The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Adding Ski's to shanty  (Read 1096 times)

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
Adding Ski's to shanty
« on: Jan 04, 2015, 09:57 PM »
I just bought my first shanty this weekend...Frabill Trekker two-man flip.  Instead of adding the aftermarket runner kit I think I want to add two old ski's to the bottom.  Sounds like a fairly easy decision, but I wanted to see if anyone had any different suggestions, or good ideas on how to do the above.  Just nervous because this was a big purchase for me and I don't want to screw it up...

Also any other modifications I should consider???
Flag up!

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Adding Ski's to shanty
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2015, 10:06 PM »
have you read about the smitty sled?
its what many of us use when theres snow on the lakes.
i might add hyfax runners to my shack any way. not always needing the smitty sled.

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2015, 10:23 AM »
Oh, that's perfect. Yeah I may not always use the smitty, so I figured I may put the Hyfax on anyway. Thanks for the link, looks like the Honey due list may get delayed....especially with this new polar vortex.

Have a nice little "pond" near my place that I slay pan fish.
Flag up!

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2015, 11:16 AM »
Someone posted this awhile back and it appears to be of better quality than the hyfax runner kits you buy. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23217&catid=868

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2015, 11:43 AM »
Thanks river rat, might do that instead to save some coin.

By the way, super random River Rat, but did you just sell a Ion auger on Ebay?  I won an auction over the weekend for one and the username for the guy is literally River Rat 78...If so, don't send it I can just pick it up if you're local!
Flag up!

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2015, 12:27 PM »
I might have to report someone for Identity Theft. Nope wasn't me. I use a cordless drill attachment for my augers.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2015, 12:32 PM »
make a smitty sled only way to go

Offline Rangerfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2015, 04:35 PM »
Get the stuff from US Plastics. I did , its thicker and you will need it anyway. I have the trekker also and used a set of ski's and pvc pipe and attached 3 inch pcs to tub add 10inch pcs of 1/2 in galv. pipe to skis, then all you have to do is lift tub slide pipe into pvc and away you go. ;D

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2015, 04:48 PM »
Get the stuff from US Plastics. I did , its thicker and you will need it anyway. I have the trekker also and used a set of ski's and pvc pipe and attached 3 inch pcs to tub add 10inch pcs of 1/2 in galv. pipe to skis, then all you have to do is lift tub slide pipe into pvc and away you go. ;D

When you placed your order what size did you end up getting? Is the first measurement the width of the bar or the thickness?

Offline rayrayshort

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2015, 07:35 PM »
I attached skis to my fish trap works great and 6yrs of draging it no holes in my tub. Go to play it again got mine for $10

Offline Rangerfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2015, 01:05 PM »
When you placed your order what size did you end up getting? Is the first measurement the width of the bar or the thickness?

If I remember right the first is the width then the thickness, I got 1"x 1" and 5 ft long, seems like it was 40 bucks and 7 bucks shipping, had it in 4 days.

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2015, 01:27 PM »
I have a pair of cross country ski's that anyone can have for FREE if they want...sitting in my garage collecting dust. PM me if interested.
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.