Author Topic: Standard Equipment  (Read 2388 times)

Offline Mallard

• IceShanty Rookie
Standard Equipment
« on: Jan 03, 2006, 05:16 PM »
Hi!

I am new to this forum and new to ice fishing in general. I am big in to duck hunting and thought that ice fishing might be fun and kill some time till October again :)  Actually I have only ice fished 3 times ever, those being in the last 4 days.  I havnt had too much luck but then again i dont know anything about fishing.  Im using some old jigs that my dad had that are huge, too big for panfish and a 13 dollar rod I bought.  I got an Otter Lodge for Christmas and am wondering wat my next purchase should be.  I dont have a radar or underwater camera, i cant afford one right now either, im only 16.  But what types of jigs or lures or whatever bait should I use? What type of line, sinkers and what not.  Nobody in my family ice fishes so I have no one to ask for this newbie info.  Any help would be great. Thanks

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
Re: Standard Equipment
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2006, 06:42 PM »
Mallard,

Where are you located and what are you targeting?  You'll have to narrow it down a bit for us.

kc17

"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2006, 07:56 PM »
welcome mallard, you've come to the right place. you'll learn a lot here. you don't say where you're from, but if you've been on the ice recently, you're a lot farther north than me. an otter lodge is a great start. you need an auger to cut holes, a dipper (a spoon with holes will work), to scoop out ice chips. a 13 dollar rod could be a lot or a little, depending on what your after.you need to think small for ice fishing, maggots (spikes), or waxwoms for bait. schooly rod kits come equipped, ready to go, 2 lb. test line, spring bobbers for 10 dollars or less. that's why i love this sport. go as simple or fancy as you want. check the boards, more info than your brain can digest at once. good luck and have fun.
                                                                        blue mule
                                  p.s
                                        forgot saftey. ice picks, rope, pfd's, change of clothes in your vehicle, (should have put first), never take chances. don't measure you're  success in the number or size of your catch, but the fun you had being out in nature. someone will always catch more fish, shoot more ducks, kill bigger bucks than i do. i don't have to prove anything to anyone.as long as i have fun. thats what it's all about. bobbers down and flags up.

Offline ICE LUNATIC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiney eyes here i come!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2006, 08:11 PM »
Well it really depends on what your looking for and what your fishing for.There are many nice things toi have ,but just starting out can be very expensive!
Trying to become a shiney eye king!

Offline Nozzlejocky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin...where God goes to relax!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2006, 08:27 AM »
Welcome aboard and to the sport of ice fishing.  Careful, it's addicting!  As for starting out, don't go overboard with the gadgets and gear.  I see so many people do that, then lose interest.  You can do just fine without a sonar or camera.  You have a rod, so now just get a few extra lures, a scoop, and an auger.  As for auger, the powered units are nice, but you can get by with a hand auger.  The scoop to clean a hole out.  As far as lures, I would suggest that a basic assortment would include tear drops, purists, small jig heads, and maybe a few plastic tails.  Then use spikes or waxies.  Now, these are for panfish, so for other fish, you'll need other lures.  Don't worry so much about your rod starting out.  My first was a $3 jig pole, and I still use it occasionally.  Remember, a rod and reel for ice fishing is mainly for line storage; you're not casting with it.  So a cheaper one will be just fine for beginning.  The next thing to do is get out there and fish!  The more you do it, the better you'll get.  Just be patient and have fun. 

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2006, 09:01 AM »
Tie a number 10 or 12 teardrop jig on 2lb test line.  Tip it with a couple of maggots (spikes) and jig it near the bottom in 6-10 feet of water around some weeds.  You'll ice your first panfish in no time.  Then, proceed directly to your bank and get a loan for all the crap you'll suddenly need. ;)
More importantly, come back here and let us know how you did.  Welcome to the fray!
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline Lobo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hang in There !
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2006, 10:09 AM »
Welcome to Ya Mallard !
 You have deffinately come to the right place to learn about Icefishing !! It's a great sport and the guys and gals on this site are always willing to help you out with tips and info. Great bunch of people here on IS.
  You don't need to spend a lot of money to get started. A Hand Auger would probably be the most expensive item. ( But then I have gone out without and just kicked open old holes. There are usually plenty of them around here. ) Like nozzlejockey said, those $3. jig poles work pretty well. In fact that's what I use for jigging all the time. Get 1 or 2 of them, a bucket, a few teardrop jigs, 2# or 4# line, Some split shot, a depth finder wheight, and some bait and you are good to go for pan fish. But Always remember SAFETY FIRST like blue mule said some bassic safty equipment is a good investment and always check the ice as you go, personaly I want at least 4" of good solid ice before I go out.

By the way where are you located ?

The best of luck to you ! Enjoy the sport and play it safe !
Ross in Greenville, Mi.

God made the world 3/4 water and 1/4 land. So it's plain that he meant for us to fish 3/4 of the time and work 1/4 !

