The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Bomoseen Smelt  (Read 5108 times)

Offline BomoBrown

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bomoseen Smelt
« on: Jan 11, 2015, 07:34 AM »
I went out last night and the action was great. The smelt are smaller this year, but they will taste better and feed the trout better.  It feels good to be back in action.

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Bomoseen Smelt
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2015, 05:43 PM »
They will be gone before we know it.....

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2015, 06:18 PM »
I'm actually glad to hear that they're smaller!  I like it when they're small enough to eat the bones!

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2015, 09:25 PM »
I was out there tonight. And absolutely hammered this smelt and I only fished about 2 1/2 hours and caught over 100+ Smelt And the funny thing is I did not catch one on any kind of spikes or minnow  All my smelt came on Berkeley gulp maggots. Video and pictures are coming soon
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2015, 11:06 PM »

With the help of this site and youtube video proof... You can almost garentee it!!! 

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish now or never !!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:11 AM »
I was out there tonight. And absolutely hammered this smelt and I only fished about 2 1/2 hours and caught over 100+ Smelt And the funny thing is I did not catch one on any kind of spikes or minnow  All my smelt came on Berkeley gulp maggots. Video and pictures are coming soon
How much ice, green dump safe?

Offline grampieshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2015, 08:16 AM »
4" sunday where the 88 sits ice hook.
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2015, 08:42 AM »
Funny how such a small fish can be so sought after. My local lake is getting cleaned out as well, shanty town is back and they are cleaning house. They are fun to catch, but the little buggers don't release well, I tried the other night. time to target something else
Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish now or never !!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:07 AM »
88 is on the ice? Great! Grampieshanty is quick! Ha

Offline miknvt

• IceShanty Rookie
  • How are they biting
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2015, 10:19 AM »
 :'( Went out for the first time yesterday for perch. They are smaller this year also. About 15 dinks 1 keeper.
There ain't no fish in this frogpond

Offline homey53

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2015, 10:35 AM »
I'm a newbie here. Just wondering if you can get on at Indian Point?

Offline miknvt

• IceShanty Rookie
  • How are they biting
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2015, 11:47 AM »
I fished Indian point yesterday. Out beyond the point about 3 to 4 inches 2 shanties out there already.
There ain't no fish in this frogpond

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2015, 12:57 PM »
you are not going to fish all the smelt out of Bomo with a rod and reel in the winter,ridiculous.

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2015, 03:26 PM »
you are not going to fish all the smelt out of Bomo with a rod and reel in the winter,ridiculous.
That's what they said about St. Catherine back in the 80's.  I hope they do stick around, should make for some really nice trout.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline grampieshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2015, 03:36 PM »
88 is on the ice? Great! Grampieshanty is quick! Ha
Not on the ice yet.Because it weighs so much I like to wait till theres 8-9 inches minimun
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2015, 04:05 PM »
With the help of this site and youtube video proof... You can almost garentee it!!!

i highly doubt it.. If you know what i know, then i believe the Smelt Population will last very long time in Bomo . The smelt are very healthy and thriving.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2015, 04:05 PM »
I don't think they were dipping Bomo or Fairlee and they went  missing, they are back now,
but a guy had a 5 gal pail  3/4 full that's a lot of smelt....

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2015, 04:07 PM »

Thank You Frank for that Comment!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: some people just dont get it or care to do there homework like me . I just dont fish for the fun , i study the reports on fish and talk to bioligst and other people at the vermont fish and Game.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2015, 04:11 PM »
That's what they said about St. Catherine back in the 80's.  I hope they do stick around, should make for some really nice trout.

The Big factor for the smelt diminishing in st Catherine like Champlain , is because some retard years ago that if he used live alewives for bait that would be great idea , Once the Alewives population started thriving the smelt population started to decline. I use to have my shanty at st catherine and i remember fishing for smelt down there.

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2015, 04:17 PM »
Well Joe where did they go .I know how there got back , same as fairlee ,it went from a couple of slow years to none....I am not saying they will kill it in a week but how many can you you get in 4 gallons

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2015, 04:33 PM »
Ill tell you in the morning......   ;D

Only kidding.  Now would be a good time to put a limit on them eh?

