Bomoseen smelt" and Ice shanty is the most popular fishing forum I know of. And another thing if the state has figured out how to stock smelt, let the people come. It is probably really good for local business's who suffer enough in the winter.
Oh here I go again, If we keep fishing the smelt hard we will be creating a need for jobs at the hatchery so they can grow more smelt for us to catch and spend Money on. we'll be boosting the economy one smelt at a time ;D
Maybe I should have been a politician ;)

Thats a great way to think about it.. Way to go buddy  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline Fish Hard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 13, 2015, 10:16 AM »
oh, im not b***hin or stirring the pot. im just saying that this site really gets the word out much faster than in the past.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #36 on: Jan 13, 2015, 10:38 AM »
im just saying that this site really gets the word out much faster than in the past.

This is very true. There are lots of "lurkers" that don't even have to register as users and have access to all the good info put out here.

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
« Reply #37 on: Jan 13, 2015, 01:37 PM »
I think everyone should stay home on those nice warm days so I can have the whole place to myself,oh, and leave my browns and bass alone,too.

Offline percheater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:23 PM »
I have heard that alewives hurt perch populations as well. I have this year caught some monster perch stuffed with them. Some still had tails sticking out of their mouths. Am wondering if we will have slammer perch a lot more.
Gary Owen

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 14, 2015, 07:39 AM »

Offline vticeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 14, 2015, 02:22 PM »
Fairlee? That place sucks! dink perch, stunted bass and pickerel, homely trout that's all you'll catch in there. Bomo and Waterbury are the only places with smelt

Just so people know, Bomo and Waterbury are not, and I repeat, "NOT" the only places in Vermont with smelt. There are many lakes in Vermont that has smelt in them. I can name at least six lakes within a decent drive from home where I can get them from 4-6"  or 8-12". you just have to be willing to get off your ass and go!! Bomo is a great lake but just like lake George in NY, the smelt will be good for several years then bad for several years. they all run in cycles. also I agree, I can't remember who said it, that its a good time to put limits (NY was 2 quarts) on them.

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 18, 2015, 04:37 PM »
How's the action been. Saw a picture of a shanty town on bomo, curiouse to know if it's over the smelt?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #42 on: Jan 19, 2015, 11:57 AM »
Number 1 fisherman's excuse for unexplained poor fishing "must be fished out"

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #43 on: Jan 19, 2015, 12:33 PM »
Number 1 fisherman's excuse for unexplained poor fishing "must be fished out"

Ba-ziiiiiiiing!!!!  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 19, 2015, 05:56 PM »
Don't be lazy,go find out for yourself instead of asking! Haha isn't that what you just told the guy in ny about kings bay?

Haha it is bud I was actually being sarcastic with my post. More or less implying things got a bit crowded since this thread. But you would have to read the entire thread to catch that. Not just the last posts of a person. Since you like to research posts, research his and you will see the only info he wants is a hot bite on walleye from his shanty. Enjoy your season, I'll be over to load up on smelt and browns as soon as I hit the 100 lakers jigged mark. On 41 now so see ya next week!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.