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2006, 10:18 AM »
Welcome Mallard.  You have chosen the right sight for info.  Just think, if you talk nice to everyone here and ask for 1 jig from each member you could end up with over 10,000 free jigs (enough to start your new experience with).  Now thats a lot of info 8)

Offline Mallard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2006, 12:13 PM »
Hey, thanks for all the responses, I am from Minnesota and the ice is about 8ish inches that i have been on.  I mainly want to try panfish, i got a scoop now, but I keep hearing about these glowing jigs, do i need those? And where can i get maggots? should they be live or is dead ok? i have 8lb test on my rod, is that too big for sunnies and crappies? I am borrowing a hand auger which is working good. Thanks for all the info!

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2006, 12:39 PM »
Where in Minnesota?

Offline Lobo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hang in There !
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2006, 12:48 PM »
Hey, thanks for all the responses, I am from Minnesota and the ice is about 8ish inches that i have been on.  I mainly want to try panfish, i got a scoop now, but I keep hearing about these glowing jigs, do i need those? And where can i get maggots? should they be live or is dead ok? i have 8lb test on my rod, is that too big for sunnies and crappies? I am borrowing a hand auger which is working good. Thanks for all the info!
;D
Sounds like you have the basics. 8#line will work but 4# or less is better. It sinks faster and is more sensitive. It requires less sinking weight so gives a more natural presentation and action. You can find Wax Worms or Mousies at any bait shop and around here even at some local gas stations and markets. For Crappies and Perch I prefer small minnows but maggots, waxies, wigglers. etc. work pretty well for most all pan fish. Live is better but have used dead ones as long as they aren't black yet. 

:thumbsup:
Ross in Greenville, Mi.

God made the world 3/4 water and 1/4 land. So it's plain that he meant for us to fish 3/4 of the time and work 1/4 !

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2006, 01:15 PM »
WELCOME TO AN AWSOME SPORT MALLARD !
Dint know where you are in Minnesota but any ice fan that i have met from there would be willing to show you the ropes.
its a great sport and has a great group of guys doing it.
go to you're local lake and hook up with some of them .most Will be glad to introduce you to the ins and outs .
if you run into the odd man that only has time for himself thank him anyway and go to the next . talk to anyone you can you will be able to tell if they know what they are doing. . ice fishing is a constant learning experience and nobody knows it all .it sounds as if you have already gotten what you need to start .... the gear and the itch . J ust don't let those days where you go home without a bite change your mind about the sport because we have all had days like that . You know its just like duck hunting ... some days are better than others . anyway  the only way to learn is to watch , listen and try try again  and don't forget this site !
i have been ice fishing for about 25 years now and learn something almost every time i come to this site !
great group of people with more experience than you could imagine .
good luck and once again welcome to a great sport .

Offline hookedonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • is that the union hall
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2006, 01:49 PM »
stop by the magazine rack and pick up the in-fisherman ice fishing guide. that will help you alot. good luck. btw, welcome to the shanty.  :tipup:

Offline Mallard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2006, 05:59 PM »
Im located out of Big Lake, I just have a few more newbie questions

How long do u guys fish before you change color, bait, ect

If you dont have a vexlair or marcum how can you find weed beds in lakes, Im trying to go after some blue gills and read the blue gills forum and said that they are often found in weed beds.

Offline frostyicecold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2006, 06:36 PM »
I started ice fishing last year after moving to Iowa from Nevada. I was lucky enough to meet a guy on the ice that showed me what the heck to do. I learned a lot from him in a couple of hours.
Next thing I know I got an Xtreme 3 man double wide  shelter, auger, heater, built a sled , a bunch of poles, spud bar,lures, and can't wait until I get some ice out here. Hope to get some electronics but seem to be doing fine without 'em for now. You'll meet some cool people on the ice that will help ya out usually.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:56 PM »
Hey Mallard. First of all; I would forget the electronics for now. That's too much money to spend for a 16 year old. All you need are warm clothes, boots, a couple of rods, a bucket to sit on and keep your catch in, a hand auger, a scoop, a tackle bag full of teardrop jigs, waxies to put on the jigs, spoons, Jigging Raps, Swedish Pimples, hooks for minnows, split shot, slip bobbers, spring bobbers...ETC. Don't skimp on tackle. Get the glo jigs for early morning and evening. Also, get the flourescent thingy to make them glow. I still only use 14 dollar Shakespeare rods. I would invest in a good spinning reel like Shimano, that doesn't freeze. You can use them on longer rods during summer. For panfish,  I would use 2-4 LB test. I like the Berkeley Micro Ice. Good luck, and keep us posted. Oh yeah...remember what bluemule said about safety!

Offline sledneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2006, 12:06 AM »
Hey Mallard, I'm a newbie too, but I have learned one thing, look for old holes that still have a bit blood around which indicates someone else has had some luck there recently. Good Luck!

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:56 AM »
Safety first, nice newbie tip on the blood, where theres smoke theres fire.
Ask questions and learn from locals on your lake, take some advcie from here and apply it your your situation.
Be a leader not a follwer, if guys are fishing a mud flat, start there, find others and fish that similar structure in a different location
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.