Offline FlyPredatorVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2015, 04:38 PM »
How big are the smelt this year? I would love to get my Master Angler smelt out of Bomo. The bio's were suggesting it as my best bet because of the bigger fish last year (likely from the stocking 4 years ago).

I also heard that what killed the smelt in Bomo was that the stream that they spawn in got dammed up by beavers and since it ran through a state park the park would not remove the dam. Brilliant move...
Avid fly angler, rookie ice fisherman, lifetime fish geek

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2015, 04:41 PM »
Well Joe where did they go .I know how there got back , same as fairlee ,it went from a couple of slow years to none....I am not saying they will kill it in a week but how many can you you get in 4 gallons
Fairlee? That place sucks! dink perch, stunted bass and pickerel, homely trout that's all you'll catch in there. Bomo and Waterbury are the only places with smelt

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 12, 2015, 04:53 PM »
Actually ended up catching a few small smelt on Champlain jigging for perch this weekend. Just small ones but good to see them.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline FlyPredatorVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:21 PM »
safe to say every fish you want to catch is a master angler. Master angler or BUST YO!

Not every fish, but I have a plan man! Goals.. I gots me some goals son!
Avid fly angler, rookie ice fisherman, lifetime fish geek

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:01 PM »
How big are the smelt this year? I would love to get my Master Angler smelt out of Bomo. The bio's were suggesting it as my best bet because of the bigger fish last year (likely from the stocking 4 years ago).

I also heard that what killed the smelt in Bomo was that the stream that they spawn in got dammed up by beavers and since it ran through a state park the park would not remove the dam. Brilliant move...

Now here is a Guy who has done his homework just like what i usually do..  :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow: :bow:

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:03 PM »
Actually ended up catching a few small smelt on Champlain jigging for perch this weekend. Just small ones but good to see them.

I know there in there because I have seen them in the Lakers and Salmon mouths when i am doing charters in the Spring and Fall.. along with the Alewives.

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:21 PM »
i highly doubt it.. If you know what i know, then i believe the Smelt Population will last very long time in Bomo . The smelt are very healthy and thriving.

All I'm saying is, when a person shows a great catch and names the lake they can be caught on in there YouTube videos, it eventually will draw many anglers that normally would pass on that lake. How hard is it to show technique on a species of fish and omit the name of the lake they are being caught on.  Not a huge deal to me really, I do enjoy catching these smelt, it's my first year ever doing it. After watching the videos you posted I jumped all over it. You seem like a nice dude wiggle, but I don't think it's helping the smelt population by advertising it's the best place to catch them. Again I'm just one of your many viewers that decided to venture over from ny to cash in on bomo smelt. So with that being said, thank you for the invite wiggle.

Offline homey53

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:40 PM »
I fished Indian point yesterday. Out beyond the point about 3 to 4 inches 2 shanties out there already.
Thanks. Lots of cold nights predicted for this week. Should be a 1/2 foot, or more, by the weekend?

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2015, 10:03 PM »
All I'm saying is, when a person shows a great catch and names the lake they can be caught on in there YouTube videos, it eventually will draw many anglers that normally would pass on that lake. How hard is it to show technique on a species of fish and omit the name of the lake they are being caught on.  Not a huge deal to me really, I do enjoy catching these smelt, it's my first year ever doing it. After watching the videos you posted I jumped all over it. You seem like a nice dude wiggle, but I don't think it's helping the smelt population by advertising it's the best place to catch them. Again I'm just one of your many viewers that decided to venture over from ny to cash in on bomo smelt. So with that being said, thank you for the invite wiggle.
Its not just the wiggle, this thread is named "Bomoseen smelt" and Ice shanty is the most popular fishing forum I know of. And another thing if the state has figured out how to stock smelt, let the people come. It is probably really good for local business's who suffer enough in the winter.
Oh here I go again, If we keep fishing the smelt hard we will be creating a need for jobs at the hatchery so they can grow more smelt for us to catch and spend Money on. we'll be boosting the economy one smelt at a time ;D
Maybe I should have been a politician ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.