The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Green Bay Trip  (Read 1582 times)

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Green Bay Trip
« on: Jan 04, 2015, 08:37 AM »
A few of us Hoosiers are going to book a trip on the ice at Green Bay  for a few days of walleye and white fish.
Any suggestions? I hear them white fish are as good as walleye? Any truth to that ?
Just looking for some wisdom from the locals.
We'll find the Bar and Food just fine I'm sure lol.
thanks
Tom

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Green Bay Trip
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2015, 03:09 PM »
I've made a few trips to GB for Whitefish.  The locals told me they taste best when eaten fresh.  One guide told me he likes them a lot less once they're frozen.  I can't really tell the difference myself but thought I'd pass that along FWIW. 
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2015, 06:35 PM »
Thanks looking forward to it.
Tom

Offline tr7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2015, 01:58 AM »
Wallin, if you're looking to get some help while you're in Green Bay I would reccomend looking up Ryan Rassmussen. Good kid with a lot of knowledge of the Bay. You can get a hold of him by calling Green Bay's only local bait and tackle store, Smokey's On The Bay. These guys will put you on fish and have all and any of the hot baits that the fish are hitting on. You may even find yourself going home with some custom open water baits you won't find anywhere else.

Sorry if this sounds like a promotion. It's not intended to be. The fact remains though these guys are the best in the biz in this area.

Offline fishmunkee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2015, 01:02 PM »
Thaw frozen whitefish out slowly (e.g. in refrigerator) and they will be less mushy. Very tasty fish overall. Love smoking them.

No reason to get a guide for whitefish if you have ice transportation (ATV, sled, UTV). Some hot spots are 4+ miles from launch and others are 1/4 - 1/2 mile out but the parking lot is up a giant hill. Sometimes trucks can get out but never guaranteed. Techniques and rigging is available online (see youtube). Flasher is handy to let you know when fish are around and to pay attention but not so much to tease a bite like perch or walleye. Camera can be handy on tough days but can be a PIA when current is ripping.

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2015, 09:44 PM »
Thanks guys, next weekend were on the ice.
Tom

Offline acole81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2015, 01:38 PM »
Good eating fish but lots of bones. had a guy prepare them for us last year and he cooked them in a microwave and it seems to explode the little pin bones inside and then you couldn't even notice them best poor mans lobster I've ever had

Offline ValparaisoGirl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2015, 08:42 PM »
I'm a Hoosier and was fixin to post the same question.  When are y'all planning to take your trip?

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:55 AM »
Agreed they are good eating fish as far as a guide goes I'm gonna say JJ Malvitz at jjs guide service.  Young guy and a go getter took a trip with him last year and had a blast 8 guys and ended up with 78 and they were gone in two weeks smoked up awesome has plenty of room I think he has six permys and a bunch of the 4-6 man hubs and you can clean fish in his heated shop which wasa huge plus.  Like tr said its not promoting just a happy customer

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2015, 06:35 PM »
Thanks Guys had a blast. Heres some pics.

Had a great time guys and gals. If you want to take a pampered ice fishing trip this is the way to go.
We caught 24 white fish the first day and 1 walleye, 14 whitefish the second day and 1 walleye for the group of 4 of us.
I couldn't buy a walleye bite for nothing but I seen at least 6 Nice Hogs 8 to 10 lbs caught around me, the big one in this slide show was by a guy from Mich. and his first day ever on the ice, and he caught 3 that day. Fully Guided, they pick you up at the ramp and provide everything. You fish 5:30 am to about 8:30 am for walleye in 20 to 25 ft of water, then they take you out a few more miles in 70 to 80 ft of water till about 3pm for the white fish-ours were 18 to 24 inch and a blast to pull up on a frabil rod in 70 ft of water. They then take you back to the walleye spot till about 5:30 pm. 2 days guided trip with 2 nights in the Hotel with Bar and restaurant 50 ft away and excellent food  and the CC and 7 was great to lol. First time ever on or near Green Bay. Great time with Tom jr, me, an old friend Ish that lives in WI now and his friend Tom, so 3 Toms and an Ish lol.
First time I ever had white fish and thought it was great, just make sure you clean them as soon as possible off the water.

http://s139.photobucket.com/user/svenia_01/slideshow/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-01
Tom

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:15 AM »
Thanks for the report. Can I ask how much it is for a day? We'd have a place to stay so just looking at the guided fishing part...

Never fished on a lake anywhere near that size

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2015, 07:19 PM »
Theres about 3 or 4 guides that work that area and have a ton of different prices.
Google Ice Fish green Bay and look at their options. Have fun.
Tom

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.