Author Topic: leader material  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
leader material
« on: Jan 04, 2015, 12:35 PM »
 While at BPS sat., I seen some material by Malin. If I remember, it is a braided stainless steel  line ( nylon coated?). The lbg. went pretty high without, a lot of dia. Do any of you guys use this. We fish in a group of guys who use everything, steel, heavy mono, fluoro, , without a noticeable  higher rate of strikes per leaders. I know this will cause debate, and that is cool , I learn a lot from these. thanks

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: leader material
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2015, 03:10 PM »
Was it the black Malin no-kink single strand titanium alloy leader material?  You can tie knots in it and it actually stretches when you draw them tight.  It's great stuff for pike leaders if you tie the knots properly.  It has no memory at all, always wants to lay perfectly straight.  Not cheap, nearly a dollar a foot as I recall.  Also, if you manage to put a kink in it, that's where it will break, well below its rated strength. :tipup:

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: leader material
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2015, 06:20 AM »
I use the Malin 20 lb. titanium for pike. A simple clinch knot to tie. After six or more pike caught, I need to check for wear and tear. At a dollar a foot you tend to want to get as much as you can
out of it, but you will get break offs after awhile if you don't change it out. Largest pike caught on it so far was 17 lb. 8 oz.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.