Author Topic: Electronics advice needed.  (Read 1935 times)

Offline shoes

• IceShanty Rookie
Electronics advice needed.
« on: Jan 07, 2015, 01:32 PM »
Primary goal: Would like to update my electronics to something that has GPS capabilities. I currently have an Lowarance x67c and paired with the Navionics app on my phone, i am set up pretty good, but would like to take things to the next level.

After weighing all of the options, i'm probably going to head the route of a Garmin 70s with the Lakevu mapping software. I have considered different lowrance (elite 5, 7 etc) and hummingbird units, but they are quite a bit more pricey and don't come with the mapping software preloaded. Right now I am perfectly happy with my X67c that I use for ice fishing, but there are no gps/mapping capabilities with the unit.

Has anybody used garmin units on the ice? They do make a transducer that they state is both an in-hull mount and could be used for ice fishing. 

Other suggestions that I should be considering? In my mind it is pretty tough to beat a 7 inch touch screen unit with mapping software for the entire U.S. preloaded, and a dual beam transducer priced all for $519. Will the touch screen be an issue when it gets really cold out?

Thanks in advance

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Electronics advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2015, 04:55 PM »
I looked at the Garmins for a backup unit, I have a Lowrance HDS 5 which is great and I went with a Humminbird Helix because is did not see a Garmin ice transducer. The only portable transducer I saw for Garmin had a suction cup I would think that kind of transducer would be very difficult to hang level especially when hole hopping I may be wrong and they do make a self leveling ice ducer. on the touch screen note I don't know if those are resistive which would work in the cold "ok" or capacitive which aren't as good and cannot be used without special gloves. Anchor Express has some good deals on the Lowrance models. The Humminbird Helix with GPS is around $300. If you do a lot of fishing in the boat I would mount a transducer on the transom and just disconnect the unit when used in the winter.

Offline shoes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:24 AM »
Thanks for the input. I hadn't looked at the helix before, and they look like a nice unit. Tough decisions to make. I did do a little more research on the garmin units and this transducer looks like it could be pretty effective ice fishing.

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/transducer-airmar-p72-500w-d-t-8-pin-750978/4,57190.html

Thanks again for the great input.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2015, 10:57 AM »
you could easily adapt the standard garmin skimmer for ice fishing

Catchin' Fish

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2015, 01:55 PM »
Primary goal: Would like to update my electronics to something that has GPS capabilities. I currently have an Lowarance x67c and paired with the Navionics app on my phone, i am set up pretty good, but would like to take things to the next level.

Thanks in advance

Why?  I think you have a good setup, unless you plan on using the finder in a boat then and only then would I go with a combined gps and finder.  I have the 68 and the Elite 5.  I started using the gps on them and that went to the wayside because its harder to get out the unit to find my fishing spot.  I like having the hand held gps or Navionics app there mush easier to handle while transporting your gear out on the ice.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2020, 11:17 AM »
Here's a question for the electronics pros out there....Is it possible to charge my fish finder ( vex fl 18)  battery from my vehicle  ?  not looking for any high tec wiserdry just a simple fix for a long weekend.  could I some how charge from a usb cable or directly from the vehicle battery ?   I'm not much of an electrition   
     Thanx

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2020, 11:34 AM »

Has anybody used garmin units on the ice? They do make a transducer that they state is both an in-hull mount and could be used for ice fishing. 

I've used a garmin 73sv for a few seasons now, I started using the open water ducer for ice but ended up getting the ice ducer.  Its a solid unit, I will say that I was underwhelmed with the LakeVU maps for the bodies of water I fish. The ice ducer makes a huge difference, sometime is was a challenge to get the open water ducer level to accurately see depth.

Not sure about the in hull option.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2020, 11:37 AM »
I use the ice ducer with my striker 4 and love it.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2020, 01:26 PM »
I've got a garmin 73cv ice bundle , pretty slick unit , I got the adapter cord to plug it into my minnkota terrova for open water as well,  the maps are decent and I really like being able to create my own on small lakes we ice fish

Offline Panfisher78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2020, 08:00 AM »
Here's a question for the electronics pros out there....Is it possible to charge my fish finder ( vex fl 18)  battery from my vehicle  ?  not looking for any high tec wiserdry just a simple fix for a long weekend.  could I some how charge from a usb cable or directly from the vehicle battery ?   I'm not much of an electrition   
     Thanx

Yes you can. Vexilar sells a 12V charger that plugs into your car cigarette lighter

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2020, 12:18 PM »
I find my Samsung J7 smartphone and Samsung Tab A 10" tablet to be least expensive and most accurate GPS devices. I use both Garmin/Navionics Boating HD and Lakemaster FishSmart  apps. Boating is $15 annual subscription and Lakemaster $10 or $30 per lake depending popularity. Both smartphone & tablet have NASS (USA) & GLONASS (Russia) GPS systems. In my house under single roof accuracy is 4' to 12'. On any lake in MN, WI, or Canada accuracy is 1' to 4'. On open water i use the Vex SonarPhone  which links to the Boating app allowing contour mapping. Boating has 3,000 HD contour lakes and Lakemsater 2,200 HD lakes. Lake contours consistant between apps. Pics show GPS satellites.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.