The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Who likes their Mora hand auger??  (Read 3180 times)

grumpymoe

Who likes their Mora hand auger??
« on: Jan 03, 2006, 08:37 PM »
Not me!!!....Grump

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Who likes their Mora hand auger??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2006, 09:06 PM »
I HATE them the lazer is the way to go .
Sax

Offline BobWhite

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2006, 12:28 AM »
Mora are great untill you bang them once then the blades are junk and you need a new set. Wish I had bought a Lazer the money I spent on blades I could have bought the Lazer.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2006, 05:36 PM »
I actually like my little Mora, nothing special, but it does get the job done, and is my choice for fishing shallow water filled with rocks and stumps.

Lazers are alot better, and the Nils are the tools of the gods...

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2006, 06:04 PM »
It was the first auger I had to replace my spud. Loved it until I got my hands on my first Lazer. Now the Mora is in retirement. Had a nice retirement party for it too. Since the auger (obviously) couldnt drink any beer I took it upon myself to drink it's share that night. I know it was greatly appreciated.
 :tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2006, 06:22 PM »
I saw the post about who likes their Jiffy, and couldn't resist.....I lent my Mora hand auger to HabaneroBob about 2 years ago and recently got it back expecting to use it on Clear Lake with the thinner ice......so if anyone here remembers me posting an outing 3 winters ago with Habby losing my new chisel down the hole....it brought back some memories when I decided to check it out..(the cutting).....BigWalleye helped out, and we very quickly drilled a new hole at the lake....perfect.....cu t just like new.....went to wipe off the blades as I ALWAYS do.......one missing!!!!!!.....OMG.....joining the chisel was one near new Mora blade.......but this is the funny part.....I checked out the blade so I could replace it....200mm stamping.....checked out the ole gas auger.....exactly the same blade....200mm......to o funny...the Tanaka power head matched up to the Mora matched the hand auger......and HabaneroBob has some more ribbing to get from me.....he laughed when I said it was at the bottom of the same lake......in fairness to Robert, I never thought of checking to make sure the hexbolts were tight........lmao....s o that is why I hate my Mora hand auger.....Grump :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline RHOLMES

• IceShanty Rookie
  • This is fishing not catching.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2006, 10:51 PM »
I love my 6" Mora, Mind you I seldom fish more than a foot of ice.  Works for me.
If you cant wow them with wisdom, baffle them with bullcrap.

Offline Pomoxis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lawyers make the best chum.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2006, 04:33 PM »
I have a 6" MORA SPOON, and I like it a lot. It was free, it is light, I can sharpen it easy enough and I have done 18" holes with it. Sometimes simpler is better. ;D
The more I fish, the more I  to fish, but the only  I need is BEER.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2006, 04:38 PM »
I love my Mora.  Its been doing what its best at for a long time now...collecting dust.  I wouldn't even consider a lazer after trying a nils master hand auger. 

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2006, 04:53 PM »
FishUSA.com has the Moras on sale, so I ordered an 8-incher just yesterday. Some of you talk like I'll be a second class citizen, but I'm optimistic that it'll be good enough for the ice around here (when there is any!)

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." --Unknown

Offline Tom Leitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2006, 11:52 AM »
My 8 inch Mora is a pain in the neck.  It cuts, but not without a ton of effort. 

If I go alone, I cut about 3 inches then take a break for a minute, then cut a few more inches, etc.  It is much easier with a group because someone else can drill while I am resting.

I am buying a new auger today and I am not skimping on price.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2006, 05:55 PM »
I have a 6" Mora and a 5" Lazer. The 6" mora turns alot harder than the lazer but really bites into the ice and cuts fast.
The 5" lazer turns very very easy and is very smooth cutting but it doesn't cut as much ice per rev as the Mora. Both
are great augers and work great. Have an 8" Nils too and it is a POS.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2006, 06:44 PM »
Have an 8" Nils too and it is a POS.

I'll take that "POS" off your hands for free ;D.

Compared to a 8" Mora or 8" Lazer, the nils is fantastic at 8". It is still 8" of ice that has to be moved though, and it takes alot to cut that much ice out.  The 6" nils is the way to go if you are planning on cutting any more than 20 or 30 holes.

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2006, 08:26 PM »
FishUSA.com has the Moras on sale, so I ordered an 8-incher just yesterday. Some of you talk like I'll be a second class citizen, but I'm optimistic that it'll be good enough for the ice around here (when there is any!)
Hey Dawger, Nothing wrong ith a Mora. Heck I used to cut thru Champlain ice 40'' with my 8'' and enjoyed it. In fact I still have a new in the box one that I've had for years. I bought a 6'' lazer and the first season one of the blades broke right in half !!!! I think Mora blades made a few years ago lasted longer and more durable than the ones found on the newer ones.

trapperdirk

« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2006, 10:59 PM »
Have an 8" Nils too and it is a POS.

Oh my , now you've gone and done it . Rotflmao ;D

TD

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2006, 11:12 PM »
Hey Dawger, Nothing wrong ith a Mora. Heck I used to cut thru Champlain ice 40'' with my 8'' and enjoyed it. In fact I still have a new in the box one that I've had for years. I bought a 6'' lazer and the first season one of the blades broke right in half !!!! I think Mora blades made a few years ago lasted longer and more durable than the ones found on the newer ones.

Thanks, Jack! I've had the Mora out a couple of times and it's worked like a champ. However, I can't imagine going through 40 inches! Actually, after the way this season has been, I can't imagine 40 inches of ice, period.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." --Unknown

Offline Tom Leitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2006, 08:15 AM »
Just used my new 8" Nils for the first time.  Cut through 12" of ice in about 15 seconds.  No effort at all required from the top hand, just a little to turn the crank.  That thing is a dream compared to my old Mora, which took about a minute and a half of hard cranking.

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those toothy critters!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2006, 10:06 AM »
I've been using my Mora this year because the ice hasn't been very thick, and I hated seeing a brand new set of blades going to waste.  With less than a foot of ice, I don't mind it at all.  More than that, and I take the Nils.  They're both 6", but I drill 2.5-3 feet of ice in about 15 sec. with the Nils, plus the offset handle is more comfortable.
"You can't catch 'em from your living room!"

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2006, 07:55 PM »
drilling holes by hand is too slow, and reminds me of work!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.