The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Would you guys trust 4 1/4 inches enough to put up my clam tent?  (Read 1229 times)

Offline jto97

• IceShanty Rookie
Exactly what the title says. Thanks guys

Offline jto97

• IceShanty Rookie
Bump

Offline polarkraft

• IceShanty Rookie
Yes  but  by tent do you  mean a flipover or one with ice anchors  . Either  one is fine flip overs are easier  to  stay  with the schools.

Offline jto97

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice anchors

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yes, yes, yes. Three is fine if the ice is solid. Better to be sitting In a tent with weight distributed by the sled than walking around on sketchy ice. Make sure that the edges are good at the end of the day if temps are above freezing, especially on south facing shorelines. Hubs are fine too.

Offline Chuckles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Yes 4 inches of ice is fine for a Clam tent.

Now ice anchors....that's another subject.

Depends on what size auger you have.  6 inch hole requires a 5 inch anchor.  8 inch hole requires a 7 inch anchor.  10 inch hole ...that's right 9 inch anchor.     Get a soup can or coffee can whatever fits down the hole. Fill it full of concrete, place an eye bolt in the top of it. When the concrete hardens tie a 50 foot rope onto the eye bolt.

NO NO those only work for soft water .... I'm just messing with you.

Google ice anchors you'll get the picture. they are a screw you wind into the ice to anchor your tent when the wind blows.

Offline cabst119

• Team IceShanty Regular
I wouldn't hesitate for a second unless you weigh over 300 lb.

Offline newberry kid

• Team IceShanty Regular
You can drive a truck on 4 1/2 inches !

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac

NO YOU CANNOT!!!!

Before giving incorrect advice/comments, think of the consequences that might result should a first timer actually listen to this bad advice!!!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Mike Reilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
i don't think i would drive my quad on early ice only 4 and a half inches   definitely not a car not mine anyway

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Did it saturday on Millers.

Offline maxsr

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice that thick and clear is good, but don't just go out blind it could be 4 1/2" at shore and 2" 20 feet away check it as you go and make sure you are safe you are hauling all your equipment and you out on the ice so add it up. And the other guys that have to come up to you and see how you are doing one or two extra guys add up. Just a thought.....
Maxsr

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
NO YOU CANNOT!!!!Before giving incorrect advice/comments, think of the consequences that might result should a first timer actually listen to this bad advice!!!
X2. This is absolutely boneheaded! :cookoo: Don't drive a truck on 4.5 inches!! :nono:
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Better yet YOU drive YOUR truck out on 4 1/2 inches of ice, and everybody on shore will wave to you as your truck goes "bye-bye"!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline jeepdude64

• IceShanty Rookie
he is correct you could drive a truck on 4 1/2 inches ONCE.. now driving back will be a different story you would truly need a lift.  post like this should of be deleted by the moderator.  I watch tv (the tru channel) and realize that one might read this and try it. 

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular

How dumb.

I hope you are joking, and I hope everyone knows how stupid your statement is. This site helps many people stay safe, and your not doing any part to help keep it that way. Bonehead.
It's not about the fish.................. .

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
How dumb.

I hope you are joking, and I hope everyone knows how stupid your statement is. This site helps many people stay safe, and your not doing any part to help keep it that way. Bonehead.

4X
My ATV will go through 3.5" belive me I know!
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
 First Ice is always the worst  every one wanting to get out and now 4" one place and 1-1/2 " the next , this and last ice is when especially new guys on the ice get in trouble or worst. We all need to be careful it is common on some lakes to have varying ice thickness 4" of black is  grate but that doesn't mean it's the same every were

Offline Swadey1214

• IceShanty Rookie
Good solid ice yes

Offline fishing455

• IceShanty Rookie
A Tonka Truck would be ok on 4.5"  :P

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.